Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
Rust never sleeps

Well, ive had this rust problem ever since the first winter i had my car. it went from not too bad, to horrid, to ye gads theres a 24"x6" patch of rust/sheet metal exposed. i tried to the best of my knowledge to remove the excess rust and apply rustoleum, but its coming back.. and its deeper then i ever imagined. it keeps getting progressively worse, and winter is right around the corner, just waiting to eat the rest of it. at this point im not even sure what to do to stop it from progressing further. ive tried sanding everything down and painting whats left...3 times, but it keeps getting worse and worse. help! (fyi, its a lot deeper then the pictures portray.

anything that looks bumpy was rust xD

the sheet metal is a curtain for the mass amounts of oxygenating metal

its even rusting behind the side skirt! ahh!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
thats no fun. i found quite a bit on the underside of the rocker panel a few weks ago. i cleaned it up the best i could and then covered everything i could see in por15. as bad as yours is tho, looks like a whole lot of metal is gonna need to be replaced. good luck.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to see the rust issue, my advice would be to wait on the mods of this section to give you the advice on the repair
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
wow sorry to hear about this rust issue, any plans on how to fix this??

lol, smooth....

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Th0r
GX Member

Th0r will become famous soon enough
Well bdy doesn't know so I'll give it a shot.

Nail file, Glad cling-wrap, and Elmer's glue.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
wow!!
can you give me a step by step instructions on this so my next i-car class i can give them this info so they can update their systems as well
i would really appreciate it
Old 10-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
lol, i would suggest finding a color of play-doh that matches your car and then just mold it to the car and you're all set!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
bdyman
GLS member

yes!! yes!! thats perfect advice, its noted and ill pass it on to my boss and i-car as well
thanks for helping me out
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191

Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
sorry to see the rust issue, my advice would be to wait on the mods of this section to give you the advice on the repair

Being a moderator is mostly about stopping silly quarrels, flame fests, and any other general rule breaking. Hopefully when a question is posted a valued member with experience in whatever area the question is in would willingly post a response. Like i have for a long time about supercharger and 3400 stuff, without ever being a moderator.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
I can haz bondo?
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
I can haz bondo?

i does
Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Caboose73

Just cut out the old sheet metal/rust and glue a new piece over the hole then bondo the seams and blend it in with rattle can paint wont even know its there and probably on cost you like 50 bucks
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
your not going to stop it unless all that metal is replaced....and thats a BIG job. so your car is about 2-3k to fix properly...right bdy? its around that isnt it? i mean thats a lot of hours to fix the car...
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
cut it out, weld new in, grind off, paint done
You forgot primer dumb ass.

Last edited by Oldsnut : 10-26-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
undecided02
GX Member

undecided02 is on a distinguished road
just cut the old sheet metal out, spot weld/ rivet in a new piece and use some glazing putty to smooth the seams. I did both sides on my car in stainless steel paneling, no rust after that.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
It is problems like this that make me want a delorian
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided02 View Post
just cut the old sheet metal out, spot weld/ rivet in a new piece and use some glazing putty to smooth the seams. I did both sides on my car in stainless steel paneling, no rust after that.

true....but he can do it and make it look good.....lol
Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #19
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
damn. i have 0 body work skill. what tools am i gonna need for this?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
then don't do it, this type of work takes a lot of experience and you doing it yourself will only end in bad results and typically more money to spend to fix the original problem plus what you messed up.....

take it to a body shop / thread......