Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
havik

Thread started Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:43 am by Springs Fastest Alero

Quote:
Ok I talked to kimmo last night and these will be ready in a month or two.
I'd like to get a groub buy going for them.
total cost on the tb's is going to be $250
I would need 170 down form those interested.
you would get $40 the final cost if you can get me a core TB besides yours. and 20 off if you send me your tb for your shaft to be installed.

let me know if your interested.

Quote:
sounds good.

my only question, do you think the 65mm would lose too much bottom end? would the extra hp make up for it?

the biggest question when it comes to the 2.4 is what size TB. what size is too much? it seems noone has this answer. which sucks.

Quote:
well
the stock tb is quite tiny
I think if used with my cai and the new intake manifold the results would be great.
much torque was picked up with the intake and being 3" all the way through the tb would still be the smallest part.
so veloicty would be high still.
some torque may be lost but the top end would be really nice and thats where the 2.4L lacks.
actually as provin with the 3.4L the larger TB still made more torque than stock.
fuel supplement will prolly be needed with all the extra air though like an adjustible fuel pressure regulator.
if torque is still not what you like, an underdrive crank pulley will gian you some back.

Quote:
Im interested, but kinda confused on the price so its 250 but up to $60 off If i send in someone else's TB and mine? is this correct or am I off? Also what will the cost be if I don't have the above, just the $250?

Quote:
the most you can get off is $40 this would basically be getting me an extra tb for a core then I'd assmeble the 65mm unit and send it to you.
then you would send me your old tb to get your core deposit back.
or you can send me your tb ahead of time and avoid the core deposit and save $20 off the cost of the tb

This posted on Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:43 pm by 99AleroGx
Quote:
A 65MM Throttle body is perfect for a modded small block V8. What do you think it is gonna do to our 2.4L cars? Can you say overkill? Stock throttle body is 52MM so I would say either a 56MM or 59MM would best suit our cars.

Response by Springs Fastest Alero
Quote:
Stock on the 2.3L is a 56 and they respond pretty well to the larger TB.
the 2.4L has a major lack of top end and the TB, CAI and HO manifold majorly help out the weak areas.
trust me its not over kill.
oh and the LS1 comes stock with a 75mm tb
the 3.4L dohc has a 65mm stock and benefits well from a larger unit.
65mm for a small block is a bit small.
and dont forget we are also talking DOHC which can flow a bit more air than a pushrod engine

Quote:
GM generally designs their engines with good low-end torque but they basically nod off towards the higher RPM, which is in stark contrast to, say, honduh...

A 2.4L with the automatic might say they lost more low-end power than people with the 5-speed though, as it's a tad more noticable...

Quote:
OMG, this thread lives...................

Any word on the TB's??

John get ahold of me private about HO intakes

final, you should drive a 91 HO it has no lowend TQ and is mainly topend pull

Quote:
Yeah I know, when they designed the 2.4L they gave it smaller ports in the head, smaller throttle body, longer stroke, smaller bore (for some reason), more restrictive intake/exhaust manifolds and cam's that peak lower in the RPM band all in the name of higher gas velocity, I.E. more torque and at lower RPMs, which is good because it makes a more streetable engine, but that's where variable valve timing comes in really handy because you can use aggressive cams for high RPM usage and obviously more horsepower but retard the timing in the lower RPM range for better torque... too bad GM is just finally catching on to this more-than-decade-old "trick"

Last post on Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:49 am
Old 11-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
there is a huge back order on this and the 62mm
Old 11-21-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
from APOC or FDP, I bet FDP has a MUCH shorter list
Old 11-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
that is from FDP.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
Final-Reality

65MM is too big anyways unless you're upping the displacement considerably or you don't care about losing a lot of low-end torque for top end power... hell on a lightly modified (exhaust/header, intake, secret cam swap) a 59MM is as big as you need...
Old 11-22-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Spy

scre FDP. It's poop give me an LD2 56mm t/b.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:09 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

would a HO TB work on the 2.4???? what size is the HO TB??? I thought it was 59 but can't remember exactly.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #8
Final-Reality

Nah it's 56MM I'm pretty sure all 2.3s are the same...
Old 11-25-2003, 05:50 AM   #9
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Nov 23 2003, 06:12 PM
Nah it's 56MM I'm pretty sure all 2.3s are the same...
Either way I need one. Becuase I need something that will flow better than 52mm. I hate this bottlenecking, laggin' feeling I'm getting right now. It's absolutely rediculous. I want responsiveness dammit. NOW NOW NOW!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #10
Final-Reality

Don't expect miracles with a 56MM TB where throttle response is concerned, I don't think it'll really make it any better...

Things like intake runner length and exhaust restriction are what increase throttle response, to a certain point...
Old 11-26-2003, 05:53 PM   #11
Spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Nov 25 2003, 06:26 PM
Don't expect miracles with a 56MM TB where throttle response is concerned, I don't think it'll really make it any better...

Things like intake runner length and exhaust restriction are what increase throttle response, to a certain point...
didn't seem to have any problems when the 62mm slightly worked. *worked as in the idle stayed steady at 1700rpm*

Trust me I need the bigger one.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:40 AM   #12
Spy

56mm works just fine plug n play for me anyway.

Wish I had something bigger.