Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
camero
GX Member

camero is on a distinguished road
Test Driving an Alero friday :)

It's a 1999 GL with the 3400.

Its only got 80k, and the price is right. I'm aware of the head gasket problems, intake manifold problems, passlock problems, and window regulator/motor problems. I'll get a carfax to see if any of these repairs were made, because if most of them weren't I'm probably not going to get the car.

Anyway, is there anything else I should look out for, something my research has missed?

I've always really liked the alero. One of my good firends in high school had one and I liked the way it drove, along with pretty much everything about it. So I hope that by next week I am an alero owner and can be a part of the community here! Thanks for the help everyone.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
you're probably not going to have a lot of problems. These cars are pretty hearty so long as you don't skimp on the routine maintenance. Its not common for one car to have all of those problems. My recommendation is do what I did when I had my Cutlass Supreme which also had the LIM gasket problem, Just fix it as soon as you get the car! You'll never have to worry about it again and if you take care of it the chances of you blowing a head gasket is significantly decreased.

One more thing to expect is that the Service Engine Soon light, ABS light, and Trac Off light may be on. These cars are notorious for shredding wheel bearings. Its a cheap fix if you're willing to do it yourself. It takes about an hour and costs roughly $50 if you buy the hub online.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
why would things like that show up on carfax? lol...

carfax doesn't even show my first crash, or any engine work ever done on my car..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
why would things like that show up on carfax? lol...

carfax doesn't even show my first crash, or any engine work ever done on my car..

your best bet on that is to have the VIN run at your local GM dealer. They can tell you which recalls and TSB's show done to that car.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
if they were done at the dealer
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
if they were done at the dealer

all recalls are preformed by a dealer as far as I know. And usually TSB's would have been done or mentioned at a dealer unless there was an issue present when it when into another shop and they read the TSB. It's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot. My car was usually serviced by a family mechanic, but the Chevy dealer still shows which recalls were preformed since they did those.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

right but head gaskets, LIMG, window regulators aren't TSB items as far as I know and it's QUITE possible that the owner had it serviced elsewhere or did it themselves

i'm just saying you can't assume it wasn't done just because it doesn't show up on carfax
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
One more thing to expect is that the Service Engine Soon light, ABS light, and Trac Off light may be on. These cars are notorious for shredding wheel bearings. Its a cheap fix if you're willing to do it yourself. It takes about an hour and costs roughly $50 if you buy the hub online.

I wouldn't say "shredding" wheel bearings.. The sensor inside of them are just shitty. If you don't care for ABS, Traction or the Tire pressure monitor then the wheel bearing still should be ok.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I am happy to have a non-abs alero...I have seen the bad things that can happen when an abs system doesn't function properly...my dad's 97' chevy has a bad abs system and if it catches on anything at all the brakes completely quit...the first time it malfunctioned we were lucky it is a manual because my dad was going down a big hill with a valley full of trees at the bottom...it would not have been pretty otherwise.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
camero
GX Member

Thanks for the quick replies everyone

fisdad, thanks for the heads-up on the wheel bearings. I've heard of that problem but I have no idea what it entails or how to fix it:/
I'll keep a lookout, and I may preventatively change the LIM.
Thanks for the help.
And if I like what I see today I will run the VIN through our GM dealer.

[ion] C2, like you said, IF a car was done at a dealership, then the LIM, windows, and passlock repairs would appear on a carfax.

And "i'm just saying you can't assume it wasn't done just because it doesn't show up on carfax" point is taken, I'm just trying to be safe.

Shiwnath, good to know the car is still safely drivable, thanks

03glgold, scary, I hope I can weed out any mojor problems like that during the test drive.

Might as well be a good time to ask everyone, Dex-cool or green?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I'll say this about these cars...I've had mine for 7yrs got it when it had 77,000 miles on it. I have roughly 169,000 on it now maybe more and I have not had major major work done yet...knock on wood. I have never added one drop of Trans fluid to the transmission since I've had it or had it changed, and she is still ticking. I have the 2.4L...now I have to change breaks constantly it seems, fix coolant leaks (hasn't been a problem since I got a new cap and threw some Stop Leak in the coolant tank), and I know my bearings are gone but this car has been good to me, and starts with one turn of the key ever since I've had it.

I use Green...my coolant problems were things that were just old.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
I am happy to have a non-abs alero...I have seen the bad things that can happen when an abs system doesn't function properly...my dad's 97' chevy has a bad abs system and if it catches on anything at all the brakes completely quit...the first time it malfunctioned we were lucky it is a manual because my dad was going down a big hill with a valley full of trees at the bottom...it would not have been pretty otherwise.

The thing is, that's a serious malfunction that needs immediate attention. The common malfunction in our cars is actually a wheel speed sensor.. When it malfunctions the ABS and traction control systems can't get an accurate reading of the speed of each wheel so it doesnt know how to properly modulate the braking for both systems..

If you have an ABS light without a Trac off, I'm gonna say thats an ABS specific malfunction.. Wheel speed sensors are not a safety issue because some Aleros dont come with them.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
The thing is, that's a serious malfunction that needs immediate attention. The common malfunction in our cars is actually a wheel speed sensor.. When it malfunctions the ABS and traction control systems can't get an accurate reading of the speed of each wheel so it doesnt know how to properly modulate the braking for both systems..

If you have an ABS light without a Trac off, I'm gonna say thats an ABS specific malfunction.. Wheel speed sensors are not a safety issue because some Aleros dont come with them.

Just keep in mind that NONE of the "common" issues or the issues listed here are huge make or break deals. Just knowing what you could be looking at gives you some negotiation room with the seller if you find that anything needs attention. You can drive these cars for many miles with any or all of these problems happening at once if you have to.

Just ask the seller specific questions about the things you are concerned about. If he knows if anything has been done he should tell you because it makes the car seem more sound. If not, in my experience you're looking at this if you have the work done by a small mechanic shop. I have had all of these things replaced on one car or another other than the passlock issue which I have never had on any of my cars.

LIM gaskets and Valve Cover Gaskets replaced - $600 or less
Wheel bearing replacement - $300
Window regulator replacement - $300 per window
Head Gasket (which will include LIM and you add Valve Cover gaskets) $1200 or less
Passlock issue $300

The 3400 V6 is fairly easy to work on in my experience so if you shop around and get your own parts you can do it yourself or call every mechanic shop within 30 miles of your house for the best price you can get.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
camero
GX Member

I appreciate the replies everyone. But I'm not getting it. I was too excited for it and now I'm paying.
Interior was falling apart, AC didnt work, and his offer for my trade in was insulting,
so there you go
Hopefully I'll get one some day.