Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
Removing tint

what's the best and cleanest way to remove tint? can i just find a corner and start peeling or will that leave residue or is there a "way" of doing it? will post why i'm doing this in the showcase later today or tomorrow.
alero168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
use a razor blade to pull off the tint. glue residue will be left behind. soak it with simple green for a good 5 minutes and start scraping with the razor.

it sucks but there is no other way

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Do-it-yourself tint's glue residue can just be rubbed off with fingers, too.
clutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
alero168
I Love Tiara!

thanks for the tips, the tint was done by a shop
Old 12-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Do-it-yourself tint's glue residue can just be rubbed off with fingers, too.

not when its good quality tint

Old 12-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
walmart (and I'm sure other places too) has a tint removing spray. get a corner and pull a little, and spray it between the tint and the glass. supposedly removes the tint a lot easier than with nothing.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
there is a citrus solvent that we used at the sign shop when removing vinyl and stuff like that called "rapid remove" smells like oranges... works awesome for adhesives like vinyl ghosting and tint... cant really tell ya where to buy it other than find some at a vinyl shop
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
SweetNLow
GLS member

i actually bought a bottle of that orange smellin solvent when i removed my graphics from my car. it does work well.

no that i work at a dealership i have access to all kinds of products. and that "orange" stuff turns out to basically just be diluted paint thinner with a citrus scent added to it. we get it in 50 gallon drums.

it does do a good job removing adhesives....... but when it comes to removing tint...... either use that stuff if you have access to it or simple green works just as well ive found

Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Oldsmowimp

hehehe....I charge 50 an hour for tint removal (I have a tint shop) Removal sucks.

For side windows, like already said, grab a corner...YANK. then a NEW stainless steel razor blade and some soapy water to scrape away the adheisve. Keep the glass and the blade wet because you CAN and WILL scratch the glass if you are not carefull.
The hard part is getting into the side frames, and below the bottom gasket. If you dont get all that 'hidden' adhesive you will very well have problems rolling the window up and down.

The back window........ PITA. Do NOT scrape unless you want to wreck your defroster lines. Also, I dont reccomend just grabbing a corner and pulling cuz you can also damage defroster lines. There are two good ways to handle the back window.

1. Take a black garbage bag and slit it down the side. Now lay it on the outside of the rear window..... take a STAINLESS STEEL blade and carefully trim along the outer edge of the back window so you have a Hefty bag template. Now, soak the INSIDE of the rear glass with un-diluted Simple Green, next take your trash bag template and carefully stick it to the inside of the glass. Do NOT push or squeege out the Simple Green, the bag will stick. After you have the bag on there go park it outside with the rear window pointed tward the sun for about 1-2 hrs. This will 'sweat' off the film, and if done properly the tint will usually peel right off with no glue residue, and no huffin and puffin.

Option 2. (this is what I do) use a steamer. A wallpaper steamer will work too. Use a water/simplegreen solution in the steamer and steam that ish off the back window.

Hope this helps, and more Q'z just holla at me!!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
alero168
I Love Tiara!

if you werent that far out alex i might take it to you, but all i need is the driver side off

havent had time to do but i'll let you guys know what i use.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
use a razor blade to pull off the tint. glue residue will be left behind. soak it with simple green for a good 5 minutes and start scraping with the razor.

it sucks but there is no other way

There is always 3M adhesive and wax remover. That stuff is amazing.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote