Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Anyone know where the rear block drain is?
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #22
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Its just to the left of the crank sensor. Kind of a pain to get to.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #23
03Alerosil
GL Member

What is the best coolant flush additive to use?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #24
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't use any, just flush it out with a hose and water.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #25
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
I wouldn't use any, just flush it out with a hose and water.

Why? It's gelling up and my instructor suggested I use something like prestone to clean it with while using distilled water
Old 02-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #26
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Anyone know where the rear block drain is?

You can see it here in this photo:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #27
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Why? It's gelling up and my instructor suggested I use something like prestone to clean it with while using distilled water

You can try the Prestone flush, but if it's gelling up that bad then you might need a new radiator & heater core. Hard to say without seeing it.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #28
03Alerosil
GL Member

Thanks starglow for the picture! It's not really bad that's why I'm flushing it now before something does clog up. The gel parts turn to liquid when you touch it. Heater works great and the car doesn't overheat at all so I'm convinced nothin is clogged.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #29
03Alerosil
GL Member

Went to the local NAPA and bought some Zerex Radiator flush, it will help clean it out without being an aggressive cleaner.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #30
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:

May or may not do more harm than good. Its just my opinion. If its gelling up you need to flush the coolant more often.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #31
03Alerosil
GL Member

I just found the gelling issue. That's why I got the flush, 6 gallons of distilled water, and 4 gallons of 50/50 dexcool to rectify the issue. My wife owned the car before I met her and she is not good with maintenance and I've only seen 20k put on the car since I met her. It wasn't gelling up when i first met her
Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #32
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well today is the day. Working on the wife's car and getting all that bad dex cool out as well as the few maintenance items. Wix filters for everything. Mobil 1 High mileage synthetic oil.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #33
Starglow
GX Member

Quote:
Well today is the day. Working on the wife's car and getting all that bad dex cool out as well as the few maintenance items. Wix filters for everything. Mobil 1 High mileage synthetic oil.

Have fun and good luck. Just remember it's only nuts & bolts and if you start getting frustrated then take a short break.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #34
03Alerosil
GL Member

I'm sure it will go ok. Can't be any worse than the transmission I put in a 22 year old Chevy farm truck. Now that was a chore
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #35
03Alerosil
GL Member

Well I got the coolant switched out as well as the thermostat and hoses. The rear(firewall side) block drain in a 3.4 is a pain in the butt. I got it out alright using a bunch of extensions, a swivel socket, and a universal. I had to have a little guy put it back in for me because I couldn't get my hand up to it and the socket wouldn't hold it at the right angle. God bless the little people. Well he is little to me. I'm 6'8" 330lbs. He is 5'3" and like 105lbs.

Thermostat wasn't that bad actually. The S-shaped 13mm wrench I have made easy work of it. Sure beats taking the exhaust crossover off. I did remove the throttle body though, it needed a cleaning anyway, and gaskets are cheap.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #36
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Well I got the coolant switched out as well as the thermostat and hoses. The rear(firewall side) block drain in a 3.4 is a pain in the butt. I got it out alright using a bunch of extensions, a swivel socket, and a universal. I had to have a little guy put it back in for me because I couldn't get my hand up to it and the socket wouldn't hold it at the right angle. God bless the little people. Well he is little to me. I'm 6'8" 330lbs. He is 5'3" and like 105lbs.

Thermostat wasn't that bad actually. The S-shaped 13mm wrench I have made easy work of it. Sure beats taking the exhaust crossover off. I did remove the throttle body though, it needed a cleaning anyway, and gaskets are cheap.

S shapes 13mm wrench. Got pic of it? There is a special wrench made for this:
http://atdtools.com/3310

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-3310.../dp/B00H2VV0UE

NAPA carries it as well.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #37
03Alerosil
GL Member

No I dont. It's just an S shaped snap on wrench that is closed on each end. 14mm on one side and 13mm on the other end.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #38
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Ive never had to remove the cross over, its hard but doable with some thinking with a normal wrench.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #39
richardg
GX Member

richardg is on a distinguished road
^x2 I've done it both ways, with and without.
2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT1
2005 Chevrolet Impala
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote