Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
wy3134

I just picked up the bass mekanik-sonic overload CD today and found out how poopty my system is, so im looking to upgrade. i thought about some kickers because of how good they are but idk if i like the design of em being square, anything compare to kicker L7s? im lookin to get a setup i can compete with so any advice throw it out there....i know theres lots out there but perhaps u guys can help me narrow my search to what i need instead of a lot of BS stuff.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You can never go wrong with W7s from JL dude. they pound

Bubye
Wrightie
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
yeah im with wrightie, the W7 is an impressive sub. It pounds HARD!!! heh. :thumbsup:
Old 01-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
bigd6983

yea they do.......but thats $$$ money right there lol.......i have heard most jl audio series subs and for the money i think they are the best.....the l7's hit really hard but ive heard their SQ is lacking......ive heard alpine type r's and dont like them....

id recomend the jl line.......the w6's are really nice if u dont wanna go huge with the w7's lol.......the 13 inch model is enormous.......
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
wy3134

alright that answers that question, my other question would i be better off two run two subs on two seperate amps or try to find one amp to power em both? or is that just personal preference?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
wy3134

also whats everyones opinion on audiobahn subs? ive heard mixed results on satisfaction, they have to be decent products since everything is priced so high, especially their amps....
Old 02-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

Screamin eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Screamin eagle
Just my opinion, I thought my audiobahn subs sounded horrible. I had to get rid of them after about 2 months...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #8
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wy3134@Jan 31 2005, 09:31 PM
alright that answers that question, my other question would i be better off two run two subs on two seperate amps or try to find one amp to power em both? or is that just personal preference?
I've got one 12" Audiobahn sub.. and I love it. I just looked at the site I bought it from and they have a pretty good offer on them now.. 2 for under 80 bucks. Pisses me off because that's what I paid for only ONE sub a few months ago. Click here
This is the amp I have. I'm running my sub and two Audiobahn 6x9's.. sounds pretty good. It really depends on what else you want to hook up to an amp if you would need just one or two amps and how many watts the subs are. Don't hold me to that because I'm not very educated on this subject. :P

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
wy3134

I think ive found my next sub, its the new x-series from Alpine, im looking at getting just one (3000watts max and 1000watts RMS is amazing) these seem to be dual 4 ohm voice coils, so what type of amp should i be looking for?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #10
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't link that amp right.. lol. sorry. Anyway, click on it, go to amps and click on the 4 channel amps.. mine is the MRP-F240. It should work for what you're wanting.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
AleroDownSouthGirl

I got two 10" Infinity 1030W's....they hit awesome...better than I thought. Was gonna get audiobahn, but after hearing a lot of subs that circuit city had in the sound room, it was the best pick at a good price. Have had no problem with the subs so far.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
geedog66

Quote:
Originally posted by Screamin eagle@Feb 1 2005, 05:23 AM
Just my opinion, I thought my audiobahn subs sounded horrible. I had to get rid of them after about 2 months...
hey what audio did you have that sounded horrible i can prove you wrong with that if you stick you head in my car while its beating... i can change your mind real quick about audiobahn sounding horrible... and before i upgraded the audiobahn system i had i was pushing 143.4 all day long..
Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ being loud and sounding good are completely different.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #14
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
You dont wanna be one of those cars going down the road and all you hear outside is THUMP,THUMP chances are that is all they hear and to have a truelly good sound system you need a good mix of low, mid, and high frequency sound.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS@Feb 1 2005, 08:02 PM
You dont wanna be one of those cars going down the road and all you hear outside is THUMP,THUMP chances are that is all they hear and to have a truelly good sound system you need a good mix of low, mid, and high frequency sound.
Great advice. I have heard way to many cars where the only emphasis was placed on the subwoofer. Pressing 140 means nothing if the system sounds like poop the other 90 percent of the time.
When looking for a subwoofer there are a few things to concider. Do you want a woofer that accurately reproduces the notes or are you looking for the maximum increase in sound? Typicaly, a woofer rated for 3000 watts will not sound as clean as a 800 watt woofer. A SPL woofer requires stiffer surrounds and will suffer from poorer heat dispersion. When you have determined what type of sound you want, try to pair the woofer with an apropriate amp. I try to purchase a amplifier that dispalces 20 percent (at RMS) over the peak of the woofer. This will help to ensure that you do not drive the amp at 100 percent. NOTE: Many systems that suffer from a poor sound are due to underpowering or driving the amp into distorion. After finding the sub and amp, try to get a decent box. Look for a solid construction to avoid flexing of the side panels. This will produce resonance that will color the sound of the woofer. A proper volume will be important to tune the woofer to your taste. The same woofer can sound very flat or overly boomy if improperly tuned. Good luck with your choices and let us know your pics.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
wy3134

ok guys, none of this really helped, i know the basics of building a system but dont know the brands that are good and the ones to stay away from....im looking for something that will give me a competitive SPL and still be good sounding, what id like to know is what are good brands of amps to pair with an alpine type x subwoofer rated at 3000watts max and 1000watts RMS?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #17
mikegett
GL Member

Brands don't realy matter. Try to avoid underpowering the woofer. The lower you can keep the gain of your amp the better performance you will get. Try to remember that heat is the number one enemy for woofers and amps. Distortion introduced into a woofer will creat heat and damage the cone. The same applies to the amp. If you have to max out the gain, run the amp at its lowest ohms, or drive it over the RMS rating for a extended period of time the performance will suffer. If you are expecting to drive over 1000 watts continuously then look for a class D amp. Try to remember that a sponsored vehicle will change equipment multiple times throughout the year. In many cases longevity is not a concern.
Here is a tip about spl woofers. If you truly want to compete then try to avoid placing all of your money on a 3000 watt woofer. It is more about the size of the cone and the lengh of the excursion. Find out how many 12's will fit into your car. Then go for the longest excursion you can afford. It is more about volume of air and not wattage. The alpine type x 12 inch woofer has a one way excursion peak of 3/4 of a inch. The eclipse sw712 aluminum cone has a one way max of 1.4 inches. The alpine retails for 550 dollars while the eclipse retails for around 240. Look around and you might find something better for your needs.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
Travis99Alero

i'd go with eclipse subs. my buddy has 3 15" eclipse subs, i believe the aluminum cone subs, and they not only pound, but also sound clean as hell.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #19
wy3134

ahh yes i forgot about eclipse....course finding them can be a challenge in its own
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #20
mikegett
GL Member

Just be sure to put alot of power to them. All of the metal cones (aluminum or titanium) have a faint metalic sound at low wattage. When the aluminums first came out ( I think in 97) eclipse took a 12inch and wired it directly to 120 volts AC. I have never seen a cone slam like that.