Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
What GPS do I buy for Mom?

My mom went to a funeral in Norristown, PA 2 weeks ago, and ended up on the really bad side of town. She had my Grandmom (her mom) and my uncle's friend who doesn't even have a driver's license with her. Needless to say, these two got my mom more lost, on a shitty rainy day, in the worst part of tha hood!

Anyway, my mom's brother's wife, (it was her father that past away) said she was going to buy her a GPS and my mom said "Kenny, you're buying me one for Christmas" She doesn't want her brother, with 2 kids in college, to spend that kind of money on her.

My mom is very basic. I mean very basic. She still uses her VCR every day to tape her soaps. When the one she had broke, I had her old one (VHS DVD combo) so I gave it back to her and picked one up on CL (Adam uses this one) She will not get cable or the internet until she retires, which is in about 10 years. I was surpirsed she wants a smartphone. She likes my iPhone a lot go figure.

Which GPS is the easiest to use. She has a 2001 Cavalier (ton of labor) and she wouldn't want a head unit anyway. Even the easiest one is going to be difficult for her to use, so keep that in mind.

For me, I'd buy what I like/afford, and figure it out

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
im sure you will be fine with a tom tom from target/best buy for around 100$(about as cheap as it gets) but i always hear nothing but good things from any tom tom gps.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
im sure you will be fine with a tom tom from target/best buy for around 100$(about as cheap as it gets) but i always hear nothing but good things from any tom tom gps.

I second this, i have had one that i have used for about 4 years now on and off, very effective windshield mount, easy to use software, and has good features like auto dim etc.
The Garmin are allso good (use them for work 3yrs now) and they are allso good.

ive noticed that the Garmin ive used seemed to be better in city's with highways with on/off ramps and lane positioning, however in the tom toms defence i have never updated it..lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
my tomtom sucked, I missed more turns with that thing than I would have with a map. half the time it would tell me I missed a turn 1/2 mi after I passed it, try that crap in Tulsa construction. I finally got sick of it and quit using it, it was slow, and even with updates 2/10 roads were messed up and it took forever to re-route to the same damn road.

that POS is for sale too If I can find it. cheep
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
When I worked at Best buy and at Future shop I always recommended the Garmins over Tomtoms... I found them much more easier to use for people who are not tech savvy. Its been 3+ years and my brother's 255W Garmin still works like new. I have the 265W as well and I have very little to complain about. Only thing I hate about the Garmin GPSes is that if you dont have the most recent map update, it'll bug you about it when you turn the unit on. It doesn't do it every time you turn it on though just sometimes. It's a little annoying but meh not a deal breaker IMO.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is take your mom into the store and let her try them out herself to help her get to know her options so she can choose which one is easier for her to operate. I personally don't know how much GPSs has changed in the last 2 years, but I know the Garmin has big icons and the menus are quite straight-forward and easy to navigate through.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
whatever you get make sure it has a LM in it. It means lifetime maps. That way she wont have to pay 80$ to get it updated
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
whatever you get make sure it has a LM in it. It means lifetime maps. That way she wont have to pay 80$ to get it updated

This is probably more important than brand, but I prefer TomTom over Garmin, but all the GPS I have used are at least a few years old by now.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
You can also get LMT which is lifetime map and traffic
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
my moms tom tom works ok, however it likes to wait until you are close to the turn...this is usually only actually a problem when you are on the interstate and you are in the 3rd or 4th lane over and it says oh and by the way
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
my moms tom tom works ok, however it likes to wait until you are close to the turn...this is usually only actually a problem when you are on the interstate and you are in the 3rd or 4th lane over and it says oh and by the way

haha thats what my navigon does sometimes! then you're like.....

sh**, can i get over?? haha gotta love gps's.

anyway, i guess its upon what people do or dont encounter with different brands, ive heard garmins are good too. so i guess its all just about personal opinion.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 08-28-2012 at 12:38 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the cheapest and best route to go would first of all look for garmin. Garmin only!
Next go onto craigslist and find the cheapest one with the best condition, doesnt matter what year. Then buy the upgraded maps for said cheap gps.

I bought my gf a gps for xmas for $35 on craigslist!
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i also agree with garmin over tom tom. took my tom tom to Edmonton, left it in my glove box while i was at west ed. went to leave and my gps wouldnt turn on. lost in the middle of edmonton with no way to know where to go

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Get a Garmin with the unlimited free map updates.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Thats the garmen LM i work for bestbuy i know this shit

Shawnith what department did you work for. im asset protection.