Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Car wouldn't stay on, and then did???

Hey everyone. Today, I went on a quick errand to a store. When I got out, the car would not stay on. It would turn on, but then would immediately shut down. I stayed messing there for like 5 minutes, until it finally stayed on. I then went home, shut the car off, and turned it on again. It acted normal again. Anyone know what it could be? The security light wasn't flashing.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Valley olds
GLS member

Well, tomorrow Im changing the fuel filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Hopefully itll be either the plugs or fuel filter.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
The only experience i ever had with anything like this was my buddy stuck a turbonator (i know) in his car, and stuck it right before the tb, so it would slide down and contact, causing the car to shut off. Outside of that, i have no idea. But your POA sounds logical. My guess would be something in the electrical if that fails.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Happened to mine when the alternator took a crap.

Drove the car for about 10 miles all on battery

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
Bad99Olds: The only experience i ever had with anything like this was my buddy stuck a turbonator (i know) in his car, and stuck it right before the tb, so it would slide down and contact, causing the car to shut off. Outside of that, i have no idea. But your POA sounds logical. My guess would be something in the electrical if that fails.

I dont think its my turbonator. I have it very securely mounted and wired. lol jk I also have a feeling its going to be something electrical.

Quote:
Redog: Happened to mine when the alternator took a crap.

Drove the car for about 10 miles all on battery

Looks like Ill have to check my alt too. Hopefully it wont be anything too big. I was actually planning on some modding.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
I figured you probably didnt have one of those, but its always worth a shot. Haha. My guess would be alt, wires, ignition, something in that general area.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
im gonna say loose connection with your PCM fuse in the drivers fuse box or something with your ignition cylinder that is causing you to crank the car without all of the components being on. could also be your security light

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Failing fuel pump maybe?
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I know when I flip my passlock II bypass switch before I start my car it will do the same thing....wonder if it is a security issue...ie passlock II fault? Good luck!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
jlong
GL Member

jlong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal_awakening View Post
Failing fuel pump maybe?

Good guess. I have seen that happen before on a chevy lumina. It will just get worse and worse. I don't know how to test the fuel pump though.
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
is it stalling in gear or in park? these cars (3400 at least) is less likely to stall in gear for whatever reason. i learned that from spruce on gagt.com when we were working on my VE tune. if you have this issue in the future throw it in gear as fast as you can.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Valley olds
GLS member

After yesterdays incident, it hasn't happened again. From yesterday to today, I have turned the car on around 10 times with no issues.

I just finished changing my plugs and fuel filter. Plugs seemed ok. Fuel filter was pretty clogged though. Sure hope it was that, and me running a clogged filter didnt mess up my fuel pump.
The PCM fuse seems ok. Tomorrow I am taking the car to the mechanic to check an issue I had with smoke coming out of my steering wheel a while back. Maybe these incidents are somehow linked.

Quote:
lonnie: I know when I flip my passlock II bypass switch before I start my car it will do the same thing....wonder if it is a security issue...ie passlock II fault? Good luck!

What do you do when you have the passlock issue? Maybe thats what it was and thats why it didnt happen anymore.

Quote:
jackal2000: is it stalling in gear or in park? these cars (3400 at least) is less likely to stall in gear for whatever reason. i learned that from spruce on gagt.com when we were working on my VE tune. if you have this issue in the future throw it in gear as fast as you can.

It stalled in park. If it happens again, Ill try putting it in gear fast, that way at least it wont leave me stranded.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
Tomorrow I am taking the car to the mechanic to check an issue I had with smoke coming out of my steering wheel a while back...

Man talk about drive it like you stole it...

All the connections were okay including battery post connections?

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Valley olds
GLS member

Lol, yeah, I thought that was weird, Its only done it like 2 to 3 times though. Little puffs of smoke would come out of the steering wheel for a couple seconds. I just redid the battery connections today. They seemed to be good.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
where's the fuel filter located? I probably should check mine. Have never checked it since I bought it a few years ago. lol
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
Valley olds
GLS member

Fuel filter is behind the fuel tank.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
itsbmw

that happened to me but it was my BCM. Glad to hear you got it working tho. Id get your alt tested. They do it for free at the autoparts store.