Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Black_Mamba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black_Mamba
Question Need some product reviews

Right now saving up my money but at the same time I wanna throw a few goodies into the stock engine. 4 speed auto 3400, which I believe is a 4T40E. Im gonna upgrade my stock throttle body to the 65mm billet throttle body from MMS (milzymotorsports.com) . I still cannot find a throttle body spacer to match up with it, not on their site, ebay, amazon, nothing. Any help?

Also, I was thinking about giving this a shot since my transmission doesnt grip the gears the way it should:

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...o de=ShiftKit

I was wondering if anyone used it or would point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

2001 GLS 3.4L Coupe "Black Mamba"

Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake, 8000k H.I.D. Low Beam, 3000k H.I.D. Fog Lights.
Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Black_Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
1.) The 3400 Aleros came equipped with the 4T45E
2.) That shift kit is for the 4T65E (or HD)
3.) Don't bother with a TB Spacer
4.) If you get a 65mm TB, atleast get an upper intake manifold that is ported for a larger throttle body or you're just wasting time.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
1.) The 3400 Aleros came equipped with the 4T45E
2.) That shift kit is for the 4T65E (or HD)
3.) Don't bother with a TB Spacer
4.) If you get a 65mm TB, atleast get an upper intake manifold that is ported for a larger throttle body or you're just wasting time.

Could you recomend a good shift kit than?
As for porting the UIM I planned on doing that too but I didn't realize I had to do it before upgrading the throttle body.
& why not bother with the spacer?

Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

There is very little aftermarket support for the 4T45E..From what I know, there are no mechanical shift kits for this tranny.. only those B&M electrical ones that increase line pressure or you could tune your PCM and get the same result as the B&M.

As for the spacer, to my knowledge there are no TB spacers readily available, because the gains are little to non existant on the 3400.

As for the UIM, it's best to install a ported UIM and 65mm TB at the same time because without porting the UIM for a larger TB, you're just creating a larger bottle neck.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
There is very little aftermarket support for the 4T45E..From what I know, there are no mechanical shift kits for this tranny.. only those B&M electrical ones that increase line pressure or you could tune your PCM and get the same result as the B&M.

As for the spacer, to my knowledge there are no TB spacers readily available, because the gains are little to non existant on the 3400.

As for the UIM, it's best to install a ported UIM and 65mm TB at the same time because without porting the UIM for a larger TB, you're just creating a larger bottle neck.

That sucks as far as shift kits go. As for the UIM, if I get that ported while I'm at it I might as well do the same for the LIM right? Or will I have to start changing stuff in order to port the LIM?

Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
Right now saving up my money but at the same time I wanna throw a few goodies into the stock engine. 4 speed auto 3400, which I believe is a 4T40E. Im gonna upgrade my stock throttle body to the 65mm billet throttle body from MMS (milzymotorsports.com) . I still cannot find a throttle body spacer to match up with it, not on their site, ebay, amazon, nothing. Any help?

Also, I was thinking about giving this a shot since my transmission doesnt grip the gears the way it should:

http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...o de=ShiftKit

I was wondering if anyone used it or would point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

That's a shift kit for a 4T65, so that probably won't work.

If the Throttle Body bolts on without an adapter, I would get one and do the inlet porting on the Upper Intake yourself.

But before that go to a salvage yard and pick up an extra upper intake to modify, if you can get it cheap.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The B&M shiftplus works for the 4t45 tranny. Search on here. Oldsman has one, have for years. It's for a Camaro, but works with the Alero.

Yes get a 65mm TB, but get the UIM ported to a 65mm TB and don't bother with a spacer

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
That sucks as far as shift kits go. As for the UIM, if I get that ported while I'm at it I might as well do the same for the LIM right? Or will I have to start changing stuff in order to port the LIM?

It really depends on your budget and how much power you want to make. It would be a good idea to port the LIM while your at it but not its not as important as porting the throttlebody opening on the UIM for a 65mm tb.

It also depends on the port work as well.. Both Milzy and WOT-Tech offer "stage" packages and a higher stage usually means higher flowing manifolds which can also mean that without supporting mods like ported cylinder heads, then there will still be a bottleneck...

That being said, if you just want a bit of a kick and you're on a tight budget you should be fine with just the 65mm tb and UIM. There will still be an increase of hp.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
I am reading this and have to say thanks! I have a fairly tight budget and was thinking the same thing. I am thinking of the Trottle Body, UIM, Pacesetter headers, and CAI.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Black_Mamba
GX Member

I agree. Thanks for all the inputs! so with this package right here [ http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...o de=3400ULIM ] in addition to the 65mm throttle body and my cai, I should be good right?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
I agree. Thanks for all the inputs! so with this package right here [ http://www.milzymotorsports.com/miva...o de=3400ULIM ] in addition to the 65mm throttle body and my cai, I should be good right?

Until your lust for more power over comes you and you need MORE!

Also did you check out WOT-Tech for manifolds? They're a more popular choice on Aleromod. Unfortunately they currently don't have 65mm tb in stock according to their website.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Until your lust for more power over comes you and you need MORE!

Also did you check out WOT-Tech for manifolds? They're a more popular choice on Aleromod. Unfortunately they currently don't have 65mm tb in stock according to their website.

Yeah I was just browsing through their site & im trying to decide between wottech or mms

Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Mikes upper is now a stage 3 really. It is now a "Big Bore 3400 UIM". I got my new one to replace the one I got from him when he first started 6 years ago. The new one is real nice and the Powdercoat on it was perfect, dam nice piece imo...
Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I only buy stuff from Ben at WOT Tech.

I have his street strip cam, custom push rods, sitting in my closet. I also have narrowed SBC rods I bought off another Aleromod member.

I'm looking to either finish or put a big dent in my engine build list with tax return money. I will probably get enough back to buy everything, but I want to save money for a house

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
mmorello82
GX Member

mmorello82 is on a distinguished road
That's my problem too. That's why I thought about UIM, Throttle Body, Headers, and CAI. All together I am going to spend a little less than a grand and still have money to buy a house.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah I was just browsing through their site & im trying to decide between wottech or mms

Both have great products, and are very knowledgable. I would buy from both, but so far I set goals for what a stock motor can do with bolt-ons, and what I can make for myself. Which is hard without a welder.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
Marc at TCE is going to be making more 65mm TB's 3 or more would help. any one in for a group buy ? Also ben at WOT supplies flow number for his manifolds and heads Mlzy has good stuff also

Last edited by unchained01 : 11-24-2011 at 06:19 PM.
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know anyone up here that has done a build through Ben yet. I hear good things about him as well in a few places, but as i say, I havent had the chance to see one run yet!
You guys know my build was done through MMS.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
I don't know anyone up here that has done a build through Ben yet. I hear good things about him as well in a few places, but as i say, I havent had the chance to see one run yet!
You guys know my build was done through MMS.

In the end, the deeper you get into the build, the more skilled you need to be, and the results you get reflect that. If I lived close to either vendor, I would just have them build the whole engine. However, even then I doubt they would be pre-tested on a dyno.

Nothing wrong with giving testimonials on their products.

edit: allowing for the fact that sometimes certain cars ran a bit faster to begin with, for unknown reasons. i.e -- "factory freaks"

Last edited by AleroB888 : 11-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote