Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Guitar_B
GX Member

Guitar_B is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Bang for your Buck

Alright guys... I have your basic Alero Coupe completely STOCK... about 108*** KM's on it... So she still has some Balls... Its standard and im the second owner (First owner was a woman who now has a family...) Its 2003, 2.2 Eco (Ill put some pictures up when i can find my dame Camera Cord)

The question is... what can I do to my car (As a single mod) to get the biggest bang for my buck...

Spark Plugs and cables?
http://www.andysautosport.com/oldsmo...k_plugs/apexi/

Intake?
http://www.doctorspeed.com/alero/alero-intakes.html

ECU?
http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/Surge...ce_Chip/17558/

I see thoughs being the cheapest performance mods possible... Please let me know what you think would be the biggest bang for my buck... Or if you know something that would be better
Guitar_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
avoid drspeed. get one from ebay instead. same thing SO much cheaper.

We don't have ECU's we have a PCM. (or VCM for ion's sake) i wouldn't invest in that until you have more performance mods done.

plugs and cables don't do much, unless your current ones are shot.

out of what you posted, intake is best.

followed by exhaust and some header upgrade. there are TONS of 2.2 guys on here, so search and you'll find a plethora of upgrades available.

also check ion's signature, the aleromod.com upgrades page.... get some ideas there
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
ECU, PCM, VCM...they all refer to the same thing, people just call them different things. There is no chip that will plug in to our ECU's to make more power. The only way is to buy HPTuners for $500-$650 and hit the dyno to tune for the best power.

Like Cherry said, spark plugs won't do anything for power unless what you have now are shot.... and there's no plug wires on Eco's.

An intake won't give you an amazing power increase, but you'll notice some better throttle response and it'll sound cool.

A header and full exhaust with a high flow cat would be the best way to free up some power without opening up the engine for some cams or anything like that.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Spilner's right.

And ha, 67,000 miles... mine's got 190,000 and boosted.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Guitar_B
GX Member

Another question... The intake... ive seen people take out the filter box and just slap an intake cone on there... willl that work the same way or do i actually need the chrome tube/pipe thing for the real results
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
The thing is, the tubing relocates the filter to somewhere where there is colder air. Colder air= more power. If you just take out the box and replace it with a filter, you will be getting warmer engine compartment air, which wont provide you with as much power. Also the aftermarket tubing is smooth compared to the oem tubing which may cause some turbulence in the air it brings in, thus you will lose some flow.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Guitar_B
GX Member

Is there anyways I could use a Cold Air intake for a V6 alero? or would it not fit... and if so.. do you guys know any cars that has a similar design so i could search (For example) Cavalier Cold Air Intake...?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if you can use one from a V6 Alero. I don't really see why you'd want to do that though. The cavalier CAI, I have heard does work on aleros.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
its more of an engine thing, rather then a body type thing. Cav 2.2 = alero 2.2

the v6 one won't work. its not the right angles.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_B View Post
Is there anyways I could use a Cold Air intake for a V6 alero? or would it not fit... and if so.. do you guys know any cars that has a similar design so i could search (For example) Cavalier Cold Air Intake...?

Ecotec WAI + 3.4 CAI?

... I know people have done this with the 2.4L. I think it should work similar based on the pipe routing for the ecotec.

maybe someone else can confirm this.

Last edited by Alero_1986 : 11-16-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
of course that works

i have all the info for the 2.4L at least on Aleromod Upgrades, all items are similar to the Eco
Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
the ecotec does not have spark plug wires, ignition module, and coil packs, and a boot, no wires
on mine i have a 62mm throttle body, rk sport warm air intake, rk sport header into factory cat, after cat 2.5 pipe into magnaflow muffler,

i had nothing but problem when i had a high flow cat, burnt 02 sensor after another, put factory cat back on replaced 02 sensors no problems since, car sounds great, decent amount of power, cant complain

you want allot of info on the ecotec check out j-body.org
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_B View Post

LOL $19 per sparkplug what the eff?

Pick up some NGK TR55s and call it a day. It'll cost you like $8 total.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
nitrous.....
Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
if you get an ebay (chromeintakes) WAI (they just call it an intake) and a CAI for the V6 you can connect em for the ecotec. or just get an aem. i think the cavalier CAI will fit, but you better check w/someone who's done it, i dunno.

my intake doesn't really add too much for the sound, what's it supposed to sound like?

i thought this thread was about something else.

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
I know cosmo racing has a wai specifically for the 2.2L Alero the price I saw was about $96 US, if you can trust them is another question, I've never dealt with them so I have no clue. but once I find out if they are reliable I will likely get one for my car.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHeLlRaZoR View Post
I know cosmo racing has a wai specifically for the 2.2L Alero the price I saw was about $96 US, if you can trust them is another question, I've never dealt with them so I have no clue. but once I find out if they are reliable I will likely get one for my car.

I ordered the 2.4L WAI, and the short shifter with the weighted shift knob from cosmo.

They shipped quick, and the products are as advertised. There are at least a couple others users who have had pleasant experiences with them as well.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #18
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
LOL $19 per sparkplug what the eff?

Pick up some NGK TR55s and call it a day. It'll cost you like $8 total.

35 if you try to get Ion to ship em to canada. Hahaha
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
cosmo intakes are fine i got mine for like 108 shipped, and u can get a v6 cold air and hitch it up to where the 2.2 ends right behind the battery, its where the throttle body for the v6 is so instead of puttin a cone filter just continue piping, i havent done it yet but i plan to very soon
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero_1986 View Post
I ordered the 2.4L WAI, and the short shifter with the weighted shift knob from cosmo.

They shipped quick, and the products are as advertised. There are at least a couple others users who have had pleasant experiences with them as well.

good to hear that, well I know what's next for my car.