Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
shockz

I've been looking around for amps for my subs.

I've got two 10w3v2d2's from JL.

I saw this amp:
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/118178...pecification.do

Its 200watts rms x 1 channel at 2 ohms.

My subs are 2 ohms... and I have both of them in the box already (ported)

Any good?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
shockz

Or would something like this be better:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1072286177806
Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
IndyAlero

the 1000/1 would be a best sell for that
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get a 1000/1 your going to have to turn your gains way down so you don't burn the speakers up. The 500/1 from JL would be plenty adequate for 2 w3v2s.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
shockz

I'm going to go with a JL 250/1

Thanks for the input... I dind't even know JL made amps till I read this.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
jamcllw
GLS member

That amps not going to do well on 2 10W3V2s. One of those is barely enough for one of them. I'd go with the 500/1.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
shockz

Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Jun 9 2005, 04:44 PM
That amps not going to do well on 2 10W3V2s.Â;-) One of those is barely enough for one of them.Â;-) I'd go with the 500/1.

Well... I don't want earshattering bass. If I did I would have just bought the JL w6's Just enough so I can hear the low end with out blasting my 6x9's.

JL recommends 250 watts rms for my type of subs.

125 watts... which is what will be going to them is good enough.

My old amp sounded fine and that was 75 rms.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
jamcllw
GLS member

Then why not get just one sub and properly power it with the 250/1. What's going to happen is your going to want more bass and turn up the gain on the amp sending a clipped signal to the subs and burn up the voice coils. 1 W3V2 will sound better with proper power than 2 will without the right amount.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #9
shockz

Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Jun 9 2005, 04:55 PM
Then why not get just one sub and properly power it with the 250/1. What's going to happen is your going to want more bass and turn up the gain on the amp sending a clipped signal to the subs and burn up the voice coils. 1 W3V2 will sound better with proper power than 2 will without the right amount.

Alright... a little history on my subs.

I got them back in 04 around october. I had a mtx roadthunder amp... I think it was the rt202. I don't want to go to my car and look.

That amp did fine... I thought the bass was good enough.

People in my car did too, but they thought I just had really good 6x9's.

I decided a couple of days ago that I'd give them a little more power... since they are more than capable of handling more than 75 watts x2 rms.

I really don't blast my subs... I'm not the person that likes the rest of my street to hear what I'm listening too...

I just finished hooking the amp up and put the gain to only around 35% of maximum and it sounds great. Louder than my mtx amp... but not too loud.

Trust me... i'm not going to "burn up" my subs. I know the limits of JL subs. We've had subs in our cars since the early 90's... I've just never installed them before and wondered how it actually works.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #10
AleroBloke

But still, Using the correct amp (500/1) will supply your subs with the power it needs. It will be better for them.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
bigd6983

i just got those subs too, 12w3v2-d4...........

i bought the Power Acoustik LT1440/2 which puts out 720 watts rms at 4 ohms.........which puts about 360 to each speaker, but ill have it toned down and that should work fine

and i agree with alerobloke.......the 500/1 would better suit your needs, all you have to do is turn the gain down
Old 06-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by shockz+Jun 9 2005, 09:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shockz @ Jun 9 2005, 09:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jamcllw@Jun 9 2005, 04:55 PM
Then why not get just one sub and properly power it with the 250/1.Â;-) What's going to happen is your going to want more bass and turn up the gain on the amp sending a clipped signal to the subs and burn up the voice coils.Â;-) 1 W3V2 will sound better with proper power than 2 will without the right amount.

Alright... a little history on my subs.

I got them back in 04 around october. I had a mtx roadthunder amp... I think it was the rt202. I don't want to go to my car and look.

That amp did fine... I thought the bass was good enough.

People in my car did too, but they thought I just had really good 6x9's.

I decided a couple of days ago that I'd give them a little more power... since they are more than capable of handling more than 75 watts x2 rms.

I really don't blast my subs... I'm not the person that likes the rest of my street to hear what I'm listening too...

I just finished hooking the amp up and put the gain to only around 35% of maximum and it sounds great. Louder than my mtx amp... but not too loud.

Trust me... i'm not going to "burn up" my subs. I know the limits of JL subs. We've had subs in our cars since the early 90's... I've just never installed them before and wondered how it actually works.
[/b][/quote]

jamcllw was correct about underpowering a sub. You can burn the voice coil just as quick from underpowering a sub as you would with overpowering it. It is always in your best benefit to match the rms. When a sub is underpowered it will play fine until it hits a low note that exceeds the amps threshold. The cllipping of the amp causes a distortion to go throught the sub. There are two harmfull states for a voice coil. One is a frequency below the woofers capability and the other is distortion. You would be suprised how quickly a amp and a sub will heat up in these states.
When underpowering the subs you want to prevent the clipping of your amp as much as possible. The best thing to do is filter out as much of your low frequencies as you can. Set your subsonic filter (if you have one) to eliminate anything under 40htz minimum. If you listen to rock you can safely go to 55 or 60 and never hear a difference. In fact, you probably won't even need a subsonic filter with rock. Next, be sure to keep your volume at a minimum. If you have a sub control, don't raise it to the max setting. Back it off two turns. As long as the amp doesn't reach clipping it will be fine.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #13
shockz

Decided to return my amp and get a Kenwood.

When bridged... each sub is getting about 240 watts rms.

It's way to loud... so i'll have to adjust the gain and bass boost on it, I can hear it all the way at the end of my street.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
bigd6983

Quote:
Originally posted by shockz@Jun 12 2005, 12:00 PM
I can hear it all the way at the end of my street.

thats what im talking about lol