Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Major coolant system leak.

I hope someone can help with this. This is my situation- This car has to last me a couple weeks longer. I have been having all kind of leaking problems. For example the last episode: Friday, go to get transfer of title and notice a major leak from the excess hose that is right by the cap. I was prepared for this and took my trusty gallon of water and filled it up. Saturday I go and trade the reservoir for a new one. (Keeping in mind that something else is really the source problem, just trying to make it last til I get rid of it). I put it on and on Monday topped it off after running the car because I figure it wasnt really topped off when I replaced it. (I didnt run it and top it off at that point). And now, one day later my car is over heating. I look under the hood and there is a lot of air noise being released in and around the reservoir. I cant tell exactly where from though and there is def signs of coolant all over that side. But of course no current leak to tell exactly where from. What is the most likely culprit? I have thought of thermostat, like if it were getting stuck, maybe causing pressure that would make it do this. Previous incidents included the leaking of the reservoir around the seam at about the halfway mark on the bottle. I have also thought water pump but I doubt it. Ideas please? I am not at a location that is easy to look at the car. Thanks.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
alerogls001
GL Member

I just took vid if anyone needs to see it but I dont see how it will help. It is leaking from the center side of the reservoir and from the bottom of the reservoir. Guess the only question is what is causing so much pressure...

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Monza
GX Member

Monza is on a distinguished road
Head gasket?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Yeah I was guessing head gasket too... are you burning coolant? (white smoke)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Def a HG! That's what happened to my car, but at least my coolant wouldn't push out that quick, only when I got on it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
alerogls001
GL Member

Omg. Well thats not what I wanted to hear lol. Crap. Theres no way I can deal with that at this point.... But no, no white smoke.
Is it worth me trying the thermostat??

Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerogls001 View Post
Is it worth me trying the thermostat??

If you want you can remove the thermostat and test it.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
alerogls001
GL Member

I guess its better than nothing. I found a thread on upper and lower intake manifold gasket replacement but not head gasket. Is HG completely different? Easier maybe. I had the LIM replaced like a year and a half ago...

Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Not to bad just take your time, it's one step further than limg. I believe complete head gasket set with metal limg is around ~200ish. I'd also send the heads to a machine shop to make sure they aren't warped, and take an air gun to the block to blow out the excess coolant that could have gotten somewhere it shouldn't be.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
alerogls001
GL Member

Well, thanks for all the info and opinions. Helped me to decide to look at other options. I have found a loaner my sister has til I can get the new car. Just not worth putting anything else into this for such a short period of time. I'll be selling parts off of this car though... I'll start listing shortly.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Put some of that coolant sealing crap in there is your going to get rid of the car

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
alerogls001
GL Member

It just needs to make it to the dealership- its going to a junkyard. Im gonna miss the hell out of this car.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so we will be seeing you parting it out in the For Sale section?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote