Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, I'm not the sound guru, and I know some of you on here probably are (sound_xtreme).

I'm now addicted to my XM setup I bought for my wife (seriously, for her...heh) but I've been looking for a deck for my car that has XM built in. While looking around, I come up with some of the following descriptions:

XM ready
XM compatible
XM possible
XM we're thinkin about it.

What's the difference in "ready" and "compatible"

Basically I dont want extra poop (did this thing really change it to "poop"?)on my dashboard, so if there's a deck that is fully CD/MP3/XM all built in, that's what I want. Just use the deck to tune XM stations, etc.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
there all mean the same thing, my alpine headunit is xm ready. I just got the direct xm box with the antenna and hooked it up to the headunit at circuit. The xm box was 30 bucks, but they have a mail in rebate for $50. So XM is paying me actually right now, plus activation fee is wavied until the 3rd. I'm loving it with as much driving i do going to shows. Well I just drove 1000 miles in the past 3 days visiting peeps in the state of louisana.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to buy a separate receiver, and antennae for it bud. all there is too it. you still tune through the headunit tho.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, tuning through the headunit is ok, as long as I dont have to have the XM receiver as a separate deformity growing from my dashboard (or anywhere else visible for that matter). That pretty well the case then, just stash it away somewhere permanently out of sight?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
You do need a seperate box for the XM. Its small...maybe the size of a small amp...real small amp. I've got mine mounted on the back of my sub box. You can also run the antenna on the roof or just leave it on the back deck (thats what i do). It really doesn't hurt reception to the point where its noticable to have it on the deck. The reciever is quite small though...could take a pic, but can't do it for a little while til I can get back over to my garage.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I think that description will suffice, no need to run out and take pics, thank you though.

That will pretty much wrap up that part of the question, now....if someone can offer advice on a decent sounding low-budget deck I would appreciate it. I like my sound to be crisp and clean, but I'm not looking to win (or even enter) any shows. If it does a good job of playing CD's (with MP3 capability) and can control XM, it doesn't have to be top of the line. (I wouldn't mind if it had 1/8 audio input on it so I can tap in my DVD audio coming from my hidden laptop though) Suggestions?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
here's a page of Pioneers http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UahPKnaDmSO/c...Pioneer#see_all
that would be where I would go. They are good decks, MP3, WMA and XM and Sirrius satelitte ready.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I know this is going to be a matter of opinion:

Kenwood, Alpine, and Pioneer used to be the best 3 back in the day, but some say that Kenwood has gone down the tubes lately. Any truth to that?

Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
i say pioneer. that's all i have in my cars. i swear by them.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you are just looking for a decent HU then find what brand matches your budget and chriteria. Trust me, all brands have good points and bad points. While some may be slightly better than others, they are all far superior in technology and reliability than previous years. If you ever plan to run external amps go with a deck that has lower voltage output. All xm tuner modules are made by xm, but are distributed through aftermarket or OEM companies. The same holds true for sirius. The only variations are the bus signal that communicates to the HU. The issue I have with these tuners is that they only carry a 1 volt max output. Since your HU sees the tuner as a aux signal no boosting of the voltage is done. The higher your HU voltage, the more variation you will hear between cd and xm. My 8 volt HU makes this a very annoying factor. To the extent that I canned my sirius tuner all togeather. (not to mention the lack of sound quality that xm has on it).
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

now that you mention it, I do remember seeing an "XM ready" cd deck that said 4 volt outputs. Worth me looking into further?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #12
tenny

4 volt is high, 2.2 is or 1.8 is low and are cheaper.

I didn't know it did this, i'm looking at getting one as well. My pioneer deck has a feature called asl which is supposed to set the volume the same for all inputs. Anyone know if it works with the xm?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #13
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

I would say go with Pioneer...its all i've bought up until this alpine and the only reason i got it was because pioneer didnt bring out a tv yet at the time.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #14
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by tenny@Jan 4 2006, 05:37 AM
4 volt is high, 2.2 is or 1.8 is low and are cheaper.

I didn't know it did this, i'm looking at getting one as well. My pioneer deck has a feature called asl which is supposed to set the volume the same for all inputs. Anyone know if it works with the xm?

The best way to tell is call there support. My eclipse has the same feature. A internal preamp boosts the auxi nputs to match your cd player. However, it does not do it with the cd changer port. I would have thought that it should concidering your cd changer will sound like crap if doesn't.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
RAVAGE214

i have the pioneer DEH-P7600MP and i love it, i had wma and mp3 along with xm radio (havent touched fm since) also aux input is really easy all you gotta do is buy like an adapter box, i got it hooked up to a portable dvd player and its more enjoyable than watching movies on the stereo at home.

easy to use, super customizable EQ and the organic EL? display is great i can read it even when the suns right on it.