Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 06-26-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the other night im headding home from my gf's place, (Abby, for those of you that know BC) and im on the highway doin a limiter cruse, as i do sometimes (its like 12:30 or 1 am) and i passed a group of cars... and closer to Chilliwack (The next town) i see that this black sprint (2door hatch) that i passed is gaining on me... at this point i had slowed down to about 140kph... i wasnt about to let a sprint blow by me... but when he passed me at 190+kph i realized it was my buddys, suzuki swift, with a 1.8L integra motor non vtec, head, cams are done, full suspention and brakes redone, and 10 psi of boost...
He has pulled a best of 13.1 at about 110mph in the quarter... but with slicks he hopes for 12's....

So back to the situation at hand.. i realized how slow the aler-hoe really is, and this event has given me the motovation to develop the 2.2 Ecotec that i have... to some of its true potential.
Who has accually Boosted the Ecotec? weither it be J or N body's....
I did some looking and Google'n and it wasnt verry productive...
I know that all the parts are out and on the shelf, and that Hann/exploited/ and a few others have kits out for the ecotec.. that have been quite well recieved.
more what i am interested in is anyone have any ideas as to How well the ecotec handles boost? or how long the boosted eco's have lasted on stock internals...
Im assuming that with the release of both an sabb (i beleave maybe it was opel...) turbo eco, and the new cobalt with the 2.4 S/c the internals must be up to par, or have they upgraded them factory?
I know that all the parts are there, Rods, pistons, cranks, etc....

It would be nice to have a 250-300Horse eco...
So i was thinking rods, pistons B&B bottem end, p&p head with SS valves, cams, new intake manni, Turbo 15-18 psi, and a fuel system to support it...
I would like some ideas, and approximit costs, because i dont want to be the only one, we should all have boosted eco's

Cus 140hp is some Bullpoop.

I am seriously interested in this... i figure 10-20 grand total, with everything... to finish my car and i should be able to get those funds in a year. Just want to do my homework...

Anyone?

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
if i could afford it i'd go with it, i love my 3.4 but sometimes i wish i had the eco...
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
get the new HCI mag. it has about 260hp S/C ecotec and the hahns turbo setup, along with other ecotec stuff
Old 06-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Yea... i have been really impressed with this motor for what it is... the torque for a 4banger is impressive (It lugs!!) lol

But it just aint keepin me happy... either i have to do some sort of forced induction fairly soon.. or maybe finish my Grand am... lol

Old 06-27-2004, 01:39 AM   #5
wy3134

The smartest buy I ever made, a 4 banger over a v6, as I seem to have an easier time comin up with stuff for the ecotec engine....I am slowly looking into a future boost project on my ecotec, havent done much lately cause its now just sorting valuable info from the pointless stuff....not doin anything till my warranty runs out at 100,000 miles, cant afford to do any moddin and then lose the warranty where it costs only $100 to have anything repaired, but my early pricing has put a price around 10,000$ USD getting a turbo kit through hahn and then a few engine upgrades, give or take, but im still looking for cheaper routes, just been through the main stuff so far....its a long project because it also will require finding someone who can do a custom tune........good luck and I will be willing to share info I come across if the same will be done by others :thumbsup:
Old 06-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Jun 27 2004, 04:02 AM
get the new HCI mag. it has about 260hp S/C ecotec and the hahns turbo setup, along with other ecotec stuff
HCI what mag is that?
Is it avalible here in canaduh?

Old 06-28-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
havik

Rather than restate what's been said before, here are some threads:
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=1660
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=2544
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=2231

Other than that, I'm in the same boat as wy3134. I've been looking around here and there a little. A book that has helped me is Corky Bell's Maximum Boost.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have pics of your buddy's Swift? I have a Swift/Metro hybrid and would love to see how he fit a 1.8L out of an Integra into it. I have the DOHC 1.3L motor in mine and there is no room to move around under the hood. I'm just curious to see how it looks.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BLK03GXS+Jun 27 2004, 12:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLK03GXS @ Jun 27 2004, 12:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Oldsman@Jun 27 2004, 04:02 AM
HCI what mag is that?
Is it avalible here in canaduh? [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I was reading it last night! I am getting boost next summer once I am off warranty........not sure what I will do though
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #10
BLK03GXS
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Jun 28 2004, 05:55 PM
Do you have pics of your buddy's Swift? I have a Swift/Metro hybrid and would love to see how he fit a 1.8L out of an Integra into it. I have the DOHC 1.3L motor in mine and there is no room to move around under the hood. I'm just curious to see how it looks.
No pics...
But i have seen under the hood, and its a squeeze he has a FMIC, and the turbo is just behind the grill... the front cam cover is about 3-5 inches from the front brace in the engine compartment....
i know you may not want to talk about it agen havik... but ive seen all those threads they dont really awnser my questions.
other than springs and s/c alero (and they have the 3.4) and that one guy that blew his boosted 2.4...
Who has boosted there alero's and anyone done that to the eco? And has #'s to show us other than hann racecraft?
Because i would love to boost my alero.. but i dont want to jump to boost and blow my stock internals because some one said it "should" be ok...
Im curious to see who has run what boost levels, for what periods of time, and had what effects it has had on the motor...
I dont want to jump on the bandwagon and assume, or beleave blindly that my stock internals will support 10 psi, and have to pay for it down the road...
I would rather save the cash and do the internals b4 i boost... but maybe im just crazy.....

Old 07-01-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
wy3134

actually your not crazy, thats what im doin, upgrading internals and all the parts necessary to handle the boost, which i am saving for this project for the next 53,000 miles when i can do something to the car (extended warranty isnt worth voiding until it expires), remember if you plan to run more than just 8psi or whatever the basic kits come at, your also gonna have to upgrade the tranny cause its good to about 300 hp and then its gonna give, thats valid info from springsfastestalero, who has done a lot to his car, although his is a 3.4, its still the same tranny, and also there are lots of other things that have to be upgraded just to support a decent amount of boost, it takes time to do it right, like you said, unless you want an engine blown within a month......what sucks too is I have found that different kits will require different types of upgrades so it might be handy to have a favorite kit in mind before you upgrade other things, otherwise some stuff might not compat.....i could go on and on about this but this is enough for now....keep the updates and info coming! keep moddin! :thumbsup:
Old 07-01-2004, 09:09 PM   #12
wy3134

I have had trouble finding info on one upgrade, Ive heard and read of special NOS kits for turbo apps that shoot at low RPMs till the turbo kicks in....but havent found anyone who sells these....I have a feeling its something thats done w/ NOS kit manufacturers, but still researching, any thoughts on this?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
BLK03GXS
GLS member

maybe you should back the train up... lol
Springs has the same tranny as me?
not unless he has the Getrag 5spd....
I know that other things like the clutch, lsd, stronger internals, drive axles......

Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #14
wy3134

perhaps we could start a semi-detailed list of what needs to be upgraded for a turbo, for reference and so nobody overlooks something and blows an engine in the process....
Old 07-08-2004, 01:26 AM   #15
BLK03GXS
GLS member

OK
Pistons
Rods
P&P head
Cams
Fuel system
and other assorted junk... like turbotimers, FMIC, Exhaust, Upgraded Oiling systems...
Maybe a destroked crank, reinforced bottem end, neutral balance shafts.

theres allways more...

And then for the powertrain you have the clutch, flywheel, tranny rebuild, drive axles, berrings etc....