Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Exhaust question

Hey guys so just recently my car is feeling weird, kinda like the cat is a little bit restricted, and the idle has went up about 200 than what it normally is. Also its a bit louder now.

So with that being said the exhaust is magnaflow with SLP muffler and its a true dual. The exhaust is about 8+ years old I think and its all rusted on the pipes and the cat and everything. So I'm going to change my exhaust completely because its sounding bad now and I just like new shiny stuff better.

So I have a 2.4 obviously, also has mp45 supercharger 2.6 pulley and intake.

I want to go 2.5" and I have my cat and muffler picked out. Total for them both is only a little over 100$

The cat is magnaflow hi flow. 2.5" inlet and outlet
http://www.hottexhaust.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=53006&iLevel= 1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtF romSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsear chParamType=ALL

The muffler is 2.5" inlet and outlet straight in side out
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17733/

Now since my piping is rusted I just want to replace it all with the piping that will work which I believe is 2.5" since all of my other parts are 2.5" correct?

So do I take my cat and muffler to a shop and tell them to make me an exhaust system for my car using those and then 2.5" piping? Or do I buy the piping myself. Or will the shop just replace the sections of piping that is rusted?

If you can figure it out at this point I have no clue what to do if I go to a shop and ask about it so yeah..

Also, how does that set up sound?
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
No need for a catalytic converter (unless you have testing in your state). You can tell Midas to redo all the piping but they will use pressed bends, not mandrel, which will be fine.. just take your stuff, go tell the welder what you want done and he'll do it.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
he does have testing. that cat will be fine. like Ion said just take your stuff to muffler shop and have them hook you up.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
So with that being said the exhaust is magnaflow with SLP muffler and its a true dual.

true dual is impossible on your car, the 2.4 has only one manifold, so unless you made custom headers you can't even start a true dual set up. not to mention the fact that there's no room under the car to run true duals, unless you use about 1.25" pipe, which would be worse than running one 2.5" pipe.

Technicalities aside, just take your muffler and cat to an exhaust shop, and have them redo the whole exhaust system in 2.5", all the way from the manifold back. you're going to be surprised how much better your car's performance (and sound) will be, especially with that supercharger. Enjoy.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
went into a tuffy today since its only down the block. I already knew from the start how shitty tuffy was but wow what a bunch of douchebags. The guy said he will not put a universal cat on and he will only use direct fit OEM (understandable ill just go to a custom shop), then I told him I don't want OEM I want it to be hi flow because its supercharged. Then he said, oh its modified? I told him yes its modified with a supercharger made from GM directly for this car. He said can't help you I won't touch it and was starting to walk away. So I started laughing at him and said did you not hear me? It's from GM and its made for the car, in order to even put the kit on you need to take it to the dealership to get it tuned which I did. He still said nope won't do it and walked away. So I said that's tuffy for you and walked out and spun my tires in front of their shop.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
i go to either Meinke or a local place called professional Muffler idk if its nationwide but they do damn good work the wifes truck(04 ford escape) HAD 3 cats on it now it only has 2 beings to it i took everything in and had it done, it wasn't too bad only thing i didn't take in was the new manifold cause that is where the only 2 cats are on the truck, my alero still has the cat and resinator but soon to be gone as i am gonna do it my way yet again

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Having a Malibu with the GMPP S/C I can assure you that you want to keep a CAT in the system with O2 bung for feedback. 2.5" piping is fine (although I went to 3"). Without a resonator right behind the CAT you will get a lot more noise/vibration than you want, a simple 'cherry bomb' will do fine. Custom shops are highly recommended for this level of work.

Tip: Get the Pacesetter exhaust manifold (thermal coated) first to get the real power out of your setup.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I don't know where you're at, but FLP in Naperville has mandrel bending equipment and pretty well only works on heavily modified cars.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote