Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Thumbs up

i'm connecting two DVC subs, to a single 4 channel amp. I also have the pioneer 7600 Headunit.

how do i connect the RCA jacks on the amp. i have 2 pairs of Line ins and 2 pairs of Line outs on the amp. (see pic) and one set of RCA's coming from the H.U.

?? i'm lost. the manual doesn't help at all!

thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
it didn't post a pic.... editted one in..

[attachmentid=7435]
Old 06-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

pic 1[attachmentid=7434]
Old 06-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

do i connect the RCA from the headunit to the "line in" on the right, then another pair from the "line out" on the right to the "line in" on the left?

O O-------------------O O----- TO
O O-------------------O O----- H.U
line Line Line Line
out In out In

?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
TheSoundDemon
GX Member

TheSoundDemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSoundDemon Send a message via MSN to TheSoundDemon Send a message via Yahoo to TheSoundDemon
I believe that the line out RCA's are for adding additional amplifiers to the system...what I believe you want to do is run a set of 4-channel RCA's to the amp and plug a set into the right input and the other set into the left input, I think then you want to switch your amp into 2 channel mode, and then bridge channels 1 and 2 into one sub (make sure you have the correct ohm load for it) and then bridge channels 3 and 4 (again making sure you have the correct ohm load)...it's been a while since I've hooked a sub up this way...I did it with my first system, and then found it easier to get the mono amps to go with the subs...If I'm wrong or forgot something...someone feel free to correct me.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
bigd6983

the right way would be to have 4 channel rca's coming from your headunit into the amp, but you can use Y adapters to make a pair of rca's out of one single rca, so if you get two Y's, you will have the 4 rca's you need.........

now you bring up a good question about the line out into the line in.......i dont know how that would work actually......im not sure if each line out is activated by its line in pair, or what.......otherwise the Y is looking like your best bet......
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

i'll be buying a Y adapters and give them a try. i gotta check some wiring.

i got it all working, but one sub seems quieter, and the amp got REALLY hot.

i'll keep it off for the time being, and come thursday, i'll have my friend who has done all this before, check it out.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
are you sure the amp can be bridged safely?

some amps are not made to be bridged.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
What ohms are the subs? If you have dual 2 ohm coils then you may be wiring it down to ohe ohm per channel causing the overheating.
Make sure that your y splitter is dividing the left and right to the correct sides. If you place both right channels onto one bridged side and both left channels on the other the frequencies will be different. Your HU may have a option of switching between stereo and mono out for the sub preouts. If this is the case you will want to put it in stereo or the bass notes won't be sent via the right channel.
Does your HU have a built in low pass crossover? If not, be sure that your amp has low pass crossovers on the front and rear channels. Otherwise, you will be playing all frequencies on one sub. If you do have two sets of low pass crossovers, then ensure they are both set the same. Since one sub is quieter, I would be willing to bet that one crossover is a high pass and the other is a low pass. This tends to be the norm on four channel amps. Way off topic, but Good God it is about time we had a spell check.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

ok, i think the problem was solved.

i had a friend who used to do all the local sound competitions w/ his car (kinda my personal expert on car stereo) check it all.

all the speakers are correctly wired for 4ohm. and the amp is wired up correctly. (don't need the y's since the built in crossover on the amp does a good job) The only thing that could have produced that problem is that it was in my trunk w/ my driving for about an hour, then sat in the sun for 40 mintues, then another hour of driving. (93 degrees out and maroon car) plus, the box isn't fastened down yet, so at some undetermined time, the box fell back, leaning on the amp. That could have very easily caused it to heat up like it did.

but i'll be keeping an eye on it anyway.

any mikegett, the h.u has a low pass filter, as well as the amp has 2.(one on each side) the ones on the amp stay set to low, and the h.u gets changed before the subs are kicked on. (via the switch and remote wire i have )

thanks everyone.