Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
krickl
GX Member

krickl is on a distinguished road
Serious question (manifold)

ok well i got my car back frmo the shop with some bad news the machanic said i need a new Manifold because the anti _freeze is leaking. ive dumped over 5 grand into repairs since i got it for free from my aunt is it better to just get a more reliable car?
krickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
its the LIMG i'll bet ya, the 3400's aer know for it but the new one they put in is a updated gasket. And wasn't los of that repair money your own fault by crankin the wheel sideways goin fast, resulting in your display pic? usually if the cars are taken care of they will last just fine. the only time mine left me stranded is when i ran out of gas b\c of the bad sender unit
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
well, you have to remember that some of the problems you've had were self-made, like driving into curbs. but yes, our cars are known for leaking intake manifolds. are you sure your mechanic is pricing things fairly?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd get a better car
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
krickl
GX Member

well he wants over a grand for the permanent fix i drive to school and work and my girlfriends house, but yea its the 3400 you think me hitting the curb really did all this? and the repair was free in the end aunts and uncles chipped in. if i were to get a new car (used) i like used cars idk why but iw as thinking an impala any objections?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
It shouldnt cost much more than $500 at a shop to do a LIMG.

If you got a brain, torque wrench and some basic tools you can do it yourself for under $120.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
No hitting the curb did not do this. And it's not the car's fault that you beat the balls off of it

$1 grand to fix this if you need a new lower manifold is not that bad of a price. Of course you could upgrade both manifolds for the same price as a new one from GM.

Plus which manifold is he going to get? I'm guess a 2003 mani, which is the best of the 3 that are out there. The 1999 is the worst, the 2000 is just 1/4 step down from the 2003 manifold. The last 2 numbers of the manifold year are on the top of the lower, just infront of the throttle body.

Probably what happened, the antifreeze was leaking out for so long that it warped the manifold too bad to continue use. The mani's are only alunium which doesn't take too well to overheating

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
krickl
GX Member

haha my sisters boyfriend and my girlfriends brother know a ton about cars im going to ask them if they could fix it ill keep you updated.

it drives fine i dont notice anything i jus got home from driving it. or would i not notice the manifold damage while driving?

and redog i didnt beat it up ! ive had it for like less than 4000 miles everythings crapping at once granted curb didnt help. but while its getting fixed and all that i need a solid car would a Chevy Impala suit this need?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
The last 2 numbers of the manifold year are on the top of the lower, just infront of the throttle body.

wait a minute.. you can tell what year your manifold is by these numbers? can you provide a picture or be more specific as to where these numbers can be found?

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by krickl View Post
haha my sisters boyfriend and my girlfriends brother know a ton about cars im going to ask them if they could fix it ill keep you updated.

it drives fine i dont notice anything i jus got home from driving it. or would i not notice the manifold damage while driving?

and redog i didnt beat it up ! ive had it for like less than 4000 miles everythings crapping at once granted curb didnt help. but while its getting fixed and all that i need a solid car would a Chevy Impala suit this need?

No, no and no. i sell a ton of parts for impalas where i work
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
krickl
GX Member

ok thanks then was going to get one ><

anyone got suggestions? for a well built car that i can find at a good 5-10 grand price range anyhelp would be awesome =D
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
wait a minute.. you can tell what year your manifold is by these numbers? can you provide a picture or be more specific as to where these numbers can be found?

Top left and bottom right . The 00 means its a 2000.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
Midgear
on vacation

^^^ ......

now I can truely tell if my engine is from 03' or not.. I know the car is a 99' - but the previous owner destroyed the last engine. woot! thanks for providing this information.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by krickl View Post
ok thanks then was going to get one ><

anyone got suggestions? for a well built car that i can find at a good 5-10 grand price range anyhelp would be awesome =D

Do some research yourself. This is an alero site.....we help people with their problems or watch what people do to theirs. You want us to give suggestions on a new car cause you keep getting f'ed over by your mechanic? Go look for someone who will be fair and knows what they are doing. There is NO reason you should have to put 5k into this car and it still has problems. Use your head.....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
5 grand over how long? It might just be that you've almost fixed the vast majority of its probs already. The 3.4 is also known for the manifold gasket, and repair compensation may be available if your car's engine was included in the lawsuit settlement.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
Midgear
on vacation

^^ Provided he hasnt gone over the required mileage?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
^^^ ......

now I can truely tell if my engine is from 03' or not.. I know the car is a 99' - but the previous owner destroyed the last engine. woot! thanks for providing this information.

Or just the mani was replace with an 03?

I was looking at a Olds minivan (I can't spell it) over the summer and I almost bought it.

It was an 02 and had an 03 mani in it, and a sloppy RTV job between the head and mani

Not that's it a big deal, but I figured that is was a soccer mom and drove it with the leak (could fanitly see the trail on the head) and she didn't know about the leak, and still drove it while the engine was smoking, so I walked away

That's why you have to be extra careful about buying a used minivan and some SUVs As long as mom pushed the gas pedal and it goes, the van/SUV is fine, that SES light will just go away

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
silhouette

Since the car was free from your aunt i think dumping a couple grand into it is better then getting a used car. You never know what that other used car has been through, at least with this alero you can ask your aunt.
Buying a used car = buying some other persons problems......

I have had the gaskets replaced on mine at least twice, and mine is a 99. I never had any warpage or damage to the actual manifolds. Knock on wood my engine has held up to quite a bit, and now it sits at my townhouse gathering cobwebs. I hope the engine doesnt corrode to nothing, lol

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

^^ I was thinking the same exact thing.

You got a free car with a few minor problems.

For $5K and you are looking at an Impala. You do realize that there were 2 engines ava in those, and one of them is the same exact engine you have in your Alero

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
well if he keeps the alero, he can part the 2 3400's together to get a half decent engine, lmao

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote