Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-27-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
nightrider

i have coolant near the egine i was told it is the headgasket does or did anyonehave this problem. if u did how much is it toget fixed i was gunna have my buddy do it u think its a possibility or less stress sendin it t a shop
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
u under warrenty still? If so probably nuthing, but if your out of warrenty it may cost a bit. I believe around $700. If you car has low mileage you may be able to get GM to goodwill it for you. Good luck with it man!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I had my Manifold done and the gaskets looked like crap. Since the car needed new gaskets for the job hopefully I beat it.

Good luck with yours

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:04 PM   #4
K Dan
GX Member

K Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
check your oil for coolant and vice versa. Check under the oil cap for a milky substance and under the coolant cap for brown crap. Where on your engine is the coolant? I had a fluid stain on my head right below the lower intake manifold, i brought my car in and they said the gasket was leaking BAD, i had changed the oil a few days before and there was white stuff draining out. Damn GM and their crappy gaskets issed:, i have a 03 w/ 25k miles so I didnt pay a penny. i'm serioulsey considering getting a new car now, who knows how long it was leaking for and antifreeze isn't good for engine lubrication at all. And after they fixed my car the engine was skipping, and they found 4 leaky injector o-rings.
K Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
bigd6983

I have A leak, im pretty sure its oil that is sitting on top of the tranny and it heats up and cools down and its turned almost a reddish bergundy color I was told thats what happens when oil heats up and cools down. Also my engine coolant light came on so i checked and it was low and found that dark brown smudge previously talked about, i have a 2000 with about 74000. I bought it used from a honda dealership but opted for the 5 year extra warrenty with i think 100 co payment. But I have heard a lot of people having this problem is it something i could have done for free because of all the trouble, or am i out a 100 bucks and there going to flush my engine coolant. replies would be appreciated thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
StealthAlero99

I had an antifreeze leak..... the part was 80$ and a friend of the family put it in for 300$ my buddy took his to the dealer last year for the same thing..... 800$
Old 02-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
AleroAngel83

Yeah, I'd heard the head gasket was a recurring problem with the 3.4L, I'm hoping mine won't crap out before my lease is up. I can't believe GM won't recall it since so many people are having the same issue. And of course I heard about this AFTER I got the car, so I popped open my coolant and there's Bars Leaks in there floatin around, which has got me double worried. Any body got any suggestions of what I can do to prevent the problem from costing me a fortune, or is it just a sit and wait kinda thing?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #8
3.4Alero

Sit and wait, or have it replaced now as a preventative measure.

Oh, and FYI, it's not the head gasket, its the lower intake manifold gasket.