Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Trouble Starting

Ok, you sit in your Alero and get ready to start it. It was running maybe 15 minutes ago and fine all day. As you turn the key all you hear is the engine turning very quickly buy it won't turn over. Sometimes it will start while doing this and cut right off. What do you think is wrong?

Sorry to post like this guys. My cars been doing this on and off. Like 9 times out of 10 it starts just fine. I'm pretty certain its not passlock, no security lights are on and it is doing everything else(unlike an passlock youtube video I've watched).

Most the time I do hear the fuel pump cut on. Some things that seem to help is turning the key back and forth about 5 times and stomping the pedal while turning the key. Sometimes it remedy's it after a couple trys. Some times i check the battery its at 11.9 volts so i say eff it put the charger on and the car starts later.

The only thing that sounds remotely similar to passlock to me is after waiting it sometimes starts up for me. But I'm hearing the starter fire rapidly when i turn the key.

Ive taken the car to a shop, after a 150 dollars they claimed to have fixed my car. Truth is from what i can tell they didnt do jackshit, they tried the 8 times it started good and when i got it back it wouldn't start. Now ive taken the car back, it was there over Christmas, and he's claiming its the passlock sensor and the whole unit needs to be replaced. 170 for the part. Im thinking that's total bullshit too because i haven't seen the security light on once and the starter seems to be working.
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
I've seen this issue in another article recently, trying to find now....

Nevermind, that one was you asking for help too. When you're doing this is the engine turning, or is it just the starter? have someone watch the serpentine belt while you do this, I'm thinking starter gear might not be engaging all the time.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

will do tomorrow and will try to get a video up of it, but knowing my luck itll run fine tomorrow

how ever my pop feels sure it is, but well check
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

<object width="238" height="176" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150098680416025" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150098680416025" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="238" height="176"></embed></object>

if that code dont work heres the link http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50098680416025
i got a video up
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroDrime View Post
all you hear is the engine turning very quickly but it won't turn over
Contradictory. Engine is turning but not turning over...?

Don't ever say "turn over" as a replacement for "start." Personal peeve. The engine is rotating, it's just not combusting and running on its own.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

any idea on what is going on , its doesnt do this all the time and i think like down the road it did that again but started second try.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
As I said before, I think the starter solenoid is bad, and when it does the fast turning but the engine doesn't start the starter isn't engaging. It's something to check at least.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Mine did something like that awhile back. If it has a hard time starting like very slow turn over then it would be the battery
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Check the fuel pressure regulator? (3400?)
I think if the FPR is failing the car would have a hard time starting due to a flooded condition only if you say let the car sit for a while (few hours) and then go to start it again?

I could be wrong though; someone chime in?
Mike The Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

mines the 2.2 ecotec, but yall tell me how i can check these if u can, umm as u she there shell start, that time she was doing something new, while the key was turned the car was running in the start position but would cut off when i let go,
i have no idea what is wrong with this car
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Mine did something like that awhile back. If it has a hard time starting like very slow turn over then it would be the battery

battery seems to always be at like 11.9 volts by the time i quit to check it, how ever if someone has a set, jumping it seems to help, idk its weird
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #12
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
contrary to popular belief 12v is not the true potential of a battery, a fully charged bat should be reading right around 12.6v, at 12.0v the battery is at 50% of it's potential. so what i would do is charge it up and do a load test, but sounds to me like you've got a bad bat.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

its a red top dry cell n it seems to test fine