Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Alero Starts then Shuts Off

Hello everyone. A while ago I had posted a thread about how my car would randomly shut off. During that ordeal, I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition module, Ignition coil, spark plug boots, and spark plugs. A While before that I also replaced the battery and had my alternator repaired.

For a while, my car seemed to be working perfectly fine. Today however, I encountered a new issue. I went to the store in the morning, and my car turned on without issues. I go to work, same thing. A couple of hours later, I am on my way to lunch and my car starts then immediately shuts off. Since lunch, my car has not been able to stay on for more than a second. The security light does not seem to turn on, nor do I see any other lights.

Any ideas on what it could be? I am thinking ignition switch. Any other ideas?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
agree
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Could be. There is a recall for the ignition switch. So take advantage of that.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
I just came from visiting my car. A neighbor suggested it could be the starter. So we went, and we did two things. We disconnected the battery cable a couple of minutes and lightly tapped the starter. After doing that my car turned on and I brought it back home. Now I guess I will wait for the weekend to take it to the mechanic. I don't really trust the car enough to keep using it like that. If it is the switch, I will see what gm does with the recall.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago to ask about the ignition recall for my 2003 Alero and the service writer looked up my VIN # in their program and it said there is no ignition switch recall for our vehicles. I did this cuz my tumbler is sticky.

As for your issue the switch could be the problem for sure. If the car is not getting a signal from your MAF that could do it as well. If you have the 3.4. Doesn't sound like a fuel issue because the car just flat shuts off. It's an ignition issue which the computer controls. Crank sensor can also cause this start and shut off issue. Does it do it when the car is cold or hot? Or does it do it no matter what temp the engine is?
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
I highly doubt a bad ignition switch would cause a start-stall condition.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago to ask about the ignition recall for my 2003 Alero and the service writer looked up my VIN # in their program and it said there is no ignition switch recall for our vehicles. I did this cuz my tumbler is sticky.

As for your issue the switch could be the problem for sure. If the car is not getting a signal from your MAF that could do it as well. If you have the 3.4. Doesn't sound like a fuel issue because the car just flat shuts off. It's an ignition issue which the computer controls. Crank sensor can also cause this start and shut off issue. Does it do it when the car is cold or hot? Or does it do it no matter what temp the engine is?

Thats weird cause there was just a recall out for these cars.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote