Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Pukeing coolant

Very little but it is.

Don't know what it is but the coolant is comming out of the overflow tube on the bottle.

Thermostat is good, new cap on the bottle, and the oil is clean and right at the "full" line (it was changed today and it's clean) It pressure tested well, held 15 psi no problem.

What's the problem?!?!?!?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
domscox
GX Member

domscox is on a distinguished road
I had that happen on a Dodge when I blew a head gaskit.
domscox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Raziel
GX Member

Raziel is on a distinguished road
This is exactly whats happening to me, the one thing that I did find, is that the coolant is coming out of the overflow hose after turning off the car, not while it is running. I would also like to know what is happening.

Raz
Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if they call that tube an overflow tube for a reason?
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Malibu369258
GL Member

Malibu369258 is on a distinguished road
When is the last time you added coolant?
Malibu369258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Raziel
GX Member

Raziel is on a distinguished road
From what I remember, the coolant is forced threw the engine by the water pump while the vehicle is running(duh I know). Upon turning the vehicle off the coolant expands from being hot and has no where to go but back to the surge tank and if over filled will come out the overflow hose.

Now my question here is, could it be air in the system?, or something causing a back pressure effect?.

Raz
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ken, didn't you have air in your system before... that you successfully purged?

sounds like your head gaskets are leaking...
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It happened to me a long long time ago when the car was basically stock. Totally random, and never, ever happened again. I believe it occurred when the cap was loose.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
ken, didn't you have air in your system before... that you successfully purged?

sounds like your head gaskets are leaking...

my car vomited coolant when this happened.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the head gasket. I have no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and nothing is comming out of the exhaust.

If it was a head gasket, the car would overheat, or try to

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
ken, you should know by now to take my motor diagnositic posts with a grain of salt.

its odd that your having air issues, and this though
Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
When my head gasket went I had no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil.
It makes sense now that I had nothing coming out of the tail pipe till the gasket was really bad, there is more push then there is suck.

Try bleeding the air out again, if the air never stops you have a problem somewhere. If you feel the need get a better bleeder from auto zone, one that bleeds from the top and can put a small hose into so you can see the air coming out. After I changed my head gasket it took maybe 2 minutes to bleed the air out.
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Ken, unscrew the cap, put a tiny bit of veggie oil around the threads, then screw it back on. I had the same problem. Every time, it turned out the plastic was slightly mis-threaded, and although the cap felt fully tightened, it wasn't seated all the way, and the seal was leaking. Hope that helped.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Redog
Aleromod part owner

^^ You know that's exactly what I was thinking.

I bled the system for air and guess what, no air and the coolant was a nice color (well for coolant, it looked like piss)

This all started happening when I got the new coolant bottle. I was going to use teflon tape, I don't have any veggie oil. Is teflon tape just as good for this?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Ken, you can use just about what ever you want. Idea is to lube the threads so that they don't mis-thread, not so much as to seal the thread.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah the stupid factory overflow tank threads are always effed up on mine. My old cap broke into pieces, and always is hard to thread on. I put a new one on, also hard to thread on, and then it broke into two pieces. I tested out a new reservoir and cap combo at Autozone, and it also threads together roughly. Stupid plastic threads.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
i have gone through 2 caps the tops keep on breaking off.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

i noticed mine are rather chewed up. makes me wonder if there is a possible way to fix that.

some kind of epoxy or something... make new decent threads
Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
How tight are those O-rings on the can fitting into the over flow tank? Can you pressure test the over flow tank, not just the cap?
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote