Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

GLS_Jeff is on a distinguished road
New guy needs help with steering

Hey everyone. Had my baby for two weeks now. I have a 2000 GLS 3400. Lost my power steering and noticed it was leaking out the bottom back of the engine. Replaced the High Pressure hose and was positive that was it and its not F_ _ _ ME! Now i think it's the leaking from the rack/pinion. I found a remanufactured one on ebay for $95 shipped but im wondering if this is something I can even do myself. The hose took like 2 hours to change cause I had a whole 3 inches of space to work in. Is this like a mission impossible job? Also my pump is now vibrating and making a whinning sound even when it has fluid in it for the whole minute it lasts before it all leaks out. Did I also fry the pump? I drove the car home about 10 miles after the power steering went out. Thanks guys
GLS_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I had the same issue earlier this year... Talk about a major headache! It could be your rack/pinion. I don't know how easy it is to replace.....

Once it's all fixed, your pump will probably whine for a while.... Mine did for a couple days before it finally stopped.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Thanks at least I don't need a new pump. My baby has been sitting for a week and it's absolutly killing me.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
there is a power steering additive at auto zone I used on my cutlass and it worked within a day, stopped the whining.
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Awesome do you remember the brand?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
STP is the best one for it
Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Thanks STP it is. Now I just have to wait till the new rack/pinion shows up and hope that i can change it
Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
hok666
GLS member

hok666 is an unknown quantity at this point
stp i think
hok666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Does anyone know how the rack and pinion comes out of the car once you have everything unbolted? The new comes all together so I was wondering if you can just pull the old one out in one piece.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS_Jeff View Post
Does anyone know how the rack and pinion comes out of the car once you have everything unbolted? The new comes all together so I was wondering if you can just pull the old one out in one piece.
It's a b_ch and a half to do. You have to drop the frame. I did mine in my shop - took me half a day, with the lift and access to all the tools. Broke a bushing too so prepare for replacing extra stuff. My pump whined for a couple of days after.
Btw. you will need an alignment after, as the position of the tie-rod ends will shift, so either way you will have to end up in a shop. But good luck!
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Ok so basically mission impossible in my driveway. This is gonna be expensive. This car is as bad as my kids, lol.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Ok so basically mission impossible in my driveway. This is gonna be expensive. This car is as bad as my kids, lol.
Nothing is impossible, depends on how skilled you are. Some people swap engines on driveways, some can't even put a spare tire on. However it will be pretty challending to do it with just a regular jack/stands. Try to see if you got a friend with an access to a lift, then it's pretty straight forward to do the job
Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Im pretty skilled engine wise but I don't have much experience with suspensions. I ordered the service repair manual so that should be a huge help. I'm going to give it a try when it comes and if all else fails then to the shop she goes. Thanks for your help I will keep you updated
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Im pretty skilled engine wise but I don't have much experience with suspensions. I ordered the service repair manual so that should be a huge help. I'm going to give it a try when it comes and if all else fails then to the shop she goes. Thanks for your help I will keep you updated
Yeah, trying (and sometime braking stuff) is the only way to learn lol. I replaced mine a couple years ago, but if you got any questions PM me. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
04inprogress
GX Member

04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute04inprogress has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is an old thread but for anyone that wants to change their rack and pinion without a lift it is possible without lowering the subframe, I did mine in a tiny apartment garage with only a couple jackstands and a jack

1. Put the front end on jackstands high enough to work under it.
Disconnect the tie rod ends and the passenger side monting bolt for the rack itself.
2. Remove the bolt from the steering shaft and slide out of the way.
3. In order to get the drivers side mounting bolt off the rack disconnect the swap bar at both lower a arms and rotate the bar up. The rack will now be loose.
4. Remove the hoses after draining the reservoir.
5. In order to slide it out from the drivers side wheel well you must remove the rear lower trans mount and jack up the tranny as far as possible (there are only a couple inches of play).

Remove replace repeat in reverse.

Now is also a good time to get new tie rod ends that actually have zert fittings.
Took me about 6 hours start to finish including a tape measure alignment, I could prob do it in half that now that I figured it out.
Good luck to anyone else who wants to tackle this!

Last edited by 04inprogress : 01-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
04inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the contribution you should make a more detailed how to if you get a chance pictures are always a bonus