Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
cmsephiroth

Alright this may sound like a stupid question but I just wanted to ask a few questions about my set up.

First, I have two 10" subwoofers that are rated at 130 watts/ channel rms powered by a cheap walmart 2 channel 200 watt amp.

The amp worked fine for about two week until today when it started turning off and the small green led turned red. I assume its overheating from me playing my music too loud.

I have both the subwoofers wired in parallel with both of them at 8ohms which in theory should be wired in 4ohms. I think.

I've decided I'm going to just take this cheap amp back and get a better one on ebay but I would like to know anyones suggestions on which one I should get. Preferably one that has good cooling that works with my setup.

My lights also dim everytime the subs hit hard which I figure I would just get a 1 farad capacitor for it. Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
cmsephiroth

I also have a second question now. If I were to get a 1200 watt amp instead of my dinky 200 watt amp would it make my subwoofers go boom? (as in explode)
Old 06-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
TheSoundDemon
GX Member

TheSoundDemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSoundDemon Send a message via MSN to TheSoundDemon Send a message via Yahoo to TheSoundDemon
depends...if 1200 watts RMS...more than likely YES...if it's "peak" power...I'd suggest looking at the RMS power and judging from there.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Travis99Alero

what subs do u have, and amp are u looking at?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
What is your budget and forget about getting a cap they're worthless.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Before you start buying any new stereo equipment have your altenator, battery, and electrical wires checked. If you are dimming off of that amp (which would be lucky to pull 20 amps at peak) then something else is wrong. Our altenators are pretty unreliable. If it is over three years old, it is probably needing replaced. On the same note, I bought my car new and have had to replace the battery twice in three years. Even though it was still under warranty I went ahead and bought a decent aftermarket. You don't have to go with a deep cell, just a good battery. If you have done any work on the car, like changing the altenator, battery, or hooking up your amp then check the cables. You may have corrosion or a loose connection. Example. I bought a used honda accord and put a amp in it. Shortly after I started having problems with my electrical and radio. My lights started to dim and I thought it was my battery or alt. I actually purchased the new altenator only to find out that the altenator ground had come loose.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
cmsephiroth

I have a 2000 alero which I've had the same alternator in it since I got it. So approx 5 year old alternator. I brought the amp back so now I just have my subs just kinda sitting in the trunk. I may save up for a while before I start again on it all.

The brand name of the subs are unknown they are totally unlabeled with only the 8 ohm symbol and the rms on it and seem to be very small. My friend donated them to me to start with and he says he just had them around forever. Which probably means theyre probably like 10 years old.

But I do want to replace the subs also. I was hoping there was some sort of amp + subs package somewhere that sold 2 10" subs with a amp that would push it well since I already have a box. Ebay has some but eh.

Anyone know any good deals?