Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
bringeroftruth

Need Some Help

Well when i started working on the alero 3400 i was just doing minor modifications ya know nothing even worth noticing, new pedals, new shifter and such, but now i started getting into the whole more HP, faster, go go go aspect of the car. I just got done putting in a cold air intake and am very pleased with it, made it sound like it had balls and runs a hell of alot faster, but Ive been looking at some performance chips and my uncle who is a mechanic tells me that these do work, but you never really know how much of a HP gain you will get, I was wandering has n e one on here bought or installed one in there alero and was it effective enough to notice the difference, i was looking around and found some that only generate up to 25 HP and some that start at 25 and generate up to 48 HP just was wandering and if any one could tell me any other low costing (meaning under the 400 range) way of increasing speed and HP could you tell me and maybe possibly where I could get it. Thanx alot and i also wanted to say that this forum has helped me ALOT with all this.

P.S> I really started to want to add more HP when the other day I ford taurus was actually catching up to ( he didnt and lost 3 times but he was putting up a fight) just thought id share.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
performance "chips" aren't that great. Tricks your car's computer into thinking it needs more fuel when it really doesn't. Most you'll gain out of it is a higher fuel consumption and that psychological feel of "I put this chip in, so it must be faster". Save your money for real mods like underdrive pulley and such, will actually give you more power.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
burg03

The only reason I have dhp pcm is so that I can go past 105mph when I feel the need
Old 09-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
dhp picks up a few horses, the shift point changes are the reason most people get it. Also you see more power from it after more mods b ut nowhere near 25 horse.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
let your engine breath better 1st...compliment that CAI with headers and exhaust (possibly a high flow cat)

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
^ or you can go really sleeper (to the point where some mechanics wouldn't notice) by getting OEM-size lightweight pullies and flywheel. Reducing rotational mass frees up some power.

I don't even know if the 3400 has a flywheel, but the 2.4 does....
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
3400 tranny has a flex plate.

for $400 you could get a DHP PowrTuner and tune your own PCM.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

_01Alero_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by burg03 View Post
The only reason I have dhp pcm is so that I can go past 105mph when I feel the need

But does the dhp pcm really help you get over 105? I had my car up to 113 on Saturday and I don't have anything done to my engine. The post just didn't make sense to me, sorry if this post seems like I'm being an a$$....
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
NjRef511

Limiter is @ 110. And yeah, you generally won't get much faster then that. To go faster, you need a new PCM.

@the topic starter: Go with headers, exhaust. Let her breathe.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
BlackJack's "Useless Trivia of the Day" .....reason people claim different numbers for top speed is the factory sets top speed at a high threshold of 106 and a low threshold of 103, so it can occur anywhere in between for injector disable. If you're under acceleration, then you'll probably hit 107 or a little more before you notice that the engine is being cut back. :P

And remember, Chuck Norris doesn't tea-bag the ladies......he potato sacks em.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
LMAO @ the out-of-nowhere CN joke.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote