Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Takata & DRs

Used the DRs at the track today. No problem hooking up. Still slow as hell. Methanol isn't even cooling it in hot days. The likely progression of my engine will be MP62 @ 13-14 PSI, and then Garrett turbocharger with FMIC and CO2 intercooler sprayer. I hate high temps. They're killing everything. My tune goes way off, AFRs go to 13s, boost is only 6 psi (normal 8-10) and the car gets slow(er).

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
do those seatbelts stay tight? mine always get loosened up after a couple in-and-outs.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
that is a problem when you are trying to push high boost with a hEaton, they build up a shitload of heat and their effeciency goes down fast....
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
So the drag radials didnt help and the high temp. just hurt more?

And did I just read twin boost?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
@AlbinoMonkeyRat: The harness is just set in there for pictures, I just got it today. The other free one will take some more time to get. I was supposed to get a pair.

@kwhauck: Yep. On the street at night things are perfect... I wish I could use an FMIC or even an L2A integrated. Even the MP62 setup won't use a static intercooling option. So after that I'll turbo and use some real cooling.

@DOHC_tuner: No, no reason to twincharge.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
if you are making the m62 manifold custom you need to look at something small and effecient.....maybe like this......

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=363&catid=139
Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

Those are pretty sweet. In the initial planning phase I considered using Laminova cores like the Cobalt has, but... now I'm currently redesigning the manifold to accomodate an FMIC.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Those are pretty sweet. In the initial planning phase I considered using Laminova cores like the Cobalt has, but... now I'm currently redesigning the manifold to accomodate an FMIC.

why? when working in tight spaces W2A is much more efficient......
Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

I like big front mount intercoolers. With sweet CO2 sprayers.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

i kind of figured that, but had to ask anyways, i'll stick with hiding the w2a in the engine bay, i don't need no big ass FMIC.......
Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
at what boost is the methanol kicking in and are you using a jet to mist it into the manifold? Also where is the methanol being injected into, before or after s/c? I had a buddy use alcohol injection on his GN and it helped a lot but he use 90% alcohol from walgreens. Maybe your washer fluid isn't providing enough methanol to actually work.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

I'm using VP Racing Fuels M-1 Methanol. 99.95% purity. Mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

I have it turning on at 3 psi (although at WOT it's instantaneously beyond that so it's irrelevant), and it has a Coolingmist M5 nozzle (the proper one for my setup) placed just before the throttle body, before the supercharger, so it cools throughout it.

It works great at night time. My temps never go above 120 and they're instantly back down. But again, it only cools the air when boosting. No static intercooling. So right after a run I park it and the temps just go up... start of the next run, temps start at 130+... methanol can only do so much.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
so your hoping that it will cool the air enough to counter act the s/c. I think this is were the issue is. you really should be spraying it after the charger. this is what all the GN people did and even the s/c GA like spaz and aaron were spraying N2O after the charger in order to cool the air before it goes into the motor. Also another advantage of the meth or alcohol is you can increase boost some on say 93 octane fuel.

Honestly i think going to the M62 will be a waste of money being you won't be happy with the results being you'll get what 12 psi and maybe some better cooling but for all the money it will not be the best bang for your buck.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
........So right after a run I park it and the temps just go up... start of the next run, temps start at 130+...

You have to cool it down between runs, there are water hosing stations at the track up here, or fill bottles and pour it on, which is what I do at the track in Kentucky... If you don't, forget about getting decent times consistently.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

So what, you want me to go directly to the snail? A chilled 14 PSI from an MP62 won't be good for low 13s? P&P blower, P&P head, then direct port 100HP nitrous for 12s? Not happy with the results? I think I will be. If the MP62 doesn't seem suitable, I can EASILY sell the setup. It's a greatly desired system on j-body. And then I can go to a GT30R.

With the new manifold design I'll be able to spray meth after the supercharger, but likely won't, as an FMIC and CO2 sprayer on the intercooler should be fine.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
mfuller

I would tend to agree with Scot; that if you are intending to cool the intake charge with meth (or nitrous), you should inject it after the blower. However, I don't know how you would equalize the distribution to all cylinders, since the blower basically sits right on top of the intake manifold. Maybe a direct-port is the best way to go......or just ditch the blower and go with a intercooled snail.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

Instead I'm doing an intercooled roots blower. And then direct port nitrous.

Direct port meth is for vehicles making 1000+ hp, all methanol injection system manufacturers say this. They also claim injection before a roots blower is good. Seemed to work great for the other j-body guys. Doesn't seem to help me once temps get too high. Like I said, at nighttime it's perfect. A 20 second pull goes 70-120 degrees, and then even goes down while WOT-ing.... but in the daytime at a hot track it doesn't work as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #18
mfuller

I have to wonder what meth does to the coating on the rotor lobes.....
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

It's an abratable coating, not Teflon, as so many seem to think. Methanol is perfectly fine for it. EATON approves.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #20
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
so your hoping that it will cool the air enough to counter act the s/c. I think this is were the issue is. you really should be spraying it after the charger.

That's true, I used to spray pure methanol into the throttle body, had the air going into it down to 32 degrees and sometimes even lower...

BUT, the air coming out of the supercharger was still about 30-45 degrees above ambient, not very efficient,

AND, the vaporized methanol displaced and reduced the amount of air entering the system. (that also happens injected after the SC, but to a lesser extent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
Also another advantage of the meth or alcohol is you can increase boost some on say 93 octane fuel.

I disagree with that, if you're saying it will increase octane very much. Figure the amount of alcohol injected as a percentage of the total amount of fuel consumed, and the increase in octane is minimal.