Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Alero04

good morning!
now i want to get an exhaust...ive heard from all u guys that magnaflow is really good...i want that nice sound u get on non ricer cars...i do NOT want the fart sound...i have the 2.2 ecotec and i was just wondering wtf it would sound like. i dont want it sounding like utter crap!
let me kno guys and gals
and maybe this should be in the 2.2 ecotec forum but whatever...its too early for my brain to be functioning
Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Oldsmopimp

Holla at ya boy girl! Well..... the ecotec ay???? Its a four cyl, and well...Its gunna sound ricey no matter what. Oldsman has a SLP magnaflow setup I belive, and his sounds pretty damn good for a 4banga. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
I dunno how the 2.2 stacks up to the 2.4, but i had a magnaflow on my other alero and it didn't sound too bad at all...granted it sounds better on my 3.4, but what doesnt?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
It's kinda hard to make a 4 cyl not sound ricey.

I'd try a flowmaster muffler

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
i have a magnaflow on a 3400. and with just the muffler it was ricey, loud and had bad drone. added a 31" glass pack to make it sound 10x better.

so it depends on what magnaflow you get, the one doubleO had was for dual exhaust, a "camaro' style muffler. if its dual exhaust you want, then you can go magnaflow. or magnaflow makes a muffler with a IN and OUT on the same side, so the exhaust basically does a U turn inside, they're alot quiter than the one i got (does a Y inside)

or, if you want twin exhaust like stock, id get a Dynomax superturbo muffler. there not strait through, but they dont have baffles. they do a S curve inside them. flowmasters have to many baffles, to restrictive.

no matter what you get, if you dont like the end result, if its to highpitched or loud, replacing the resonator with a glass pack will lower the pitch and make it quieter. i ordered the longest one they made, 31" which just barely fit, but it only cost me $25 shipped. there strait through, perforated core, so there is no obstruction to flow.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
OK depending on what you want to spend and if you want to do it all yourslef, i got a Flowmaster 40 series to replace the stock muff, left everything else stock and just added a tip. It sounds pritty deep for a 4 banger. It drones thou, only way to explain it is if you have been in annother car with flowies like a 5.0L with em... but its not as bad as that... lol

My car gets complements (from ricers ) all the time, for what they are worth. lol My car is far from raspy, verry low toned, and mellow.

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

cutelilcntrygrl is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a brand new dynomax, never been out of the box except to look at it, if you want it. I was gonna have it put on but haven't had the time to, nor can I find anyone around here that will do it. It's the same one that Mike was talking about.

http://www.myspace.com/smr612
cutelilcntrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
gxryan

Quote:
I have a brand new dynomax, never been out of the box except to look at it, if you want it. I was gonna have it put on but haven't had the time to, nor can I find anyone around here that will do it. It's the same one that Mike was talking about.

Which dynomax muffler do u have and how much did u pay as well how much do you want and were are u?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

It's the super turbo muffler. I'm not sure the exact amount I paid but I think it was like $45 USD. I'll have to find the reciept and tell you for sure. I'm in Kentucky.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Grouch

The Dynomax muffler is a very nice sounding one. I have it on my 2.4 and it sounds great. Nice deep tone, not raspy or ricey at all.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #11
BandAlero

Quote:
Originally posted by cutelilcntrygrl@Mar 26 2005, 05:33 PM
I'm in Kentucky.

w00t. KY Alero's in the house!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #12
cutelilcntrygrl
I love boobs

^^ Where are you?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the magnaflow on my ecotec. It still did sound like a 4 cyl (nothing can cure that) but a very unique sound to it. I'm not going to lie and say it sounded like a V6 or V8, but it sounded like no 4 cyl out there (a property of the ecotec motor itself). Everyone in my car club said they liked the sound and could hear me coming by its loudness and uniqueness.

I also loved the look of the muffler.....just e prepared for a loud exhaust.
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote