Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
airrazor
GX Member

airrazor is on a distinguished road
Custom exhaust and cat converter clogged, ideas?

Good morning to all, maybe not for me

I'm new here, the mods are in and things were good for about a month.
Got a custom catback exhaust w/ 2.5" pipe, universal high-flow cat (walker), and a magnaflow muffler w/ dual exhaust. The exhaust manifold stayed the same, on my 2.2L I think it's 1 3/4. I guess it was his preference due to the universal cat, so I'm not sure if its a big deal.

Point is my cat clogged (red hot!!), I was driving the car for approx. a month and the check engine light came on the day after the install. the threading on the o2 sensor was stripped because of the prior mechanic so a new one was purchased.

I ignored the check engine because of reading the higher flow might confuse the o2 sensor, at this time a tune-up was on hold until later this spring.

I do regular maintenance, replace oil every 3 mths, it passed emissions last month before the install with perfect readings. the worst I've needed in 3 years was a fuel pump that was replaced w/ a slightly used one but worked great for over a year. I do knew the computer was not reset and there were minor leaks on the welds for the muffler. (intake and dual outtake)

I'm looking to see what your opinions are, its going in today to have it checked, I cut off the cat to fix a straight pipe but there was a minor leak in the manifold where it connected to the new exhaust and I refused to drive it beyond a few minutes to get smokes. it was still losing power.

Any ideas, seriously dudes... I never had any problems w/ the car and for the entire month it sounded perfect, no damage, drove it earlier that day and went for a nap. I have no clue so I'm waiting for the mechanic to give me word, it might be a few days. Thanks for your help.

-airrazor
airrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
airrazor
GX Member

For anyone following... I just got a call saying my car sounds sluggish but nothing's been done yet. I explained the only thing I added was the cosmo intake and the o2 sensor that was stripped.

I don't get it, I had my car out for over a month. That day I went for a road test and all was good. Went for a nap... yay !! Tried to leave again around 4pm and the cat was glowing red hot. I know it sounded sluggish. I couldn't get the rev's up and the decel was terrible. I never drove it after that until I put a straight pipe on but could never get it back to normal.

He says you can see through the cat, and it shouldn't be bad. But once it heats up that much I don't feel confident using it anymore.

So what do we got here? bad spark plugs, valves, I dunno...
I passed emissions perfectly before the catback install, besides the fuel pump (1 yr ago) the car has always sounded great. Not sure what to think now... I called GM who did my emissions, Canadian Tire that did my seasonal maintenance, there was never a problem with the car and was running perfectly in their opinion, obviously they didn't check valves or anything in the engine but they did check the spark plugs and there was not a problem. All I can do is wait for the next call...

Added:

Ok !! Luckily my exhaust guy is right next to a mechanic. Unfortunately its going to cost up to $250 for a diagnostic to locate the problem and then whatever the repair costs.

I want to keep posting so anyone who reads this can maybe gain something from it. I was told that it sounds like 2/4 cylinders are firing, causing the crappy acceleration (I'd be lucky to hit 30km in 30 secs) and the rough idle/loss of power. They're gonna look at it tomorrow, at the very least I might be able to save the cat ??

Again, I dunno how this happens within a couple hours. My check engine light was on for about a month (day after the install) but I read everywhere that a custom exhaust might just throw up a code and can be ignored. I'm sticking with the Alero cause I love her, how sick is that ?!?!?! Anyone wanna comment on this?

Conclusion:

In case there's anyone interested... The mechanic explained there was a P0300 error code and the ignition module needs to be replaced, they also said it was common for this vehicle. The cat's going back on because I never drove it after it turned red and hopefully my baby can come home, either way this has been an interesting lesson, fitting the straight pipe, cutting my cat off, etc . . . IMO you're better off just getting a tow and not trying to save money. The 4 spark plugs will be replaced, they were due anyway and some other stuff is being done. I'm in Ottawa and it costed $575 all-in. Next time I move it will be within walking distance to a mechanic.

Learn something new everyday... Cheers to all !!

Last edited by airrazor : 04-27-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Back to normal, hopefully....
airrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
airrazor
GX Member

car sounds great, cleaned the fuel injectors and reset the computer... let her burn a tank of gas and got another check engine light. The catalytic converter might have some contamination but otherwise just needs to be burned out.