Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
megabyte
GX Member

megabyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cat-back exhaust question

I'd like to know what is the difference between a full cat-back exhaust sytem from SLP or Borla and one made by a local shop using the same muffler that would come in the latter systems?

I want to understand why they're so expensive when you can have basically the same muffler with the same size piping for half the price...
megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
rollinpropercc3
GX Member

rollinpropercc3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rollinpropercc3
exhaust

i just bought mine from pace-setter....sounds and looks great...its a dual tip with 2 tips on each side...sounds great...low or high rpms....it was all bolt on connects to the cat...and runs piping all the way till the end...hits the resinator and splits....i def. recommen the pacesetter cat/back exhaust
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
the system you would get from slp or bolra has mandrel bends and from a shop it would be crush bends. the mandrel bends flow better and increase performance however if would help our cars much. also both the systems you said about are made of stainless steel that may be a higher quality than a local shop would be. It is also hard to find the slp system anymore, they quit making it and slp is out of stock as well as apoc and a few other companies i tried. so i went to my local shop and got 2.25" piping into a magnaflow muffler and it only cost me $100.
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I got the SLP on my car. I like it I did like the Flowmaster 80 I had on it better, but now that the muffler is all broken in, it sounds just as good as the Flowmaster.

It was $481 shipped from SLP, but they are only about 75 minutes from me. SLP also only has the Grand Am dual style so it's a good idea to get the other side cut out. I had it done, people will say you don't need it done, but the car look sooooo much better when the bumper is cutout.

I might have a pic or two of it on my cardomain, I don't have access to my pics now casue I'm at work

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
megabyte
GX Member

megabyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's really worth it to go with a complete brand name cat-back system ?
megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
it really depends on your own personal taste. I heard the slp sounds raspy and that flowmasters have drone real bad. i like my magnaflow its quiet at cruising speeds, but loud when i want it to be. i'm actually kinda glad i didn't get the slp just because $500 is a lot to spend on exhaust in my opinion.
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Is anybody selling their exhaust, i mean i would love to get a cheaper one. lol. what is the cheapest "dual exhaust" out there that is good for the money. and doesnt drone
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's really worth it to go with a complete brand name cat-back system ?

no it isnt. unless you have huge plans for your engine, mandrel bends dont mean shit.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds03alero
it really depends on your own personal taste. I heard the slp sounds raspy and that flowmasters have drone real bad. i like my magnaflow its quiet at cruising speeds, but loud when i want it to be. i'm actually kinda glad i didn't get the slp just because $500 is a lot to spend on exhaust in my opinion.

The SLP is not raspy at all. It sounds great. It has a real bad drone though at about 2k RPM. But sound quality is great, it has a low rumbly muscle car sound.

The only thing i really say is better about premade systems for the average user is durability. The SLP and borla kits are made of great materials. they don't rust out and look horrible in a few years. My slp is about 4 years old now (wow, time flies).. and it still looks great. typical exhaust pipe wears out and rusts.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
I have a borla and i love it..... im thinkin of getting a Ypipe and cutting out the other side of my bumper
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
Hustler

I got a rsm full exhaust with headers, they had to custom make the whole thing and it is mandrel bended. If you go to any muffler shop I think that they can make you a full exhaust with it being mandrel bended cheap.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
shackney
GL Member

shackney is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shackney
how much the magnaflo cost?
shackney is offline   Reply With Quote