Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
Engine Rebuild

So this year I will have to remove the engine to get the transmission out (needs replaced in the next 10-20k miles) It occurred to me that I might as well do some engine work while I'm at it and try to get to that 200 HP mark I'm aiming for.

First off before I say anything should I just say screw that and use the money to boost?

I was thinking eagle connecting rods, 2.3 cam swap, new timing chain, pace setter header (custom exhaust (built by me), under drive pully (crank), Clevite77 bearings, poly engine/tanny mounts, Fel Pro, cometic head gasket, ARP studs.

Some of this probably isn;t worht my time (which is why i didnt do pistons) as I won't be boosting.

My basic goal is more HP, no machining, and under $1500.

So do this? boost? just want some opinions.
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
sounds like a solid all motor build and it sounds like you've done your research, props to you... i say ditch the interior idea and start on a solid build
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
only thing building the engine is going to do is make it more sturdy so it can handle lots of boost...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Ttop191
GLS member

well he will see some improved power with the secret cams, and if he's really serious about it, this would be a really good start
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
sounds like a solid all motor build and it sounds like you've done your research, props to you... i say ditch the interior idea and start on a solid build

Yes. I thoroughly abused the search button. No more noob moves lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
only thing building the engine is going to do is make it more sturdy so it can handle lots of boost...
So...I should save $3000 and do boost instead. Which is another question? is all this do able for about $1000? and if I did this and boost I would literally have more money in the engine than the cars actually worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
well he will see some improved power with the secret cams, and if he's really serious about it, this would be a really good start
That's what I was thinking. Do all the serious engine work at once when I have it out and then later on start adding more HP. So with this build alone (with CAI) I can expect to see about 180HP?
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
So...I should save $3000 and do boost instead. Which is another question? is all this do able for about $1000? and if I did this and boost I would literally have more money in the engine than the cars actually worth.
The car's value on the market might be low, but if it's not valuable to you, forget about spending money on mods. People who invest in turbo kits, keep their cars for a while, appreciate the work they have done, and make a use out of it. There is no point to put 2-3k into performance upgrades, and sell the car within few months. If you do all that work, good for you. But at least keep the car and enjoy it.
Remember you do it for yourself, not for the resale value, right
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
the_weber
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
The car's value on the market might be low, but if it's not valuable to you, forget about spending money on mods. People who invest in turbo kits, keep their cars for a while, appreciate the work they have done, and make a use out of it. There is no point to put 2-3k into performance upgrades, and sell the car within few months. If you do all that work, good for you. But at least keep the car and enjoy it.
Remember you do it for yourself, not for the resale value, right

very good point and thats how my jeep was (before i rolled it) and thats how this car should be. +rep
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Ttop191
GLS member

i know spyhunter has done a lot of research on the "secret cams" might want to shoot him a pm he might have some numbers for you
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
the_weber
GL Member

Will do, thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i don't see the problem, I probably have 3-5 times the value of my car in mods......
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
mfuller

If not boosting, forget the connecting rods, ARP studs and Cometic gasket, but do a port-and-polish on the head to complement the cams. You might need stronger valve springs also.