Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
cliffordwoeller
You got beat by an Alero!

cliffordwoeller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
What now ?

ok so after replacing my parking brake lever in my car, i had too much slack in the cable line, So I adjusted my e brakes, but didnt do anything to remove the slack from the line, so I had richie,(aftermathalero) take a look at it and after he couldnt figure it out either I am now coming to you guys,.

So inorder to get my ebrake to work, whats my next step ?I don't really need the ebrake to work but I like for all my things to work on my girl.
Should I try replacing the cables ? Richie and I both was like what the heck... the cable coming from the lever inside the car to where it splits underneath is too long, but the funny thing is that that cable is the same for when the ebrake was working .... so I am kinad lost as what to do.
cliffordwoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
fielder87
GX Member

fielder87 is on a distinguished road
even after cable is attached to e-brake leaver? and back brakes,and adjuster is adjusted you still got slack?did you stretch the cable?
fielder87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
cliffordwoeller

Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
i dont think i stretched it and if I did I dont know how I did that, but yeah we adjusted the screw at the rear wheels and was still unable to get the ebrake to work, Richie said to exchange the part, but I don't see what good thats gonna do, so should I just replace my lines ?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
cliffordwoeller

Bump....
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
cliffordwoeller

hmmm Bump bump ..... any help ?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
cliffordwoeller

hmmm how is it you can get comments on threads that are pointless and not about aleros, but when you need assistance for something like this no one really comments?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Maybe because nobody has any experience with your issue?

Is the cable loose in the back?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordwoeller View Post
hmmm how is it you can get comments on threads that are pointless and not about aleros, but when you need assistance for something like this no one really comments?

i agree with you on the pointless threads thing.....but this is a weird issue and if richie couldnt figure it out.....good luck finding someone on here who can. Sorry i cant help you out bud......hope you find your problem! good luck
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know, did you try bleeding the brakes? Yesterday I got mine fixed (needed to pass the inspection). What the mechanic did was adjust the cable, bleed the brakes, and clean them. I have rear drums though, so I dont know if this applies to you. Also did you check the brake pad? My mechanic said he has seen cases in which brake pad seperates (metal part, from braking part). Theres my two cents hope that helps
Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
cliffordwoeller

well everything seems to be fine minus the cable to the ebrake ....its like its too long and needs to be shorten to be effective, and looking at it from under the car it is loose until it splits to each wheel and then its like norm
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
do ou have drums or discs in the back?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcllw View Post
do ou have drums or discs in the back?

If you REALLY wanted to get picky, regarding the emergency brake (and ONLY the emergency brake) it is always drums.

P.S. I DO know what you mean though.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
cliffordwoeller

I have disc brakes... I am to the point where I just wanna say eff it and just replace the whole ebrake system
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
how is there a drum, when there are two disc brakes..... im confused now
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
how is there a drum, when there are two disc brakes..... im confused now

The rear disc has internal drums with brake shoes to operate the parking brake.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alero_1986 View Post
The rear disc has internal drums with brake shoes to operate the parking brake.

thats wierd......
Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
If everything has been installed correctly the first place to check would be the adjustment for the rear brake shoes. If this doesn't work, you may need to replace any stretched cables.

Are the brakes grabbing at all when the lever is applied? If they are grabbing, is there a chance that the spring that retracts the cable has broken, or become caught up?

Last edited by Alero_1986 : 03-19-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
it is grabbing when u pull it. But the cable is long. Maybe the new ebrake lever you got has an adjustment for the cable. Cuz you said before u changed it out, it was working fine. and now they dont work w/ the new lever.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
cliffordwoeller

well on a side note richie I think I am gonna have to take that bumper off cause its breaking more, and I am scared its gonna break while I am driving, and be dragging it with no way to fix it,at this point I am sooooo frustrated with my sister.And with that bumper , to the point where I dunno if I want to stick with it at this point, thought about just going back to stock and later on down the road when I have the money to do everything right, then add the kit I want.