Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
thegoat54
GX Member

thegoat54 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I have the broken window clip problem.

Well I'd say that I have the broken window clip problem. My window is stuck in the UP position and I can hear the window motor whirling away inside the door when I press the buttons.

I read up on what I need to do but I have some questions.

It's a 2004 Alero. (Last year of the Olds . .. so sad)

1) How do I remove the door panel? I saw that I just pop out the 2 screws behind the door handle, and that one behind the reflector. Do I need to pop up the window switches or lock switch first? Or do I just pull off the door with all that attached?

2) If I need to buy new clips for my window, do I need to glue them to the glass? Or do they just sit in the clip and held in by gravity? There seems to be conflicting info on this.
thegoat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Once you get the screws out, just pull the panel off. You'll need to disconnect the switches to get it fully off, but it's not that hard to do. Start with the bottom of the door. There should be a little notch in the center at the bottom.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
thegoat54
GX Member

Thanks so much for that. Can anyone answer my question number 2?

If I need to buy new clips for my window, do I need to glue them to the glass? Or do they just sit in the clip and held in by gravity? There seems to be conflicting info on this.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I'm pretty sure they are glued in. My drivers window is about due for new clips... It's been popping and making noises for a while now.... I hate rolling it up and down.... lol So much, that I just go inside instead of going through drive throughs.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
thegoat54
GX Member

Thanks again! Well I'm going to open the sucker up maybe on Monday and see what I see. Hopefully I can just do the Zip Tie fix. I don't want to have to mess around with glue and epoxy. Zip ties are stronger than people give them credit for.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
nicothehut
GX Member

nicothehut is on a distinguished road
Had the same problem two years ago. Took my window out and had a glass shop take off the old clips and glue new ones on for me. They charged me for half hour labor. No warranty because I did not bring in the whole car. Windows been great ever since tho.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
thegoat54
GX Member

Good tip. If I can't do the zip tie thing I'll do this. Thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
a lot of times it in NOT the clips that get glued to the window, it is usually the other clips that attached to the window wires...
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
i had to put on new clips on mine. had the same problem. but I found that a lot of people much prefer the ziptie method. there vids on youtube (on a grandam, but the same thing) that way its lasting fix but you dont have to worry about another set of clips breaking.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
thegoat54
GX Member

Well I thought I should update this.

I found that I did have the broken clip problem and I went ahead and did the zip tie fix.

I drilled 2 holes and used 2 zipties per side. Its working great. If it ever fails I'll come back and update this thread. But I don't think the zip ties are going anywhere.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I hope you used good quality zip ties. I have had cheap Chinese ones get brittle in the cold and break on me,
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

yeah... Good heavy duty zip ties will last a long time. I might do the zip tie thing when it comes time to fix them.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Im trying to figure out if i have this problem or not.
I recently had to take off my window tint for inspection and there was all the sticky stuff left on the window. After a few days of it slowly moving up and down because the sticky stuff i think the motor may have blown.
All the other windows work except the front driver side.
When i press the button either down or up i do not here anything.
What should i check first?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Im trying to figure out if i have this problem or not.
I recently had to take off my window tint for inspection and there was all the sticky stuff left on the window. After a few days of it slowly moving up and down because the sticky stuff i think the motor may have blown.
All the other windows work except the front driver side.
When i press the button either down or up i do not here anything.
What should i check first?

Take the door panel off and pull the motor off the regulator, leave the motor plugged in and hit the switch. If the motor works fine then its something to do with the regulator. If the motor don't work check for power at the motor connector. If you have power to the motor but it don't work you got a bad motor.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
just curious how hard is it to remove the glass from the windows?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
just curious how hard is it to remove the glass from the windows?

I almost made a joke but I wont, I understood what you were saying. The fronts are cake but the rears are a real bitch.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
I almost made a joke but I wont, I understood what you were saying. The fronts are cake but the rears are a real bitch.

I thought the same thing man.... haha
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
spc2125
GLS member

so i have this off.

do i need to take the whole door panel off to see why my window wont go up and down? or is the motor on here?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Panel has to be removed to test it properly
Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
^yes. that there is just the switch. the panel needs to come off so you can see all the guts
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote