Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
Chopper_07

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a car in the next few months and have been lookin pretty hard at the Alero (probably a 99)........untill I saw the reviews on Carsurvey. Have you guys had these same problems? Everyone seems to love this car, but the reviews were kind of surprising. Currently I have a bone stock Avenger. It's bone stock because my money has went to repairs and I definently don't want another car like that.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
some people get good ones and others don't i am lucky my alero has been a damn good car. even after the mods and beating the hell out of it.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Jan 3 2006, 12:13 AM
some people get good ones and others don't i am lucky my alero has been a damn good car. even after the mods and beating the hell out of it.

ditto...closing in on 120 000miles, and still runnin strong...only thing i've been gettin nailed with is hubs, but other then that, my 2.4L is kickin ass
Old 01-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
NY.ALERO

I have a 2001 GL with the 2.4, great gas mileage about 30 on the highway. The car just made 77,000 miles, only major problem was the catalytic converter failed at 67,000 miles but was replaced under warranty.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
Quote:
Originally posted by NY.ALERO@Jan 3 2006, 01:03 PM
I have a 2001 GL with the 2.4, great gas mileage about 30 on the highway. The car just made 77,000 miles, only major problem was the catalytic converter failed at 67,000 miles but was replaced under warranty.

just 30? on a full tank i figured out i get about 35-37 on the highway, and like 25ish town..when i'm not screwin around obviously, then it drops to like 17 if that
Old 01-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
yeah my 01 2.4 is runnin like a champ... my hubs need a little tlc but so does every car's at 110,000

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
TwistedDreams
VIP

TwistedDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TwistedDreams
My 2003 3.4liter v6 Alero was bought around August of 2004 and everything seemed fine with it for about 3 weeks but then the check engine light came on a few times and then it left my father stranded on the side of the road and such problems presisted but it was under warranty so we took it to Wallace Cheverolet and havent had a single probelm with it since. Except minor problems such as The Volume and Tuner buttons on the radio fell off then there was that whole in the rug that began to form for no obvious reason so I had to get floor mats (floors mats didnt come with my alero-Go figure) but besides that notthin more to report good luck in your decision and let us know what you decide.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Chopper_07

Thanks for the input guys. I have a friend who has one and his runs like a champ at I think 90,000........well at least it did, untill a deer decided it wanted a closer look at his front bumper.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't buy an Alero for dependability.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
TwistedDreams
VIP

TwistedDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TwistedDreams
Quote:
Originally posted by Chopper_07@Jan 3 2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have a friend who has one and his runs like a champ at I think 90,000........well at least it did, untill a deer decided it wanted a closer look at his front bumper.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
nah me neither. Ive got the v6 and Ive had basic problems(normal wear and tear) and also had my LIM go twice, Belt tentioner, front brakes(warped).
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero+Jan 3 2006, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000_olds_alero @ Jan 3 2006, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by NY.ALERO@Jan 3 2006, 01:03 PM
I have a 2001 GL with the 2.4, great gas mileage about 30 on the highway.Â;-) The car just made 77,000 miles, only major problem was the catalytic converter failed at 67,000 miles but was replaced under warranty.

just 30? on a full tank i figured out i get about 35-37 on the highway, and like 25ish town..when i'm not screwin around obviously, then it drops to like 17 if that
[/b]

mine stock use to get 28 on the highway but after the first round of mods i got 32 on the highway and still getting it with round #2.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@Jan 3 2006, 10:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Oldsman
Quote:
@Jan 3 2006, 12:13 AM

ditto...closing in on 120 000miles, and still runnin strong...only thing i've been gettin nailed with is hubs, but other then that, my 2.4L is kickin ass
[/quote]

i have yet to replace my hubs.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
I have not been very impressed with my 03 at all. I bought it new, and have had lots of minor issues. I had the airbag replaced (horn button screwed up), one hub (way to common on these cars), AC compressor (due to grinding noise), brakes and rotors ( 2 times until I realized GM brakes suck. Replaced them myself 3rd time with no porblems since). some kind of bushings (due to popping noise from front) All of this was under warranty except for the last set of breaks. I really love the looks of my Alero and they way it drives, but GM lacks quality. It now has 47k on it and I plan to keep it for a few more years since I purchased a 100k warranty.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero+Jan 3 2006, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000_olds_alero @ Jan 3 2006, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-NY.ALERO@Jan 3 2006, 01:03 PM
I have a 2001 GL with the 2.4, great gas mileage about 30 on the highway.Â;-) The car just made 77,000 miles, only major problem was the catalytic converter failed at 67,000 miles but was replaced under warranty.

[/b][/quote]

It that miles or Kilos? cux that is excellent milage.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
I can go from here-to Erie, PA-back home and back to Erie on 3/4 of a tank. That kind of a trip is ~320 miles. My trick: stay up-to-date on all fluids and cruise control at under 2500rpm. (about 62mph)

As for reliability, I'd be willing to bet that the 2.4 Twin Cam is the most reliable 4-banger GM's built in the last decade (maybe more). The Ecotec's might take that spot though. Give them a couple more years for common problems to show up.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah the v6 has the dreaded lim problem. and the breaks suck they warp like butter
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I just bought my 2000 Alero GLS coupe, used obviously, and the only problems I have had with it was the rear speakers were shot and the rear defrost doesn't work.... Other than that, it runs GREAT!!!! It has a 3.4L V6... haven't had any problems with it yet, but my low tire pressure light is on now and won't go off..... My tires are fine though..... So everyone has hubs?????? as in hub caps????? I"m a little confused....
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote