Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #21
jiffy

The ground that I used was the bolt below/behind the rear seat, which is what I thought many people on here have used successfully. I could try to scrape off some paint on the inside of the trunk near the wheel well and drill a hole through the part of the trunk support that does not go to outside metal.

I will take some pics and post them later.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #22
jiffy

I haven't been able to work on this yet, so I've been driving in silence for now but I have 1 more q.

I tried to reposition the driver side speaker but am having terrible luck with it. I tried 3M double sided tape but that doesn't work out well because once you unstick it it wont restick, making minor adjustments impossible.

I've also drilled 2 new sets of holes (3 in total now) none of which worked.

This is getting to be insanely frustrating, so if anyone has an tips for me I would appreciate it. I've got to reposition both sides.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #23
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
LOC's are bad for ground loops. It could be a poor LOC or it could be your ground location. A ground loop is formed when two electrical devices are grounded to the same piece of metal but at different locations. It creates a EM field that emits electrical noise like your rpm's and Air conditioning. Some LOC's have a built in ground. Others have a ground line. A older sosche LOC I had used the built in ground. It seemed to be the best for getting rid of the ground loops. If your LOC has a seperate ground, you should first place it at the same location your amp grounds. The bolt you mentioned is a decent spot. If you still have engine noise, try unplugging the factory amp. It may be grounded at a similar location and causing the noise. If you still have the noise, then run a quick test line directly to the battery ground. If you still have the noise the LOC is probably bad.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #24
jiffy

mike - just a few points:

I don't have a factory amp, so nothing to unplug there. I assume my LOC's have a built in ground because there was no wire on them for me to ground (these are the LOC's that came with the amp). I bought a new LOC but haven't been able to try it out yet. I haven't opened it, but this one looks like an external ground wire.

I don't have any spare wire that is a high enough guage to run a line test on the battery as a ground.

Also, I've gone insane trying to get these speakers mounted properly. Nowhere seems to be working properly. I know its possible, but I am NOT having an easy time with this.

I figured I would try taking it to an audio shop to let them mount the speakers in the proper location (so I didn't have to deal with it anymore). The first shop told me they were going to have to fiberglass me new door panels (bullpoop). The second one told me to stop back and they will see what they can do (didn't sound to confident but at least willing to try).
Old 07-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #25
jiffy

ohh no...

I called this one car audio shop to see if they would be able to get them in for me, and they told me that they will only fit in a 2 dr GM car, not into the 4 dr.

I have the 4 dr

Has anyone had success getting these installed into a 4dr, or am I screwed?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #26
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
When I mentioned a temporary ground line to the battery, I didn't mean for the amp. Most likely, your noise is coming from the loc. If the new one has the same problem then run its ground straight to the battery. A simple 14-12 guage wire will be fine. It only pulls a few amps. I always keep a spare 17 foot wire just for this purpose. Ground loops can come from multiple equipment so the easiest way to find out what one is grounding it to the battery. If it goes away then you need to relocate your ground to a different location or place a ground loop isolater. In the case of a LOC with built in ground, you don't have a option to relocate.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #27
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jiffy@Jul 1 2005, 02:24 PM
ohh no...

I called this one car audio shop to see if they would be able to get them in for me, and they told me that they will only fit in a 2 dr GM car, not into the 4 dr.

I have the 4 dr

Has anyone had success getting these installed into a 4dr, or am I screwed?

That could be the problem. Mines a 2 door.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #28
hubcaps

I have a 2 door and I had the same problem as you are having.