Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Talking How-to: general maintenance to improve/maintain MPGs

alright here goes some of the stuff that i do yearly if not more. im very anal about this kind of stuff and so our alero is not the best example of what needs doing. because of that iv substituted a couple photos from the internet.

1. hows your tire pressures? check them and check them often. you loose/gain aprox 1psi per 10 degrees of temperature. when i first brought my car into the shop (2*f outside) was at 32psi. this picture was taken after being inside for 3 hours. so check them, i tend to keep 2-5 psi above whats on the sticker. tire/rim sizes to make a difference.

2. Air filters... keep them clean:

this air filter is dirty
iv seen dirtier air filters not cause problems but it all adds up.

3. keep that maf sensor clean. mine was done about 40k ago and isnt all that bad. i did clean it anyways while i had it off. i use brake-kleen and quickly blow it off with compress air. however they do make MAF sensor cleaner and seems to work pretty well.

i wipe down the insides with a rag BUT DO NOT wipe down the resistors (3 shown in the pic below) with a cloth. i use cotton swabbs and VERY gentle with it. if you break one yoru done.

as we make our way up the intake:

4: body cleanliness (throttle-body that is)
once again mine is not the best example but there is a bit of dirt

i clean mine with brake-kleen on a rag. wipe it down nice and spotless. make sure to open the throttle blade and wipe down the blad edges as well as how ever far you can reach inside. but dont strain yourself trying to get into the deep nether regions.

5: intake leaks after the MAF sensor.
unmeatered air that gets in (a leak after the maf sensor) will cause fuel trims to be out of whack and will have undesired effects on your engine and driveablity.

for this photo i created a "leak" just to give you an idea of posobiltiles. i shined my flashlight up the intake tube so you can see the leaks.

other intake leaks come items such as vacuum lines leaking. the 3400 does not have many thats for sure but heres a couple:

apon further inspection i found this union cracked and will need tending to soon before it creates a leak:

6: them lovely fuel filters!

ok. heres what i do. i like to let the engine run and while its runnign pull the fuel pump relay and let it stall. try and start it a few times after that. now you should little to no fuel pressure.

next i separate the threaded end:

leaves you with something like this:

that black "cage" is also the tool to remove the filter. you press it up into the line the move the tabs out of the way. now... if yours is missing or rusted or what ever the case may be. dont freak out. a normal fuel line disconnect tool does not usually fit. in the past iv removed the fuel fitler by taking a hack-saw and cutting the filter nipple off the "can". THEN clean out the fitting of dirt or rust. next take the standard fuel disconnect tool and remove old nipple.

this also helps to for the "cage" into the fitting. pry on it with a large screwdriver:

heres what came out of my filter:

now for the install and a trick:
i take a can of gm brake lube:

and put it on the nipple on the fuel filter (mind you dont put it IN the nipple or allow it to getting the fuel system) and install:

next i put the same lube on the treads of fitting (engine side fuel line), much like you put never seize on a bolt. then install. once its installed i take the lube and coat it in lube like this:

doing this makes it SO easy to remove in the future. iv had a fuel filter on my truck for the past 30k miles. was able to undo it with one wrench and i live on the coast!

7: plugs and wires
check your plugs and make sure the're tight with a good "lock."

make sure your wires arnt chaffed on any sharp objects, cracked, melted etc. one test you can do to see if the wires still hold their integrity is to mix up some salt water and spray them down in a dark area to see if you find any arcing. should be able to hear and see it if they are.

also check your spark plugs them selves.
check the gap:
2.2: .043-.037"
2.4: .050"
3.4: .060"

(not an alero plug)

you would be surprised just how much of a difference poorly gaped plugs can make. also check for carbon tracking on the plugs. looks similar to:

you will know if its carbon trackign because you cant easily wipe it off. you may or may not be able to scrape it off with your finger nail. if you do find carbon tracking. GM recommends replacing the plug AND corresponding wire.

END for now.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up, I'll have to use the fuel pump relay trick, I always just took a shower with the fuel that ran out!
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote