Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Project red
GX Member

Project red is on a distinguished road
Six speed swap?

Hello! Newer to the forum and have some questions. I have a 3.4 v6 99 gls Alero and was wondering what all do I have to do to swap it to a six speed ? Or even five speed. I'm going to be storing it over the winter and would hope to be able to do the swap In that time. Any help is much appreciated !
Project red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
6 speed trans has to come from the G6. AFAIK, you would need a G6 donor car. Not sure what else you would need other than the actual G6 trans and accessories like the shifter, shifter cable, I think the axles and 3500 flywheel but if G6's are showing up in your junkyard then it would probably be a good idea to start grabbing the major parts.

Sleepyalero has a 6 speed in his Alero as well as Babyblue. I think they had it installed by Milzy Motorsports.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
mfuller, sleepyalero, and babyblue are the people to talk to. sleepy and baby's swaps were done at milzy motorsports. Those 3 are are the only v6 manual alero's so far so they would be the people to talk to. as with any swap you need the trans, shifter and linkage, clutch pedal and master cylinder, tuning... so on its a not a job to be taken lightly. also, use the search bar. you could have found the answers to your questions and more.
welcome as well.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
You need ALL trans parts from a 07-08 G6 6 speed.

- F40 trans
- shifter
- 5 speed alero shift bezel
- tuning is required
- dual mass clutch
- flywheel
- shift cables
- clutch pedal
- custom tranmission mounts
- driver side mount you have to cut out a section in the body of the car and weld in a g6 transmission mount in place.
- g6 axles. Driver side axle has to be shortened 1/4 inch. If you dont if can make shifting a bit harder to get in gears, and puts stress on the differential.
- other misc. Things.

Many people ask these questions but dont tackle the job. I would have done the swap my self. But I am not a welder. And for something that important that needs to be able to take torque and power, so it doesnt rip off the car, I had milzy handle it. Im not about to teach myself how to weld on something so crucial for this swap.

Milzy offers all parts for the swap plus his custom trans mounts for it for about 3900$..... thats just parts. All parts for the swap (minus the custom mounts) are all BRAND NEW from GM, with 0 miles on the parts. Thats trans and everything. So for about 3900 you have brand new parts. And the install fee is about 1300 or so. Idk how much he charges now, he raised the price after he did my car and Mfullers car. I gave a guess on hiw much now, it was cheaper when I did it (but not by a whole lot)

So depending how you do this.... it can cost you upwards of about 5500$.

There is only 3 of us here with 6 speed v6 aleros. I think we will be the only 3 for a long time.

The 5 speed swap is just as complicated. I have a 3400 5 speed swap alero in my garage right now in progress. its not so fun.... its a Pain in the ass really.

Just a few things to keep in mind on the 6 speed.

- the clutch rattles, alot (it could be less noisy depending on your bushing choice. I have delrin bushings which is MUCH stiffer then polyurethane bushings. But those are your only two options. Poly or delrin, delrin is very strong but sends all vibrations to the inside of the car... things tend to make rattle sounds. But I dont really mind it. But some days it can be annoying.

- the transmission is VERY noisy

- it is also very clunky, even going into gear it will sound like its grinding, but its really not.

The transmissions are VERY noisy. Thats just how they are. All the noises they make are completely normal. But if you wont like the sounds, thats one thing to keep you away from it.

But its fun, and wakes the car up quite a bit.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 08-05-2014 at 04:40 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
You need ALL trans parts from a 07-08 G6 6 speed.

- F40 trans
- shifter
- 5 speed alero shift bezel
- tuning is required
- dual mass clutch
- flywheel
- shift cables
- clutch pedal
- custom tranmission mounts
- driver side mount you have to cut out a section in the body of the car and weld in a g6 transmission mount in place.
- g6 axles. Driver side axle has to be shortened 1/4 inch. If you dont if can make shifting a bit harder to get in gears, and puts stress on the differential.
- other misc. Things.

Many people ask these questions but dont tackle the job. I would have done the swap my self. But I am not a welder. And for something that important that needs to be able to take torque and power, so it doesnt rip off the car, I had milzy handle it. Im not about to teach myself how to weld on something so crucial for this swap.

Milzy offers all parts for the swap plus his custom trans mounts for it for about 3900$..... thats just parts. All parts for the swap (minus the custom mounts) are all BRAND NEW from GM, with 0 miles on the parts. Thats trans and everything. So for about 3900 you have brand new parts. And the install fee is about 1300 or so. Idk how much he charges now, he raised the price after he did my car and Mfullers car. I gave a guess on hiw much now, it was cheaper when I did it (but not by a whole lot)

So depending how you do this.... it can cost you upwards of about 5500$.

There is only 3 of us here with 6 speed v6 aleros. I think we will be the only 3 for a long time.

The 5 speed swap is just as complicated. I have a 3400 5 speed swap alero in my garage right now in progress. its not so fun.... its a Pain in the ass really.

Just a few things to keep in mind on the 6 speed.

- the clutch rattles, alot (it could be less noisy depending on your bushing choice. I have delrin bushings which is MUCH stiffer then polyurethane bushings. But those are your only two options. Poly or delrin, delrin is very strong but sends all vibrations to the inside of the car... things tend to make rattle sounds. But I dont really mind it. But some days it can be annoying.

- the transmission is VERY noisy

- it is also very clunky, even going into gear it will sound like its grinding, but its really not.

The transmissions are VERY noisy. Thats just how they are. All the noises they make are completely normal. But if you wont like the sounds, thats one thing to keep you away from it.

But its fun, and wakes the car up quite a bit.

what I would have said but this has way more details. Its a fun ass car to drive with the 6-speed. Good luck and welcome!
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
The Getrag F23 5 speed is actually easier and probably cheaper to swap in because the 4 cylinder Aleros already came with them. You would need the F23 bell housing, flywheel and clutch from a 2200SFI sunfire/cavalier from years 2000-2002 though. The rest you can source from a 5 speed Alero such as axles, subframe, etc...

Sleepy's 5 speed has a getrag 282 which is a PITA for swapping in and yes is pretty much as complicated as the F40 6 speed.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Just to be clear tho for the newbie. My car is a 6 speed. I have another alero thats becoming 5 speed lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
mfuller

I will say that swapping out the Delrin bushings in the transmission mounts for polyurethane quieted things down considerably. It probably also helps that my new cam is smoother than the old one (not as much overlap between valve events).
Still, you'll never mistake the F40 trans for, say, the 6-speed stick on my Civic Si.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
The 5 speed getrag is a project now 7 years in the making... I'm hoping to get it completed this month so I can drive it for the first time! Either way you go, unless you have a lot of tools, welding experience and a bucket of money and free time... Leave it an auto or sell it and buy one that's already a 5 speed.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
The 5 speed getrag is a project now 7 years in the making... I'm hoping to get it completed this month so I can drive it for the first time! Either way you go, unless you have a lot of tools, welding experience and a bucket of money and free time... Leave it an auto or sell it and buy one that's already a 5 speed.

This...

Anything that isn't bolt on, have it done. Anytime you have to cut or weld, you risk shooting yourself on the foot. I'm not saying be scared, but we all know our mechanical abilities. I personally would send my car to Milzy and pay to have it done. $5000 or so for a custom car that's going to be done right is the best way to go about it. They specialize in these things while normally those out of the profession are learning as they go along.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Project red
GX Member

Project red is on a distinguished road
Thanks ! I absolutely love this car it's been reliable and a blast to drive but now the tranny is going and I really want to do a 6 speed swap but I don't have that money to put into it. So I'm not sure what will happen :l but the Alero will always be one of my favorite cars.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

What is your coil over set up? If you part the car out depending on your cool over set up I may want them. I want to go lower haha.

Please post pics of the set up and the car slammed! I want to see!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: