Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Well that was wierd!

So I was going down the interstate yesterday going to work when a freind of mine from work decides he wants to race lol. So I took off from 70 to about 90ish. I noticed when I tach was around 4,000 and staying there, my car felt like it was "chugging" or had a miss. I left off of it and let the trans shift back up. Once it was at a lower RPM it didn't do it again... There is no Check Engine light either. Has anyone run into this? Is it a fluke, or is it something that needs tinkering? Thanks Guys!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
BearingBuddy
GX Member

BearingBuddy is on a distinguished road
I was dealing with this too. Changed out plugs and wires and eliminated it. Could be fuel filter clogging, cat converter plugging, fouled plugs (doubt it), or stray voltage from a plug wire to name a few.
BearingBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
take it to a track man
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
street racing is not welcome on this site.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
The post isn't primarily about street racing... You guys do realize that right? The guy has an actual problem.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Mine does that too when I'm on the ramp entering the highway. Old sparks need to be changed. Unless it's the clogged cat.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
the problem may be real with the alero, and with the owner too that he is idiotic enough to race on the street....
Old 10-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
mmorello82
GX Member

Well, to those who gave me actual suggestions, thanks! Shiwnath is right, this post is not about street racing. If there was a track within 5 hours of me, I may actually go to it. But I am not going to drive 4-8 hours, maybe blow up my car and figure out a way home.

Last edited by mmorello82 : 10-30-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: I am offended, don't want to lash out at the bashers
mmorello82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorello82 View Post
Well, to those who gave me actual suggestions, thanks! Shiwnath is right, this post is not about street racing. If there was a track within 5 hours of me, I may actually go to it. But I am not going to drive 4-8 hours, maybe blow up my car and figure out a way home.

This post shows your ignorance right there.

1. Your main post was to ask about an engine problem, BUT you did mention street racing.
2. You are not gonna blow up a stock motor (or a built one if done correctly) by going down the track a couple times.
3. There is an 1/8th track within 90 minutes of you and the famous norwalk, oh dragstip is a little over 4 hours from you. (i'm sure there is a closer 1/4mile track, but I don't feel like looking too much right now.)

Last edited by kwhauck : 10-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.
kwhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
mmorello82
GX Member

Well I didn't know that, but thanks for doing to research for me. lol
And yes, a "stock" motor with 165,000 on it is going to be weaker than anything with lower miles. I have learned that lesson the hard way
Old 10-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
And yes, a "stock" motor with 165,000 on it is going to be weaker than anything with lower miles. I have learned that lesson the hard way

Not necessarily... If you take care of your car then it should be performing as expected. I'm at 223,000KM and i still get 25 MPG. When i took it to the track I ran the 1/4 as expected for a mostly stock 3400.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
mmorello82
GX Member

I've heard before I bought this car that the 3400 holds together pretty well, but I am kinda leary about really abusing it until I either have the money to fix it, or have another motor. I need to find one that my daughter and I can rebuild. I work about 45 mins away from my house, so if I hurt it, I am screwed. What was your 1/4 time? Since you and I are pretty much the same...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Best time was 15.86. It was my first time at the track and I was nervous lol. I have a cold air intake and my PCM is slightly tuned.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
mmorello82
GX Member

Only things I have is a exhaust system, CAI, coilpacks, and Taylor Wires. We'd probably be about the same. Thanks for not bashing too man. I didn't put this post up to talk about street racing lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

The 15.7-15.9 range is right for a 3400 with smalls mods like cat-back exhaust and cai. The coilpacks and taylor wires won't do anything for you performance wise though, just keep your engine running well.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
mmorello82
GX Member

Well I noticed after I put them on, there wasn't any real power difference, however the throttle seemed to "snap". Revved up ALOT faster. I am trying to find a blown 3400, so that my kids and I can build it for the car. Then I would do some WOT mods on it. But I am not going to mod this engine very much. Had a 98 neon that had 190,000 on it and I modded the engine, next thing I knew, going home from work and the motor blew up! Won't do that again! If I build one, it will be all fresh, or not at all. Call me paranoid lol!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
kwhauck
2Screwy

Maybe?

http://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/2673842033.html

I have 3 blocks and several sets of heads in my garage I may be willing to part with, but you are better off getting a complete from a junkyard, even if it runs it could be better, that way you know the heads are not compromised or anything like that.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #18
mmorello82
GX Member

Where are you located? Is that your craigslist add, or someone elses? Reason I ask is it shows your location here as south Dakota, but on craigslist it shows a Ohio area code.... lol call me confused! I might do the junk yard thing, but can't find a non-running one, and they all want 8-900 around here! A little much for a motor that I will be dumping money into.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
kwhauck
2Screwy

Someone elses craigslist add, I just did a quick search for yah. You should check car-part.com as well. That is a GREAT site. I am in South Dakota, but I like to search stuff out on the internet and help people out. I am pretty good at searching on the internet and finding deals.

800-900 is rediculous. I paid $350 for the last running one I got that had 47,000 miles on it. For a non-running $200 tops!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Only things I have is a exhaust system, CAI, coilpacks, and Taylor Wires. We'd probably be about the same. Thanks for not bashing too man. I didn't put this post up to talk about street racing lol.

No prob, just for future reference don't mention racing on this forum unless it's at the track... It's really frowned upon just like anything else illegal. If you want to avoid any other bashing you should take a quick look at the forum rules.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28177