Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
cheerockracy

Give me speed...please!

I'm new to the forum, but have checked it out several times before. So I've searched to threads and I don't understand car talk! :confused: If anyone could just put this in lehmen'ss terms for me I'd really appreciate it!

I have a 2004 automatic 2.2 ecotec and I want to make it faster. I would like to supercharge or put a turbo in it or something. Anything at all. I see links to other cars but I don't know what can fit in mine or anything. If anyone could help me out with a list and prices (and any mechanic in the phoenix area that would install) that'd be awesome. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 07-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
well rsmracing.com makes a supercharger for your car. They also install it (I think installation is included). only catch is they are in canada. You can try a J body (Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalt) forum, they probably no a little bit more about the ecotec than anyone on this site.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe the GM Performance parts supercharger is out for the 2.2 now. That's what I would go with if I were you. Get your dealer to install it and then reflash the computer, and you're good to go.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not in Phoenix, but I am in Sierra Vista (about 3 hours south). If you really need help, let me know.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Unfortunately GM does not have a program for the PCM in the Alero or Grand Am and the one for the J-Body won't work. So if you get the GM supercharger kit (part number 17800003) it should install fine, however you're going to have to find a way to re-flash the PCM to handle it.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
isn't there a S/C kit that comes with a PCM?

Old 07-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been leaning more toward the Paxton supercharger...
Old 07-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
cheerockracy

Thanks so much everyone! I'll check with the dealer! Anyone have an idea on price range?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I'm just guessing....but DO check at the dealer if I'm wrong, but I'd expect between $2,500 to $3,500 for a conversion. Remember, it's the same S/C they use on the cobalt SS, so it also has dealer upgrades available in addition to the base S/C kit.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:38 AM   #10
cheerockracy

So I was checking out the GM superchargers and one site, specifically: http://www.paceperformance.com/index...&ProdID=167186 said this in big bold letters about the 17800003 GM part number... This kit does not fit other GM cars that have the Ecotec engine. Programming is only available from GM for Cavalier and Sunfire models.
But some sites say it's for Cobalt. I just want to make sure it'll fit in my car. Also, if I go to the dealership to talk to someone about the Supercharger who do I talk to? The repair people or the sales people?

So sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I really appreciate everyone's help!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

talk to someone in service or parts. Salesmen have a hard enough time reading their own name tags.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #12
cheerockracy

haha, thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 AM   #13
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
you could also get a saab 9-3 turbo set-up from a wrecked saab at a junkyard, install adj fuel pressure regulator, wideband 02, then contact DHP...money talks for getting a custom tuning done, and when money talks...someone reputable will step to the plate
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #14
cheerockracy

i pretty much didn't understand any of that!! lol does that mean it'd be expensive? and are those all the parts i'd need? is it a turbo kit or an engine? thanks..
Old 07-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #15
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

whoa.....slow down, killer.

You're talking about doing mad stuff with unreliable parts. Never use a turbo out of a junk yard....bearings could be coked, etc. Suppose the wastegate is froze or has boost creep....not good.

Lets get down and dirty here for a sec. Yes, any power adder is going to be expensive, costly, and even high dollar when done properly. There's alot involved in putting together a boosted setup, and I would do extensive research into people in Pho with a solid reputation. Let me see what I can find out on the Phoenix scene that know what they're doing and get back to you on that....

Old 07-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #16
cheerockracy

thanks, i appreciate your help a lot. i checked out your thread on your car and i like it a lot! keep up the good work!
Old 07-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

eww....just thought of something.....go do a "look-up" at the dealership on whether you have a 4t40 or a 4t45 transplosion.....er...transmission. This is gonna have a massive impact on how much boost you can run.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #18
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

ok, I contacted Hahn Racecraft, who specialize in Ecotec turbo applications.

According to their site, they're advertising about 235hp (200whp) at 8psi on their kit. I am waiting for an email price quote back from them.

Keep in mind with optional modifications, you can go much higher, but your transmission will have to be upgraded, along with other things such as injectors, etc.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #19
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
yo!

you live in phoenix? what part?

I live in Maricopa, and i'm in phoenix all the time :-D

Stryder, is at Luke Air Force Base

I am in Maricopa

And BJ and a few thers are way down south in SV

Also there is one in Tuscon i belive.......

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
cheerockracy

i live in scottsdale. i'm taking pics of my car today and i'm gonna make a cardomain profile. i didn't realize so many were in az.