Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Head stud question

Looking for an answer from anybody running head studs on their LA1

I was talking to my mech about my build and I said I was thnking about head studs instead of head bolts, and he agreed with me. Studs get more of an even torque on the head and are easier to remove the head from the engine if need be. My mech said I was right, HOWEVER he said that you need to be careful with stud on a FWD car, because sometimes the stud are too long and the "rear" head cannot be removed with the engine in the car.

So my question is, do the ARP studs that Ben sells, allow the head to clear the firewall on the "N" body?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
You should be fine with the studs and still be able to get the head off the rear. Once your down to the heads there is a lot of room back there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1108111352.jpg (60.9 KB, 80 views)
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
had to drop k-frame on mine to remove rear head, but im a GA if there is any difference.... dont think there is
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
You pull the studs out before the heads just like bolts. The nuts are tightened down, the studs are hand tight only.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
BlackV6
GX Member

BlackV6 is on a distinguished road
What are the torque specs and do they have to be retorqued after break in ?
BlackV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
BlackV6
GX Member

BlackV6 is on a distinguished road
Anyone know the torque specs on the ARP studs? and if they need to be retorqued after break in????
BlackV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
ask ARP directly

or really, go on their site, look at the size of your studs, and look at the table they have...

and no retorque, that's silly
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote