Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #21
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit9alero View Post
wait so the dsm (diamond star motors) aren't good, jus curious y ive read review people seem pretty happy with them ive also heard they have "bullet proof" engines im just very curious if you guys preferably black jack just to show me these points
ok, this is based on personal experience, so take it as just that. Just like Alero's have their problems like LIM gaskets and such, DSM has their own set of problems, but when it comes down to it, everyone is going to offer their opinions on what they've heard. On the other hand, you'll run into people that haven't had a problem with theirs, and they'll refute whether or not it's a bad product.

I've had a 2.2 with factory oiling issues, caused the cam to meet with resistance, slipped the timing belt, and busted a hole in the pistons and bent the valves. Rather costly.

I later had an engine that dropped a valve seat, and it was a known factory problem. Factory wouldn't replace it, and a replacement head was going to cost me slightly more than an entire rebuilt long-block.

I've had numerous friends and family with various makes, from actual DSM to chryslers with DSM drivetrains in them, and the majority have had numerous complaints from drivetrain failures to electronics.

I'm not going to tell you that DSM's are a piece of crap, maybe myself and the people I know just had bad luck with them

Bottom line is, you should do some research, and I'm sure if you go on DSM related sites, you'll hear them bitch about stuff on their cars just as much as we do, so factor that in when making your choice.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
as a rule of I never buy cars from mechanics...

Why they should be better maintained. Everybody we know wants to buy my dad's vehicles when he's done with them b\c they know they have been very well maintained, b\c he's a mechanic.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, guess that depends on where you're from. Normally, mechanics drive the worst pieces of crap, and construction workers live in the worst houses.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
lol you and the mods may be the only ones
There are probably mods that don't own their ho anymore.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #25
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
There are probably mods that don't own their ho anymore.

If I got rid of the Alero, I'd step down as an Adim. I feel that's only right

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:11 AM   #26
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Anyways, last Alero was produce 3 years ago, and are soon to be out of warranty. I think its usual that ppl change cars every 4-5 years. You'll always have some purist that will keep them forever, but mainly, ppl do sell their car after a while, Alero or not.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #27
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
My warranty is up on 11/17/2011 or 100,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

.... Then the Ecotec gets built up. That's the only thing i don't like about warranty, you have to keep it stock for the most part.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #28
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Wow, thats some nice extended warranty.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #29
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
hahaha, guess that depends on where you're from. Normally, mechanics drive the worst pieces of crap, and construction workers live in the worst houses.

Very true, its because they usually don't have anytime to work on thier own shit.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #30
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
if a mechanic is selling a car its because he bought it from some guy that didnt want to get it fixed cause of the price, now considering he fixed the issue he would not just turn around and sell it. If he did a real good job on it he would keep it cause i knows it will last but since hes selling it its most probably cause he knows sooner or later it will break again. My water pump went out, but instead of debating of selling it which never crossed my mind, the water pump going out gave me a reason to rebuild the engine and get it ready for boost.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #31
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
if a mechanic is selling a car its because he bought it from some guy that didnt want to get it fixed cause of the price, now considering he fixed the issue he would not just turn around and sell it. If he did a real good job on it he would keep it cause i knows it will last but since hes selling it its most probably cause he knows sooner or later it will break again. My water pump went out, but instead of debating of selling it which never crossed my mind, the water pump going out gave me a reason to rebuild the engine and get it ready for boost.

If he kept every car he bought and fixed, he'd need a pretty big garage to park them all in. Just because a mechanic is selling a car doesn't mean it's problematic. A reputable mechanic isn't gonna sell a car that he thinks is gonna break down soon without telling the buyer what they're getting into. Just don't buy from one you don't trust.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #32
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post
Anyways, last Alero was produce 3 years ago, and are soon to be out of warranty. I think its usual that ppl change cars every 4-5 years. You'll always have some purist that will keep them forever, but mainly, ppl do sell their car after a while, Alero or not.

Im keeping my alero for a long time. Ive put $3000 into it so far and i dont plan on stopping for a while. this is what people have to do......go buy a winter beater and drive that in the shitty weather. I dont want to sell my car now, cause im not going to get much for it, plus i love the car.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #33
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
water pump is too easy to fix to sell the car over. Good decision. I know several people who have DSM cars, not the most reliable once they get older, especially after mods. I have seen plenty of headgaskets go in the middle of the freeway. DSM cars, especially the talons and the eclipses make great power with the turbos.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote