Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
DADDYMACK
GX Member

DADDYMACK is on a distinguished road
Alero Stereo More Power

Hey all just looking for some good info on car audio.
I just finished installing a good size stereo in my 2000 Alero Gls, now to my problem.
I need more power, not from my stereo but to my stereo. I am in the middle of a couple of problems one thing i need is a bigger alt and a good battery. So far here is what i can tell ya about my system. I am running a Alpine head with two 1600 watt sub amps at one ohm, and one 1000 watt four channel amp at 4 ohms, 2 12 subs and 6x9 rears and 4x6 fronts. I think i am pulling about 180 to 200 amps peak, and i have done the big three and pulled a 0 gauge for sub amps and a four gauge for the four channel. I also pulled a 4 gauge ground front to rear for all amps grounded to a custom grounding block in the back. All this with a factory alt and a Walmart battery.

Ok as i see it, yes i need to get a better battery, i checked into a yellow or a blue top battery and they said there where no application for a 2000 alero, but i am sure someone out there has made one fit. Please tell me which ones fit with a little alteration.

Next is the alt, i am really confused here buy one build one ???? and some say a Alero's alt can't handle 200 plus amps because of over heating so what to do ?????.

I just added the second sub amp and the 4 channel amp, with that i also got a loud boom when i shut off the system and a great wine that comes and goes.

I am not sure about all the grounds going to one lug in the rear and should i ground the rear lug to the body or ground it up front or to the battery. i bypassed the factory harness and ran a power wire to the head unit direct from the battery so did i pass any noise filters. i also grounded the hu direct to the body and i am thinking i have to many separate grounds or what.

Ok so now to hard part i'm also am on a budget build so don't get me wrong when i say that i will buy good products but i need to be real about things besides i like to build instead of buy but that's not always real.

Thank you for any input and just ask any questions that you may have
Mack
DADDYMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i was gonna say yellow top or something, they should have some that will connect to your car. im sure a few people here have em.

i was running 2 12 inch kicker CVR's with my sony headunit and 800 watt amp, also had a capacitor. (i suggest you get one) and it pounded. alternator held up fine, but i still had stock speakers, now i have no more boom boom. other then that im not much of the car audio guy.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
DADDYMACK
GX Member

DADDYMACK is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply but i don't think i need a cap if everything is done right??? Mack
DADDYMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Caps are generally junk. Get a custom alternator, or more batteries. I killed a couple alternators in mine, but then again I always ran crazy shit.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Get a Mechman alternator. I have one on my car to power my system and 4 fogs. I have the blue top also. http://mechman.com/index.php/quote.html
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
FYI, the standard V6 alternator is rated at 140A

What kind of voltage drops do you have along your lines?
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
one of these should solve your problems:

http://powerbastards.com/products.as...4&navsid2=1647
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote