Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 AM   #1
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
Looking around trying to get some good stuff.. mobile 7500 synthetic blend? Valvoline durablend? valvoline fully synthetic? was gonna flush the systen and put in the synthetic. same with the trans.. and flush my coolent ad some royal purple or what ever it was called that helps cool the system 75% more then just the coolent.. any ideas on what weight oil i shoudl use too .. live in detroit michigan so you knver know the weather .. january and its 50 degrees out and rainy.. was thingking 5w-30.. but i never really figured out what all thats for HELP

tiger
Old 12-30-2005, 03:22 AM   #2
Chucklez05

Well for fluids, I'm partial to Royal Purpal for everything. I've use jsut about all of their products and am fairly impresed with them.

As for what weight oil I'd say stay with 5W30, the temp were I live goes from 100 in the summer to -40 in the winter. Thats what i use and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
I'm partial to mobil 1 full syn engine oil and redline tranny fluid. My dad swaers by amsoil. Pretty much any full syn will be a good oil. 5W30 should be OK unless you have lots of miles then maybe consider 10W30.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
well i'm over 100k so thats whay i'm goong full synthetic but since i bought the car used 18months ago i dot know when the trans has been checked or the coolant so i'm just gonna get every thing changed out hopefully monday even if i have to do it myself at my dads shop..
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Chucklez05

^^^ Thats not a bad idea to get it all checked out. I think that everybody is gonna have their own opinion on what fluids to use, so its pretty much up to how much money yoiu want to spend and what you have used and like.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

well the car has valvoline in it now regular 10w30 dont know about the trans but i want to put all synthetic in and new coolant.. i bought the car a t 75495miles 18months and i'm at 101500miles so time to get everythign checked and all.. just wated to really know if anyone else has or will be changing all fluids and stuff over and what they though was good or works well....

but i am thinking going with valvolin full synthetic 5w30 and trans fluid coolant geting some royal purple with new antifreze(ofcourse)
Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

ok now next question how much coolant do i need i know one gallon isnt going to be enough.. is it? i knew my vw took a little over a gallon one it was flushed and refilled......
Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whitetigerboi83@Dec 30 2005, 10:32 AM
well i'm over 100k so thats whay i'm goong full synthetic but since i bought the car used 18months ago i dot know when the trans has been checked or the coolant so i'm just gonna get every thing changed out hopefully monday even if i have to do it myself at my dads shop..
Going sysnthetic is a bad idea. Syn will find every possible little leak in a gasket, regular oil will not. Changing the tranny fluid and what not is a good idea as that would be regular maintainance.

BTW ALL tranny fluid is synthetic, even the factory stuff
Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

i found out about the trans and syn already but thanks .. still want syn in the eng.. something with a little more life to it i know there are reg oils out there like mobile that are good for 5k or 7k but i still think i can go with a syn for my eng.. even if it does leak i'd rather find out sonner then later. plus they have the royal purple i'm getting with the first 1 or 2 oil changes at 5k regular filter changes every 3-4k i should be good .. but thanks for every ones help...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Good luck. My old engine started leaking so bad when I chaged over at ~10K miles that they had to replace the cam tower gaskets, under warranty of course. Remember to check the level freq. if it does start leaking. With fewer changes and leaking its deffinetly something to keep an eye on. Just my $.02
Old 01-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

well after carefull consideration and finally finding out it gonna take 7-8 qts of trans fluid to refill my trans at 11. bucks a qt i wont be able to do that this year yet till i get taxes back ... but i have my royal purple oil and have yet to find the royal purple radiator additive.. but at $12 for 16oz i should be fine if i can find it around here