Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
amp under seat

I am thinkin of mounting my door pod amp under my passanger side seat. any suguesstions or information on things to avoid ? or should I just mount it in the trunk ? Im torn if I do it in the trunk I am not the type to just throw it in there. I would build some kinda wall or something and I don't know if I want to get in to that right now. I don't want it mounted on the back seat

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
if you go under the seat, you will have to watch the little heater vent for the back seat that is under the seats... that is all i can think of that would get in the way, and possible make the amp too hot and not let it ventilate to cool properly...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
You may have issues with your grounds.

Your radio is grounded up front, amp under the seat then an amp in back for subs... Not good.

Easiest thing to do is make a simple amp rach, thats what I did.

I cut up some 3/4" MDF to fit right under that formed square bar behind the seat. Take a look in the trunk you will see it.

I recessed some "T" mounting brackets into the mdf, covered it. Secured it to the top square bad with 4 self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws. It was pretty solid.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i would say buid a wall like i did, unless you really dont have the room, but i doubt that.

the champ didnt have room but still got it done

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
You may have issues with your grounds.

Your radio is grounded up front, amp under the seat then an amp in back for subs... Not good.

Easiest thing to do is make a simple amp rach, thats what I did.

I cut up some 3/4" MDF to fit right under that formed square bar behind the seat. Take a look in the trunk you will see it.

I recessed some "T" mounting brackets into the mdf, covered it. Secured it to the top square bad with 4 self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws. It was pretty solid.
Ryan do you have some pics of the back? I would like to see the brackets to hold it in there and what it looks like from the back. I've been wanting something like this for some time now.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

I will see what I can do to get some pics tomorrow night.

Thats the bracket I used. Got it at Lowes.

If you look up in the trunk theres a straight flat piece running the width of it. I cut the board so it would be snug. Used my router to flush mount the T Brackets. The top of the T then simply screwed into the flat piece on the ho.

Beware my trunks a disaster right now... lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I will see what I can do to get some pics tomorrow night.

Thats the bracket I used. Got it at Lowes.

If you look up in the trunk theres a straight flat piece running the width of it. I cut the board so it would be snug. Used my router to flush mount the T Brackets. The top of the T then simply screwed into the flat piece on the ho.

Beware my trunks a disaster right now... lol.
Cool I would appreciate it and if this is that easy then I would love to do this for mine. As soon as I seen the pic I could tell where you got it from and could probably tell you which Aisle cause I'm in there at least twice a week LOL!. Do you remember the measurements? If not I could get them but any info in advance is a plus. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Theres the pics of the area I was talking about. notice the holes.

I didnt get a pic of my amp rack thats down, darns the rain/snow/sleet/hail mix we got going on...

You will notice I had to trim away a bunch of plastic also. The board fit very snug between the towers and I had to cut some 45' degree angles to clear the radius in the corners. The 45's were tight and helped keep it all in place. It wasnt rock solid, but it wasnt moving anywhere either. I tend to err in part to doing as little modifications as possible, no holes I dont really have to, etc.

Last edited by Ryan from Ohio : 03-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Ryan from Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Oh ok Thanks Ryan I see exactly what you did I knew what you were talking about just had to see what the back looked like. Then this is a pretty cool and simply thing to do I noticed on yours that you didn't carpet it any reason? I know once I do this that I'm going to carpet it. Hopefully I have enough space to get 3 amps and a crossover on it. Does this cause any change in sub performance that you noticed, and did you try to keep it air tight at all, what are your thoughts on that?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
think I might do what ryan did but put the amps on the trunk side. did you attach the bottom of the mdf ? or the sides ? or just the top

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YALEROYNOT View Post
think I might do what ryan did but put the amps on the trunk side. did you attach the bottom of the mdf ? or the sides ? or just the top
Damn I forgot to ask that! Yeah what about the bottom Ryan I assume that its not attached there because of the snuggness of the sides. It almost looks posibble to put a hinge in it at the top to lift it up towards the rear if you needed to get something in there, just a thought of course.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Its covered in Grey Vinyl, no carpet.

Its not attached accept for the top.

I run my wires straight down and grounded to the floor at the welded seam.

You can always buils a box with an amp rack right on it.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Its covered in Grey Vinyl, no carpet.

Its not attached accept for the top.

I run my wires straight down and grounded to the floor at the welded seam.

You can always buils a box with an amp rack right on it.
Yeah the only thing about that is if someone takes your box then they take everything, and we got some fully equip theives around here that carry tools and crap. I'd rather them see the box and say ok I'll grab this and not worry about the amps, cause they wont see them.