Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Car eating CATs

It just ate a 2nd CAT in 2 weeks... what do I look for here?
I'm not driving it right now (It's in Canada, I'm in Michigan).

Apparently it was driving great after the first replacement...
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Was the new one made in China?

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/failure/index.htm

Catalytic converter failures typically fall into one of four categories:
1. Thermal failure (overheating)
2. Plugged substrate
3. Thermal shock
4. Physical damage

Thermal failure is most often caused when excessive raw fuel comes into contact with the catalyst, and "burns" in the converter instead of in the engine. The high quantity of fuel generates temperatures well in excess of the capacity of the converter, causing meltdown of the ceramic monolith. The melted ceramic could block the exhaust path, leading to a significant loss of engine power. Visible symptoms include heat-related discoloration of the converter shell.

Potential causes of thermal failure include: misfire, malfunctioning oxygen sensor, fuel delivery issue, improper choke setting/operation, and ECU malfunction.
A plugged or contaminated substrate can be the result of an overly rich air/fuel mixture, radiator sealant, and oil or antifreeze entering the exhaust flow. The resultant carbon deposits restrict the operation - and ultimately the flow characteristics - of the converter by coating the unit's reactive surface. This degrades the converter's ability to perform its chemical conversion process, leading to potentially illegal levels of HC, CO, and NOx.

Root causes of this problem are a malfunctioning O2 sensor, plugged or inoperable fuel injectors, piston blow-by, leaking head gasket, broken or frozen choke or carburetor float, excessive cranking time, and repeated incidences of running out of gas.

Thermal shock occurs when a fully heated converter suddenly is "cold-quenched," such as coming into contact with snqw or ice. This leads to sudden contraction of the converter housing, which can cause cracks and disintegration of the ceramic substrate. Symptoms include a "rattling'' sound when the converter is tapped with a fist or mallet (monolith-type converters only).

Physical damage, caused by running over road debris, collisions and other impacts, is usually easy to diagnose. This type of damage can break up the ceramic substrate or cause restriction that changes the flow characteristics of the converter or impacts the efficiency of the catalyst.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure...
Got it from a local place that the local GP members swear by (for passing emissions, performance, etc.).

Could it running rich (or lean) have killed it in less than a full tank?!
If it was a head gasket leak wouldn't the coolant have gone low enough to set off a low coolant light? (I don't have the car with me, I'm getting my dad to check it tomorrow).

I don't know for 100% certain but it's rattling at the CAT and has no power again... apparently was running great 2 days before...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Dumping fuel... Do you have a tune or bigger injectors?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2.5in pacesetter high flow for sale if you want to try it out. unless it backfiring a lot I dont see why it would be doing that.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote