Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 11-18-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Quote:
I put this CAI on my '01 GL 3.4 several weeks ago and wanted to do some driving before posting a review.

Communication with Kyle at Dr. Speed before purchasing was excellent, prompt and thorough. He answered all my questions completely.

Product arrived 5 days after ordering and packed very well and securely. Everyting you need is there. Various components were labeled for easy identification. Color step-by- step directions were very good...only comment would be that the directions should show or describe EXACTLY which fenderwell fastners need to be removed. I ended up removing two more than necessary...and they can be a BITCH to get out! A nice touch was that the filter came pre-oiled...not sure if K&N does this right out of the box.

Installation of the components went pretty smoothly. You do need to move the battery (but not remove) to get at one nut fastener and also have more room to move around when putting in the tubing that goes into the wheelwell. Again, a nice touch here was having PCV and another sensor grommet lubed so your stock pieces would slide in easier. The one piece of the stock system is held on by a nut fastener right behind the headlight. After a few good pulls, the plastic stretched out and the piece pulled right out. Now you have a uninterrupted air flow right to the filter.

Overall appearance: It looks great...beautiful polished finish and red connectors really compliment the engine bay. With the stock sensors in place, it really looks like an OEM component and not some hacked together amateur effort. Only negative comment would be that the tubing butts right up to battery...I wish it had a small bend towards the firewall to take up some of the empty space and not be right up against the battery.

Overall performance: It really sounds cool when you nail it and when first started...really sucks air! During normal idle and driving around town, you really don't notice any sound difference. You DO notice more torque. It also has eliminated the hard warm start problem I had after putting on my SLP catback and it has also reduced some of the interior noise at 40-50MPH that I had after the exhaust was put on. Both big improvements I wasn't expecting. Oh, when reving the motor to entice local import tuners to a little stoplight to speed limit action, the exhaust pops/rumbles/backfires more when coming down in RPM's...I get alot more "what are you running in that thing?" worried questions than before! From a "seat of the pants" feeling, there is more power, but not a holy grail where you're going to be that much faster. Finally, it seems like I'm getting better gas mileage...most likely because now the motor is breathing free.

Bottom Line: I would highly recommend this product!!! Great communication, shipping time, appearance, and improvements in performance make this a must do modification.
Quote:
Originally posted by "Grouch"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grouch")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Dr.Speed is at www.doctorspeed.com it runs $200 with red, blue or yellow couplers. Here's the pic they have on their site:
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by "Grant"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grant")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Glad you all liked the review. The picture at www.doctorspeed.com and posted above by Grouch looks just like my install. I suppose I should have taken pics during the install...but I was too focused on getting the job done and buttoned back up.

The tubing is polished both on the outside for looks and on the inside for smooth airflow.

I guesstimate that I've picked up 1-2 mpg...won't know for sure until I do more driving.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention as that the harness for the IAT sensor was very tight with the new install. SO, I pulled the plastic fastener that hold the wire loom this harness comes from out of the mounting hole and gained more slack to the harness. Doesn't look cheesy or unfinished...[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-"alerogls01"
@
Hey guys,

I just installed this tonight and went for a drive. I notice after I ease off the pedal (after nailing it) I hear what sounds like air being 'released' sorta like a blow off valve, but not as loud. Is this normal?

Another thing, the coupler that goes between the tubing and throttle body looks like it's made a little too long and is slightly "scrunching" up and pressing up against the IAT sensor plug. Is this normal? For all other tubing, they don't need to be touching each other inside the couplers right?

It was a pain installing this thing at night with no garage, but no other time.

Sorry if I'm being seriously retentative - I'm an accountant!
[/quote]
<!--QuoteBegin-"Alerosince99"

Just installed this today. Directions are pretty sound. Was a piece from the original air filter I wasn't expecting in the fender well but came out easy. I didnt remove the battery to get at that one bolt but did remove the headlamp and it was easy to get at that way as well. Looks great and definately a noticeable performance increase.[/quote]

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Grouch

Quote Grant:
Quote:
I purchased this CAI over the summer and found it to be high quality, well-packaged, good instructions, and shipped immediately. Great email communication as well.

Only negative, but would be with any CAI, is the wheel well cover fasteners can be a beeyach to remove without hacking them up. Autozone has replacements if needed, so no big deal.

It has made both a visual and performance difference.

Well worth buying!

Grant
Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
Oldsmopimp

I got my stage 3R CAI today from Dr. Speed. I was gonna install it, but my pops talked me out of it and told me to wait till better weather..i.e. spring.
But it came very nicley paked..with instructions etc. Everything looks great, and i'll let ya know how I like it once its on the car.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Hobbes

Is there a filter on this, and if so how do you canhge/ clean it? I might get one too

And will someone post a pic of an alero with one, that doctor speed pic is of a grand am, do you have to keep that plastic black ribbed piece, to navigate around the battery. How does it work?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
how much of a bend is there in the pipe?

can u take a pic of it not installed?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
derek_ski99
GL Member

derek_ski99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to derek_ski99 Send a message via Yahoo to derek_ski99
2 bends: 45' and 90'
Comes with 7 inch K&N Filter i believe.
to clean, use k&n filtercharger kit (10-15bucks)
to get at, remove tire, fender liner and pop the cone off.
ALL old air box comes out
Brent: and in the end...... cherrington is still a cum dumpster whose closest contact with HOT women is through a car internet forum ........... so as long as we can agree on that........ we can all go back to being friends.

Being Brents friend is teh hotness
derek_ski99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
derek_ski99
GL Member

oh, and the pic of it on a grandam is how it will look in the alero...same engine, same compartment, same car practically
Brent: and in the end...... cherrington is still a cum dumpster whose closest contact with HOT women is through a car internet forum ........... so as long as we can agree on that........ we can all go back to being friends.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:11 PM   #8
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

i thought 90 degree bends were bad?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
derek_ski99
GL Member

typically they are, but the piping is all mandrel bent polished aluminum....not rubber or plastic. Also, compared to our stock airboxes, anything is better. If you look at the stock piping, it is all plastic and rubber in spots. The stock plastic piping actually makes 2 90' turns.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
Grouch

ppratt:
"Well not to much to say that some one else hasn't. It was very easy to install. The direction were dead nuts on, except it didn't say to remove the bold from behind the headlight. didn't get to drive it much maybe a mile or two. You can realy tell when you put your foot down (sound wise). Only if it ran like it sounds. "
Old 06-13-2004, 07:00 PM   #11
shox

hrm looks good guys, wonder if they ship to canada.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

they do. go check out their website.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #13
shox

ah i didnt see where it said they did... but i ordered a stage 3r cai.
Ill give a review when i get it.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

hey shox where in BC do u live?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
shox

Vernon, check your pm.

Also this exact CAI is 10 bucks cheaper on alerospeed.com than doctorspeed.com i swear they were the same company, i ordered from doctorspeed and noticed this after. ah well. :/

www.alerospeed.com
www.doctorspeed.com
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #16
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

Well, I ordered a Dr. Speed a while ago and today I finally had the time to put it on. I had read about others problems with sucking up water, and here in Vancouver we get alot of rain this time of year.

So I only installed part of the CAI. Here are some pics to give you the idea.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #17
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

As you can see its simply a WAI. So for anyone thinking of buying a CAI from DR speed, but would also like a WAI this is definatly the way to go. I only installed the first coupler and then attached the filter to the MAF.

It sounds great when you get on it!

Heres an engine bay shot just for the hell of it.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:35 AM   #18
Eh_nigma
the "Why Not?" Guy

Eh_nigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Eh_nigma
Hell of a job on that man :thumbsup:
-Why the hell not?
Eh_nigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:08 PM   #19
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

cheers, I hope Dr.speed doesnt get mad....... :rolleyes:
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #20
newyorker1985

Anyone got an opinion on the Cold Air Box that is coming soon. I was gonna pre-order one before the prices go up, but if the stage 3 gives better performance than that would be my choice. I'd appreciate any opinion.