Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Badaxe
GX Member

Badaxe is on a distinguished road
Upgrading sound system

So here is the gist of what's happening and my plan to resolve it. The antenna/defroster modulator cooked itself and I've been told that it is the reason for only getting two decent FM signals. While teaching my 8y/o the basics of fade/balance/base/treble we found that the rear speakers barely work and the front ones can't handle much of the low frequencies.

While I'm very capable of applying band-aids, I also have a sickness that has a taste for surgery(a minor one in this case). So there is a Double-Din standing by, I just need to find some basic better than stock speakers, and thinking of doing a roof mount antenna. The car is just my commuter right now so that's why I'm looking to stay just better than stock and not dropping in the 1500watt amp and Focal speakers.

So now for needed advise, has anyone done an aftermarket antenna and what speakers would you recommend? Planning on front components.
Badaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
my alpine type r's sound great. mines amped at 130rms per channel, but i think they would sound ok without them.

i also had some kicker component 5.25 that fit in the factory spots. those sounded awesome too. i love component speakrs

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Badaxe
GX Member

What's the deal with "amplified" antennas? I'm looking at this one.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160632634384... 4.m1423.l2649

Also very nice to know the 5.25 will drop in.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

http://www.metraonline.com/part/Chev...sh_kit_82-3300

mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I have a set of alpine type R 6X9s for sale. they are an awesome speaker.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
A great bang for the buck speaker the sounds amazing with or without a amp is the Infinity Reference series. Beautiful sound reproduction and very cost efficient.
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

i have type r speakers up front, and have infinity reference 6x9s in the back lol. and i can vouch that they sound really good.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
infinities were the first speakers I got, they sounded great for a months until they blew one by one. now this I'v gone alpine, I'll never go back.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
My experience with those amplified antennas- they suck.

I tried going to one in my Alero instead of the stock antenna and it was so much worse I switched back right away.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Badaxe
GX Member

My stock antenna is worthless right now. I can't figure out why I'm not getting juice to my defrost button, all fuses are good and new plug/modulator in the back. from what I've read that is the "only" reason it's not picking up an FM signal.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
DRM Racing
GX Member

DRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond reputeDRM Racing has a reputation beyond repute
thats because the antenna in our cars are tied through the rear defrost in the back window. check your connections back there and see if where it plugs in on the sides back there is broken or any corrosion. Also check the metal lines that run from side to side and see if there are any breaks in the lines. If there is thats your problem cause there isnt a connection between the two sides.
DRM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Badaxe
GX Member

Everything is intact and still no change. Time to start going through relays. I'm still gonna do the aftermarket stubby.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badaxe View Post
Everything is intact and still no change. Time to start going through relays. I'm still gonna do the aftermarket stubby.

maybe this will help.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...rear+defroster
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Badaxe
GX Member

So, stock I've got the 4x6 and tweets in the front doors(and 6x9 in back deck). I bought a double DIN install kit, and was thinking to keep it simple; plug and play with harness vs rewire all speakers. How are the front speakers wired? I haven't pulled door panels yet. Obviously both sets are to the front channel, but are they wired as components would be or are there two sets of wires going into the door? I am planning on putting in a component set. Do I need to spend the time running wires now or just splice at the speaker locations when I upgrade the speakers I don't have yet?