Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
thegoat54
GX Member

thegoat54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Parking brake light intermittently goes on and off.

Does anyone know why my 2004 Alero parking break light goes on and off on its own? When it goes on I've tried pulling up and slamming down the parking break but that doesn't work. Then a few miles down the road it will go off on its own again!

Its kind of annoying because I use my Cruise Control all the time and when the light is on it won't let me activate cruise!

Thanks

Fo
thegoat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
happened to me dude, check your brake fluid. I was low on brake fluid and as soon as I topped it up it never back came on.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Learn to spell Brake! I changed the title of the thread for you. Above suggestion is a good place to start.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Could also be the sensor in the bottom of the master cyl. Mine is bad and been unpluged for about 4 years now

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Check the fluid level, mine was still above the fill line, but it got really touchy, fill it to the top level, and then when you replace your pads they'll just have to suck some out.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
thegoat54
GX Member

thegoat54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Low brake fluid was the problem! Thank you!!

I checked the reservoir on my break at work today and it was practically empty. Straight after work I carefully drove to the auto parts store and bought some brake fluid. Topped that sucker up and the light didn't come on the rest of the way home!

Success!

Thanks again

Fo
thegoat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
for future reference, the red brake light can also mean you have air in your lines, glad you got it resolved.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Sarenmalm
GX Member

Sarenmalm is on a distinguished road
Love this forum... I´m gonna bleed my lines now and maybe my cruisecontrol will work
Sarenmalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarenmalm View Post
Love this forum... I´m gonna bleed my lines now and maybe my cruisecontrol will work

if you have led tail lights you need an inline resistor and cruise will come back!
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
check out my car http://www.youtube.com/user/scott192
Quote:
Well I know my car is female because she was bleeding for 7 days and didnt die!
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott192 View Post
if you have led tail lights you need an inline resistor and cruise will come back!

x2. I took mine out for the winter so I would have ABS and traction control.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
scott192
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post
x2. I took mine out for the winter so I would have ABS and traction control.

didnt know it killed traction too but yea abs cruise and i guess traction all need brake light resistance lol
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
Quote:
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
the traction control would work for a few minutes then the trac off light would come on and stay on until i shut the car off. even if i tried pressing the traction control button it wouldn't work.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott192 View Post
didnt know it killed traction too but yea abs cruise and i guess traction all need brake light resistance lol

Is this for real? If so that's just stupid.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
Is this for real? If so that's just stupid.

x2.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #15
scott192
GX Member

i put in leds for every bulb in the car and then there was no cruise and no abs with the hyper flash signals lol got 7 inline 50w resistors and now i have all of the above normal again..

and back on topic when your brake light flashes or turns on make sure you check everything you could have no brakes

and another thing inline resistors seem to turn to dust with bass and leave you with no brake lights!! which comes with no warning on the dash saying your BRAKE lights arnt working!! dumb lol

/rant
Quote: