Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-18-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Submitted by Scadada99
I don't think anyone posted anything about this, so here I go!
I'll try to have pics of everything removed as soon as I can(EDIT: My digital camera is kind of broken; these have to come much later).

1. Center console(whole area from below middle vents to the cubby in between the seats)(NOTE: This is for the automatics - I'm not sure how to get the manual apart.)
First, Turn your car to the "on" position(but don't start it) and shift into "D". Remove your shift knob(for the stock knob, it's a small clip in the front; looks like a big staple - take a flathead screwdriver and just wedge the thing out; and then lift the knob off of the shaft[heh heh-shaft]). Take out the ashtray(if you have it - I don't), and remove the black rubber piece from inside the cup. Now grab the edge of that cup closest to the shifter and pull back, Wiggle it if you can, and it should lift right off. Push the traction control switch(if equipped) up through the hole...it's held on with a small clip on the back, just lift that and the button will unplug. Remove the light bulb by twisting it either left or right...I don't remember...and it'll pop right out. Now, you can get at the center stack. Grab the bottom of the console(where the cubby hole is) and pull firmly. Some clips are holding it on at the top and sides, so once the bottom is free, work either your fingers or a small screwdriver in between the piece and the sides of the console(You'll hear it "cracking"...don't worry, nothing's breaking). Make sure you have all of the metal clips around the center piece. Remove the Climate control panel by using either a wrench or a 9mm socket and remove all 4 bolts holding the panel on. You could also unplug all of the wires on the back, but it's easier just to remove it. Remove the wire from the back of the lighter(I think it just snaps in). The lighter plug turns - line up the tabs with the holes(you'll see 'em back there) and push the socket out through the front; if you can't get that out, just mask it off when you paint it - I had to do that. Then remove the cubbyhole light by pushing forward on it - it'll snap out of it's hole.
Step 1 done!

Step 2. Vents
For the driver's side vent, remove the change cup under the dash(just pull up and out on it, it comes right out). If you can, work your fingers up into the hole and push forward on the vent piece(you'll feel the back of the dimmer switch - push forward on that)and the vent should dislodge. Remove the dimmer switch(it's held in by clips) and you're done with that. The trim is held onto the vent by more clips - you can remove that, or paint the whole thing(รก la Silent). The middle vent and the passenger side vent take a little more work. For the middle vent:
Remove your radio(it's a lot easier to work in there).
There are metal clips holding the vent in the console. Get a flathead screwdriver in there and work the clips out of the dash - It takes some work, and it's pretty frustrating - I bent my clips getting it out of the dash(if that happens, just bend 'em back).
The passenger side vent takes some work also. Remove your glove box(discussed further down) and remove the fuse panel cover on the passenger side(that pulls right off). If you can get in there, use that screwdriver again to pop the clips out of the dash(I didn't get this to work, and in turn, cracked my vent trim in half - you may want to ask someone else about that one)(UPDATE: I just masked off the area around it and painted the whole thing while it was still in the car. USE A LOT OF MASKING TAPE AND SHEETS/ANY OTHER DROP CLOTH-TYPE OBJECTS IF YOU DO THIS! UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR ENTIRE DASH TO BE BLUE/WHATEVER OTHER COLOR YOU PAINT IT, IT MUST BE MASKED OFF WELL!)
Removing the little defroster vents(On top of either side of the dash) is the easiest thing to do with the whole car. Just take any object and pry up. Those vents pop right off.
Step 2 done!

Step 3. Glove box
To remove the glove box, look at the bottom of the door. You'll see 2 9mm bolts - remove 'em both. Now, open the glove box. You'll see 4 more of those same bolts along the top - Remove all of 'em, and Pull the glove box out of its hole(if it doesn't fall out on its own). Make sure to disconnect the light before taking it completely out.
Step 3 done!

Step 4. Miscellaneous trim
This includes:
1)Trim around instrument panel
2)door lock switch
3)trim around ignition switch & hazard button
4)clothes hangers in back
5)seat-belt top caps
6)Overhead light
7)Door panel trim(around the window switches and mirror controls for driver, window switch and doorlock switch for passenger)

1)The trim around the instrument panel is easy to get off. Take your socket wrench(or any socket handle with an extention) and your 9-mm socket and unscrew the bolts at the top of the trim. Pull forward on the trim until you feel it come loose(for those with tilt wheels - tilt it all the way down - it's a hell of a lot easier). Remove the trip meter switch in the same manner as the traction control switch(described earlier).

2)The door-lock switch is held in on one side by a small clip - the side facing the back of the car(when looking at the door, it's the left side). Take your - you guessed it - flathead screwdriver and place it in between the trim piece and the door and push on the clip - it should pop off. The switch itself is held to the back of the trim with more clips - pry up on 'em and the lock'll come out.

3)The ignition switch trim comes right off - Just pry it out(like the defroster vents). Take care to put it in exactly how it came out - the key won't turn as easily(it still works, but it seems a little tougher to turn - it took me a couple of tries to get it right). The hazard button trim is the same; it just pops off.

4)The clothes hangers come off very easily - just place a small penknife into the little notch on the front(you'll see it), and pry it loose. This oval piece will come out, and then just pull the hanger off of the ceiling.

5)The seat belt covers just pop right off. Just pull 'em and they'll come loose.

6)The overhead light takes some work. It's held in with plastic clips - I kind've just wiggled it and it came out...remove the wire(I think it just snaps in and out), and you're home free. Just mask the cover for the light really well - you don't want paint on your dome light.

7)Removing this is 3 steps:
a. First, look at the door. You'll see under the door-sill that there's a plastic piece with a small notch in it(right above the pocket on the door). Pry this off with a small object(probably your flat-head screwdriver). Remove the 2 phillips screws.
b. Pull the bottom part of the trim off(it has 2 clips on it; don't lose 'em).
c. Run the flat-head around the top piece of trim and it'll eventually pop off. The switches are a pain to get out(especially the driver's side window swich), but remove 'em and you'll have a much easier time.
Step 4 done!

And that's everything(that I could get off, anyway). You can also remove the A-pillar cover, the floor runner cover, etc, etc., but this is what I did.
Hope this helps some people!

UPDATE: My Cardomain site is being updated now. New pics up!
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Just Adding more info from another post....

Submitted by boarder211
Quote:
Actually, to get out the middle vent, what you have to do is pull out your stereo. When you've got it out, if you reach up towards the middle vent, you'll feel two metal clips. Push them up, and the middle vent will pop out. That's the only way to get it out. Prying it out won't work becaues the two metal clips will catch. To remove the passenger's side vent, you gotta go up through the glove compartment, because it's got the same clips on it.

Another passenger vent shot

Finally the center vent

Additional Comments:
Sweetalero99
Quote:
the center vent along with the passenger vent are a biznitch to get out. take ur time. u will get frustrated.....
Purple&black
Quote:
Something to note about the passenger vent...
After you take the glovebox out, provided that you don't have an extraordinarily-sized cranium, you can probably get enough of your head into the glovebox hole to see the clips. Slide two screwdrivers right under the clips (very easy if you can see what you're doing) and then the bottom of the vent will pop right out.

The driver's side vent was the easiest for me. I just got hold of the bottom and gave a good tug. If you pop out the coin holder underneath it, you should be able to reach up and push it out from behind. Or...if you remove the driver's side fuse panel cover, then you can probably stick a screwdriver in there to push up the metal clip just like on the other two vents...

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote