Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Alright lets just say Im clueless when it comes to this so i'm coming to you guys because I need help. I just got some eibach lowering springs, but now im hereing I should get new struts to. Is this true?Is there a difference between struts and shocks and if there is what's the difference? Is there anything else needed to be done to complete the suspension? I'm sorry if this has been posted but im getting so many different answers I thought i'd throw it out there to the suspension professionals for the real dirt on this.

thanks for the help
Wrightie
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
johny_boy32
V.I.P. Member

johny_boy32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to johny_boy32
TRY THIS
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
2 things to know, most people buy the sprint/springtech and from the posts that I ahve read the eibach's arent that good.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
jeremythebear
GX Member

jeremythebear is an unknown quantity at this point
1) By getting new kyb struts installed at the same time you save install costs
2) if you have more than 70k on the factory struts it wouldn't be a waste
3) kyb struts will "control" your eibachs better
jeremythebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Grouch

me thinks everybody just needs to chill out. thread cleaned.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
OpalaAlero

Maybe someone can correct this, but I heard KYB struts aren't necessary if your getting Spring Techs. New factory ones are fine. This true?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
|Rev|

Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS@Feb 15 2005, 02:45 AM
2 things to know, most people buy the sprint/springtech and from the posts that I ahve read the eibach's arent that good.
Eibachs are the best for performance, but not so good for lowering for looks.

I have 74K miles on my car, and I have the sprint springs with stock struts, and the struts are holding up just fine. You will be ok with using your stock struts, and maybey get some GR2's later on. It's not hard to do by yourself, you should really try to do it by yourself, after you do it, you get that feeling of accomplishment of doing it by yourself!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
when i droped mine i got new struts i had 30k on the car i got monroe sensatracks they are good and the ride is way performance. conors like it is on rails but you can fe3el every bump in the rode. ps i ran out of money so i just cut my coils works great i am thinking of takeing another inch out of it.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
|Rev|

Quote:
Originally posted by slowandlow@Feb 16 2005, 03:45 AM
when i droped mine i got new struts i had 30k on the car i got monroe sensatracks they are good and the ride is way performance. conors like it is on rails but you can fe3el every bump in the rode. ps i ran out of money so i just cut my coils works great i am thinking of takeing another inch out of it.
this reminds me of that one kid that came on trying to sell a 3" drop, he needed us to send him our stock springs too so he could cut them and send them back, anyone remember how bad he got burned??
Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS@Feb 14 2005, 09:45 PM
Where?

Eibach's are fine. Some guys don't like them because they only lower the car 1.25"

You do not need new struts if your sturts are new, but if they are getting old and you're going to replace them soon anyway, I'd say do it now. You'll just pay to do the work twice.

If you do replace the struts, I suggest KYB's. They are gas filled instead of oil, I think they give a better ride (along with no frozen oil in the winter time, it happenes sometimes)

Plus wheather or not you do struts, you'll still need an aligment.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
i thought we had machpherson struts that were already gas filled? or was that for different years?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:34 AM   #12
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
they're macpherson but they arent gas filled.
btw, ive owned or at least ridden in just about every type of suspension for our cars, so far, intrax with stock struts are my favorite, if you want a more responsive setup go with intrax and kyb's
Old 02-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
isellalerodrop

Quote:
Originally posted by |Rev|+Feb 16 2005, 10:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (|Rev| @ Feb 16 2005, 10:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slowandlow@Feb 16 2005, 03:45 AM
when i droped mine i got new struts i had 30k on the car i got monroe sensatracksÂ;-) they are good and the ride is way performance.Â;-) conors like it is on railsÂ;-) but you can fe3el every bump in the rode. ps i ran out of money so i just cut my coilsÂ;-) works great i am thinking of takeing another inch out of it.
this reminds me of that one kid that came on trying to sell a 3" drop, he needed us to send him our stock springs too so he could cut them and send them back, anyone remember how bad he got burned?? [/b][/quote]
Hey ya dip poop, why dont you pay attention to thing 1st of all you didnt need to send me stock springs, secound of all they werent cut and third of all seeing my car is on here and still hasnt had a problem i can pritty much say i proved all you guys wrong. Only dumb asses like you were saying you cant get 3' without cutting the springs , take a look at my cars pics and shut the f*** up about it. :thumbsup:
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #14
flalero

^^Easy Killer!

Anyway, I currently have KYB's and Springtechs, and the ride is extremely harsh, but that's the way I like it. To get the maximum performance out of your springs, you should replace the struts. Our stock struts are not designed for the shorter rebound that lower springs will give you. You don't HAVE to replace the struts at all, though, if they are newer. If they are old, you will have to replace them. I had Eibachs on my GA and I didn't replace the struts then. I ended up replacing them about 5,000 miles later, when they went out.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #15
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Make sure you cut your strut bumper when you do it, with a drop its possible your strut could bottom out if you dont. its inside the strut boot, you pop it out and cut it at the first rib (its a white rubber thing about 3" tall, you want it to be like 2.25) this is going off memory, but you'll know what i mean when you pull it apart

with stock struts, you'll have a bouncier ride if you have low mileage and the more "performance" factory struts, its not so necessary
Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #16
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by isellalerodrop+Feb 17 2005, 02:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (isellalerodrop @ Feb 17 2005, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by |Rev|@Feb 16 2005, 10:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-slowandlow
Quote:
@Feb 16 2005, 03:45 AM
when i droped mine i got new struts i had 30k on the car i got monroe sensatracksÂ;-) they are good and the ride is way performance.Â;-) conors like it is on railsÂ;-) but you can fe3el every bump in the rode. ps i ran out of money so i just cut my coilsÂ;-) works great i am thinking of takeing another inch out of it.

this reminds me of that one kid that came on trying to sell a 3" drop, he needed us to send him our stock springs too so he could cut them and send them back, anyone remember how bad he got burned??
Hey ya dip poop, why dont you pay attention to thing 1st of all you didnt need to send me stock springs, secound of all they werent cut and third of all seeing my car is on here and still hasnt had a problem i can pritty much say i proved all you guys wrong. Only dumb asses like you were saying you cant get 3' without cutting the springs , take a look at my cars pics and shut the f*** up about it. :thumbsup: [/b][/quote]
calm down turbo

got any pics? id like to see.......(im not a doubter or believer)
Old 02-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #17
isellalerodrop

Quote:
Originally posted by mike2002+Feb 17 2005, 06:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mike2002 @ Feb 17 2005, 06:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by isellalerodrop@Feb 17 2005, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by |Rev|@Feb 16 2005, 10:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-slowandlow
Quote:
Quote:
@Feb 16 2005, 03:45 AM

Hey ya dip poop, why dont you pay attention to thing 1st of all you didnt need to send me stock springs, secound of all they werent cut and third of all seeing my car is on here and still hasnt had a problem i can pritty much say i proved all you guys wrong. Only dumb asses like you were saying you cant get 3' without cutting the springs , take a look at my cars pics and shut the f*** up about it. :thumbsup:
calm down turbo

got any pics? id like to see.......(im not a doubter or believer) [/b][/quote]
Heres with the stock rims
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #18
isellalerodrop

and another
Old 02-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #19
flalero

And again I say, it doesn't look much lower, if any lower than ST's.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #20
mike2002
GLS member

top pic looks lower than the bottom pic

it looks 1/2" lower in the back, 1" lower in the front...just a guess

to low for me....id rather fill my wheel wells with bigger tires on my springtech dropped car