Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 11-18-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Store/Site purchased: Walmart

Cost/Shipping: $37.99/pr (purchased 2 pairs, one pair 9006 low beams and one pair 9005 high beams)

Store service, contact, delivery, problems, props: I hate walmart, but they are right there in the automotive section.

Initial product impressions, quality: The packaging doesn't look too spectacular, but the bulbs look pretty wicked. They have a purplish hue to them.

Instructions, good, bad, none, etc: They had instructions, but I didn't read them. You just twist out your old headlights, disconnect them, and put then new ones in.

Installation notes, easy, hard, PITA: Probably one of the easiest mods you can do.

If not self installed, cost of installation: Freebie

Performance, appearance opinions: They look pretty darn good for halogen bulbs. In fact, they are the closest thing to HID lights I have seen without ballasts. Best thing is they won't melt your wires like all the other aftermarket bulbs. The light from these is very white with a hint of purpleish blue. Compared to my Mr. Jung HIDs, they are definately not as bright, but they are much better than stock.

Any other thoughts about the product: I Highly reccomend these bulbs.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Grouch

Quote:
Originally posted by "Borlalero"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Borlalero")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>These things rock 50.00 for a pair of headlights (9005) and they look really good, its a nice bright white not a cheesy blue . They're definitely worth the money! You can get them at most auto parts stores.[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by "Grouch"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grouch")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Dang, thought I had posted a review of these somewhere. Guess not.

I have had these bulbs for several months and love them. They are a nice clear white as opposed to the yellowish tint the stock bulbs have. Definately an inexpensive upgrade. They can be found at Autozone, PepBoys, etc. The cheapest I found them was PepBoys at $15/ea.

Up until 6/30/2003 there is a $10 rebate available from Sylvania on a pair of these bulbs to make the deal even nicer. For more info see the Sylvania Rebate Info sticky post in Automotive Classifieds.

Part numbers getting screwy here:
9005 - high beam
9006 - low beam
9007 - Grand Am[/b]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("blackalero3400")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Sounds like you guys have had these in for some time now. Or some of you have. These are just pop in right no box u have to wire in to place?? and these wont melt any thing correct. that could get expencive so the regular bulb is which 9005 or the 9006? The low regular ones are which ones the middle ones i thought. On the headlights the inner ones closer to the olds sign are the brights right ? thanks for your help sounds good. What are they called on the box they come in want to make sure i don't get the wrong ones Does it say hyper white or white something like this?? thanks agian[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grouch")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I have had these in a few months, no problems. No you do not need to upgrade your wiring, nor will these melt them. They are plug & play, just a bulb switch no other "things" to add on or wire in. On the box (or plastic bubble) it says Sylvania Silverstar if I remember right. The actual part numbers are 9005ST - high beam (the bulb closest to the Olds logo) & 9006ST - low beam.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Illarin")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grouch")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I have had these in a few months, no problems. No you do not need to upgrade your wiring, nor will these melt them. They are plug & play, just a bulb switch no other "things" to add on or wire in. On the box (or plastic bubble) it says Sylvania Silverstar if I remember right. The actual part numbers are 9005ST - high beam (the bulb closest to the Olds logo) & 9006ST - low beam.[/b][/quote]

I've heard countless stories about our connectors being burnt out by aftermarket bulbs.. what's the difference between these and those that've been frying stuff?[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Grouch")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Those are much higher wattage bulbs than the Silverstars. Therefore drawing more current through the wires, making them hotter and melting the wires. Silverstars are design to be factory replacement bulbs. Though I think they are 60-watts as opposed to the 55-watt factory bulb in the low beams.

I've had the low beams installed since May or June sometime. I pulled my headlights out last month to clear them. There is no damage from these bulbs, nor do I believe there ever will be.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("blackalero3400")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Alright got the low bubls in and they defintley do ROCK mucho better then stock. Makes my brights and my fogs look yellower so they will need up gradded too. the fog lights are # what now 890 or something im not sure need to know the fog lights number though and is the fog light upgrade a 50 or 55 watt? if any one has upgraded there does it make em look whiter? thanks for all the info and I love the Sylvania lights tons better.

I went to get gas AND to test my new lights and when i came up on the car in front of ther bummper lit up brighter then ever before. I love the look very nice the ground has a little bit more of a blue tint to it too. You know that nice $$ looking type Without that expencive HID price maybe in a year or so ill get that HID kit if i really need it but these are really really nice have a great X-mas[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("alero_03")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just bought a pair eariler today, and i'm very pleased. Gives a nice soft glow. Paid $19.00 a piece at Auto Zone. Only got the lows, but will get the highs next week. I actually was planning to ge the PIAA's but for half the price and about the same quailty i can't complain. My buddy has HID's on his Focus SVT, and the color looks the same side-by-side, but his is just brighter.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("aRcTiCaLeRo")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Just wanted to say I picked up a pair of Silverstar's last week and they rock! I also will recommend anyone to upgrade their stock bulbs to these silverstars.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("2k Silver Alero")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>My very first mod was low beam silverstars. I love them. I think that they're probably the closest things to HID without the cost.[/b][/quote]

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Aleromi99")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>these are great bulbs and u can save some $$ over the HID's...

Ive had them for 2yrs now and they are great..[/b][/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-"99alero"
@
these bulbs are awesome. But now because im getting purple neons, i have bought purple headlight, fog light bulbs to match everything[/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-"Phil Ander"

Bought these bulbs a few weeks ago and think they are great. For those of you looking for these in Canada, you can find the low beams at Canadian Tire for $24.99 and the highs are $27.99 (if my memeory serves me well).[/quote]
Old 08-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
99AleroGuy

how do i install them i cant figure out how to get the whole headlight piece out cuz thats the only way u can get to the bulbs
Old 08-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Grouch

There's two little black metal tabs on top of the light assembly. Lift those up and wiggle the whole light assembly out. Then you will see two big round black rubber covers, pull those off and you have access to the bulbs.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love mine. The pic below shows the difference well I think. The bulb in the left headlight is stock, the Silverstar is installed on the right. Hope this helps.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Grouch

$5 Rebate Coupon available for these. Good for US customers only. Valid through 3-31-2005. Here's the link to it: Silverstar Rebate
Old 12-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
Sno

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Scre...gory_Code=ALEXT

i'm looking into getting the whole package... can you get the entire Silverstar bulbs at walmart? signals, hi, low beams, fog, etc?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
I was just wondering the same thing, seeing that my headlights are burnt out, but the high beams work fine. (That was fun driving with just high beams last night. mwaahahahahaaaa!)

n/m on wondering if they are in Wal-Mart. I bought some cool blues because they were half the price of silverstars. I just needed head lights.

@ Walmart, they have the highs and lows, but not fogs or signals (in silverstars, anyway)
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Crolero

I got the Phillips Premium bulbs deliverd the other day, they say 30% more light cant wait to compare them to the silverstars. (too cold to replace bulbs now)
Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tomorrow I'm going to go out and get these 9006 low beams. I have a good digicam so hopefully I'll be able to put out some good comparison pics.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
mlcroy20

Just bought some last week, they are really good! I got mine from Autozone for $16 a piece. It's nice actually being able to see the road at night when I drive..lol... :thumbsup:
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
eag182
V.I.P. Member

Well, I certainly planned on getting good pics, but it was frickin cold, so this is the best comparison I could get. When I put them in and looked directly at the lights like the picture I didn't see too much of a difference. But when I looked at what they illuminated from the drivers seat, the whiteness was more evident.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #13
Mr_White
Mile High Club

Mr_White is an unknown quantity at this point
I love mine too
Old 02-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #14
Mr_White
Mile High Club

Mr_White is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by eag182@Feb 18 2005, 05:43 PM
Well, I certainly planned on getting good pics, but it was frickin cold, so this is the best comparison I could get. When I put them in and looked directly at the lights like the picture I didn't see too much of a difference. But when I looked at what they illuminated from the drivers seat, the whiteness was more evident.
The one on the right is definitely whiter
Old 02-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
eag182
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1whiteAlero@Feb 18 2005, 08:27 PM

The one on the right is definitely whiter
...exactly
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #16
stealthlero
V.I.P. Member

stealthlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to stealthlero
no matter what ppl say, I love my SilverStars, much better than the other 2 kinds i've tried, even cheaper if you buy the set off ebay :thumbsup:
stealthlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #17
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
i got mine at autozone for like 12 a peice i think...i love them, i think it's one of the easiest mods you can do to a car that you'll definately notice
Old 04-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
snake_eyes2

I have had mine installed for 4-5 months now, only thing is....
Low beam is still bright white, hi beam/running lights are not so bright anymore and the filiment is starting to wear out. Other than that they are great.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #19
alero440
GLS member

alero440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero440 Send a message via MSN to alero440 Send a message via Yahoo to alero440
I have CATZ galaxy white HID wanna be's. I've had them for three years and they haven't gone dim on me yet. They look cool, almost like really HIDs only they don't have the same color changing affect on the road. I got them for $50 on a group buy. I would highly recommend these, but Catz is no longer so you can't get them, lol. I hope they don't burn out before I sell the car.

RIP OMGGMPOWAH 04/09/04-10/29/07

2003 Mazda 6s- redfire metallic- loaded and ready for fun!

"This bitch is drunk!" -me about myself at Killbear Prov. Park '07

alero440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #20
coredump

I've been using the Silverstars for my lights for the past year or so. The low/hi beams are still going good, but one of my headlights burnt out on me already.
I dont do alot of nighttime driving so my headlights are hardly on.

Very impressed with the quality of light they provide, not so impressed with their life span. Going to be looking for other, hopefully longer lasting, bulbs now.