Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
thegoat54
GX Member

thegoat54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing one of those fake alarm blinkers!

Hey there,

Had a break in, so I feel like its time for some real security. Thus I'm installing a fake LED blinker!

Whats a good spot to put it?

I need to also find a few wires to hook it up too. Which spots would you wire it too?

I need

1. Ground
2. Constant 12V (Running or not)
3. 12V when car is running only!

Where would you guys hook this up?
thegoat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
Trust me on this one, I live in Phoenix AZ, one of the highest areas for vehicular crimes, a fake LED will not stop many people. You really should think about getting a real alarm system instead.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
thegoat54
GX Member

Not interested in a real alarm.

I only have the stock radio in the car. They broke in for the nickles and dimes in the cup holder. (they also got my bluetooth headset, but that was in the glove box so they didn't break in BECAUSE of it)

I'm not going to spend alot of money on a real alarm. I think a fake one would probably be enough to scare off most thieves considering the payout is nearly nothing.

The other thing that I'm mad about is I had my cluster out the last couple of days because one of the bulbs burnt out. So I've got my cluster in place with 2 screws until I find the time to get to the store to get another bulb, and I had the other screws in the cup holder with my change. So they're gone also!! Damn! That means I need to get 2 more cluster screws, and then the other 2 screws that hold the Cluster Cover thing on.

GRRRRRRR!

Last edited by thegoat54 : 12-23-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
AZFire316
GL Member

Well, for petty thieves, you're right but for one looking for a joyride, a real alarm goes further at preventing break in, destroyed dash from them trying to start your car.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
thegoat54
GX Member

Ok. I know all that. . . .

Assuming I only want to protect my self from petty theives . . .

Where would you guys stick your LED?

And anyone know which wires to use for Constant 12V, and switched 12V?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
AZFire316
GL Member

My LED is located in the radio bezzle, as far as powering it to blink, i wouldnt know how to do that.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
you can buy blinking LED's
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Go to eBay and buy a Varda (or something like that) LED light, Get red for the best effect.

The wires are very thin, but here's the best way to hook it up.

There are 3 wires, black, red and yellow. The black is ground, the red I think is if you already have an alarm in the car, if not, it doesn't get hooked up, the yellow goes to an ingition source.

When I put this in the Delta (didn't have an alarm) I had to hook the red wire up to a constant 12 volt source. When I didn't do that the light would flash when the ingtion was on. Kinda the oppsite effect.

You can get a ign soruce behind the radio. There are 2 yellow wires back there, one is a speaker wire, the other ign. The ground, just strip the wire and tighten a bolt inside the box on it, Just make sure it's between the washer and bolt head

Best place to put the light. Drill a hole in the radio bezel trim right above the radio. There is a little box on the alarm light I told you about, that can sit on top of the radio, or tucked next to the radio (there's a pocket there between the mounting box and dash.

Easy install. Wire strippers, flat head screw driver, and 4 7mm bolts

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
itsbmw

If you already have one that takes a 12v+ constant, ground and 12v+ switched(acc), tap the sunroof fuse for the swithced source, Find another fuse that give you power with the car off, and there's a bolt in the fuse box you can loosen for a ground. I'd put the light in the cowl by the windshield.

Last edited by itsbmw : 12-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
put it up in the cubby thing just above the rearview mirror. IMO that'd be a good place
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
itsbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
put it up in the cubby thing just above the rearview mirror. IMO that'd be a good place

if you're gonna put it by there, get one of those scanning ones